Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife only found in Ireland ?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

For example I always thought the Irish Elk was exclusively Irish but appearently it's not. I'm not as well up on nature as I'm sure most of the rest of you are but still just wondering, is there or was their ever any type of wildlife only found in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Being so near Britain and mainland Europe, Ireland has not been isolated enough to have endemic species develop here. As all our wildlife has only colonised the island since the Ice Age ended, in natural terms only a short time ago, this is not surprising.

That said, a number of species have developed traits specific to Ireland, so we have endemic sub-species of some birds and mammals. I'm sure others who post here can give you a broad list of examples, but one that comes to mind is the Coal Tit. See www.birdsireland.com/pages/site_pages/features/coal_tit.html. As you'll see there are Irish subspecies of Dipper and Jay also.

I'll research a bit for you, and will post other examples, though I'm sure others will have posts before I'm ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Irish Hare and Stoat are both unique sub-species

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Also at least a couple of moths that are unique sub-species
    Bordered Gothic spp. hibernica
    Sandhill Rustic ssp. knilli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There's the Aran Bee, Bombus muscorum var. allenellus, found only on the Aran islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

could be totally wrong on this but wasnt there some sort or mole or vole found in the north munster region that was rare or something??

there was a road or some development project halted over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Isn't there the Durrow freshwater mussel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

trebor28 wrote: »
    could be totally wrong on this but wasnt there some sort or mole or vole found in the north munster region that was rare or something??

there was a road or some development project halted over it.

I think you may be thinking of the greater White Toothed Shrew. It's new find for Ireland but far from a species unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

I think you may be thinking of the greater White Toothed Shrew. It's new find for Ireland but far from a species unique to Ireland.

the shrew! i knew it was something like that, google wasnt showing up anything for vole/mole/mouse etc.

think i have actually seen a few of these guys around.

didnt know at the time they were rare!

Advertisement