Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any chances of snow in march?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

i just made this cus im sad that there was no snow in february- and the old thread stopped.so any chances-any models showing any chance of any possible return to cold weather??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I like this thread. :)

I have absolutely no idea how to predict the weather or if there is any chance of snow - I get all my weather info and predictions here.
    But I have "a feeling" we may see some snow in March :D

Looking for some of this soon:

An_Everclear_Afternoon%2C_Snow_Covered_Trees.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

same ive no idea how to predict weather or anything of the sort ,thats y i was ad when the other thread stopped :D just luvs the snow- u shud go on joe bastardis european blog and irish weather online nd the forum they all give info too- anyway ye i thinks theyre might be snow acoming to in march possibly a snowy st.patricks day :D i think we well deserve a foot of snow after this extremely mild and wet boring feb nd jan :pac:

got this off some website-says good chances of atleast a bit of snow in march and april :D

February

February as a whole is expected to be average. High Pressure looks likely to be sitting just to the South of the country which will allow a milder, Atlantic airflow to take hold across the United Kingdom. Due to the position of High Pressure I fully expect the wettest areas through February to be across the North where rainfall will be around average, further South rainfall is likely to be below average with above average sunshine. As we move towards the end of the month, High Pressure will begin to push Northwards.

Rainfall: Average

Temperatures: Average-Slightly Above

Sunshine: Average

March

March is generally expected to be very similar to February however this time, a weak area of High Pressure looks likely to be sitting across more Northern areas of the country and this will allow slightly colder air to push in from the East. Although bitterly cold weather is not expected, March is likely to be a more wintry month as a whole. Rainfall totals once again are expected to be below average so the dry theme looks likely to continue. Sleet and snow will affect Eastern counties.

Rainfall: Below Average

Temperatures: Average-Slightly Below

Sunshine: Above Average

April

April is expected to start off where March left off, however through the first week of the month High Pressure will begin to build to the West/South-West of the United Kingdom which will, for a time be drawing in much colder weather bring a spell of sleet and snow to many areas, but as this High Pressure system begins to develop we’ll see warmer air begin making its way up into the near continent and head towards us, so April ending on a Springlike but showery note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surely March will see some snow. Though it may be shortlived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hopefully not. Today is the example the entire month of March should follow weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Snowing on and off all day today where I am in North East England! Not sticking though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

as i predicted in the closed thread, i knew it was only a matter of time for a thread like this, looking forward to april's thread already :rolleyes:

i know i saw ur prediction in the last thread :) just tryin to keep snowlovers hopes up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No.

It will be an early spring this year which will compensate for the very late spring of 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    No.

It will be an early spring this year which will compensate for the very late spring of 2010.

I'd go with an average spring this year, early would prob mean it would be here already, and despite the mildness, there is no real growth of anything yet . .the grass is just more messy looking!!!

Average spring (i've heard!) = daffodils out on 1st march. Last year, it was the 18th!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

sorry tony, this pic is of a friends garden taken from her facebook page, my daffs are nearly there too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Min wrote: »
    No.

I am afraid not Min. There will be a snow storm on the Castlecomer around the 13th of March:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

We escaped the worst of the winter this season. It was more or less confined to December and we did not get the big freeze in November or January that had been almost a certainty and neither did we get the return to the cold as had been predicted for late February.

This spring has long been predicted to be a bad one, cold and miserable with heavy rain and blustery winds.

Seeing as we missed the worst, rather the best of the bad weather, I'm of the opinion that spring will be mild and the cold is gone until November again.

I am afraid not Min. There will be a snow storm on the Castlecomer around the 13th of March:p

In the UK met office forecast we trust :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Posted this on the Spring thread a few weeks ago and it kinda applies here

When trying to look ahead to March, just going by winters that had a moderate-strong La Nina (MEI values below -1) beforehand, some of the recent matches are 2008, 2000, 1999 and 1989 (which you can see the reports here http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-bulletin.asp ) it seems they we're generally sunny, mild but with variable rainfall amounts.

When tying in with winters that also had a positive QBO, the matches are for 2000 and 1999. They both had above average temperatures, sunshine close to or above normal, and were generally quite dry.

Though as December has shown, anything can happen and with the -ve PDO now in the mix, this March may well buck the trend!

It's still not to say we won't have snow, but I doubt we'll get any prolonged cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wispy

Wintry blast next week – Heads up

Posted Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:10:29

Quite confident now that we’ll see very cold weather returning during next week, with wintry weather for most of us. I’ll keep a close watch on how this develops because there is small chance of a widespread snow event for Britain developing. Snow in March is a relatively frequent occurrence, more common than in December for most of the country I think. Two key differences are that in March the seas around the UK are colder, so low level air doesn’t get warmed so much as it approaches Britain. The other side of the coin is that the sun is much stronger, and so midday temps will rise relatively quickly, and snow cover will quickly melt when the sun shines.
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com

yes thank you for your optimism nd keeping us snow lovers happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

id say we'r defo goina see some snow action soon, all the spring heads will be sickened :pac:

it gets better :) on the irish weather online forum- go onto long range weather discussions-then possible cold spell mid february- page 4 of that mark(iwo) posted some great news- looking like were in for some snow soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

All we hav to wait now for is a Darkman2 " Potential Wintry Showers Next Week" thread ... haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If I have to put up county wide air heaters myself I will, but that snow can **** right off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DarkJager wrote: »
    If I have to put up county wide air heaters myself I will, but that snow can **** right off. :D

Dont seem why a person on the weather forum wouldnt like to see a bit more snow! .... Tut tut tut!

Unless of course it disrupts ur lifestyle to the effect it causes harm, which then u can disregard my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Dont seem why a person on the weather forum wouldnt like to see a bit more snow! .... Tut tut tut!

Unless of course it disrupts ur lifestyle to the effect it causes harm, which then u can disregard my comment.

Screw that! As long as we get our snow, ''and if you dont like it, tough! Ive had my fun and that's all that matters!'':P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The Dublin 12z ensembles are looking quite interesting
    Dublinensembles.png

Unfortunately the 12z UKMO ain't so good, and the 06z ECM was only half there so still a while to go yet before we're even just guaranteed a cold snap...

It will not be much if it happens, most of you live on low land anyway.

so is it still looking good for snow chances??- chances were good yday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so is it still looking good for snow chances??- chances were good yday :)

not today im afraid

aww :( so any news any1, anything good to share with us- come on ppl dont let this thread die like all the other snow threads :P

i give up!!!!!:pac: theres no chance of any snow or cold for atleast the next 2 weeks cause of high pressure over us- i just want the summery weather to come quickly now im giving up on the snow...ive had my fair share of dissappointments since start of january now im just gonna look forward to the warm sunnny weather- ....until next year;) cant wait for the snow next yr- maybe itll be around from december til march next yr:D seeing as our winters r supposed to b gettin colder cus of climate change:D:cool:

Advertisement