Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Quick Credit- Anyone approved?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Got refused yesterday for credit on a lap top which was costing only €23 a month over 2 years.
    I'm self employed (which it says on the site isn't a problem),I have 100% perfect credit history, brought everything, statements, utility bills, drivers license etc that's needed, but computer says no :(
    The girl in the shop said the last 13 she tried to put through was refused also.
    The system wont issue a reason either.

Would be interested in hearing other peoples experiences..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

By law, under the Data Protection Acts, if you are applying for credit or a loan, the supplier of the facilities must give you a reason for not giving you the service. You are also entitled to have the decision as to the credit facilities done by a human, and not by a machine.

I suggest that you write to Harvey Norman asking for the reason(s) that you were not given the credit. I would also copy the letter to the Data Protection Commissioner and possibly the Financial Ombudsman. That should let you find out why they refused you credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

My bronther in law was refused credit too, he has a good job that pays well and the computer said no for a laptop too. Maybe the credit company think they are not going to make enough money on such a small purchase and its not worth there while unless its over a certain value.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect that the finance is arranged through an offshore company who will probably thumb their noses at Irish data protection and financial services legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know an 18 yr old student with a 2 year loan of 1000 for laptop. Has savings from working in the summer and the grant.

As far as I know it's not flexi-rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

My bronther in law was refused credit too, he has a good job that pays well and the computer said no for a laptop too. Maybe the credit company think they are not going to make enough money on such a small purchase and its not worth there while unless its over a certain value.

Yeah, think the cost of the credit over the 2 year period is only about 40/50 euro.

The Flexi rent thing is ridiculous tho, the €527 laptop on it, was costing €870 over 2 years, then you have to give them a final payment to own it outright, or return it in good condition and "upgrade" to another item.
    Think i'll just hit the Credit union for a loan at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah I warned him against the flexi-rent thing.

I went on the Dell website and selected the laptop i wanted, the same one that was in the shop., and chose the credit payment option.
    Turns out its the same credit company that Harvey Norman use, Creation Consumer Finance Limited.
    Not expecting any luck,i went through all the procedures, only difference being i selected full time employment, rather than self-employed from the drop down list,still using my company name,same phone numbers etc...
    And was accepted no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Is that credit not crazy dear. I was going to buy a new laptop and enquired about this. A 600 euro laptop was costing nearly a grand...:eek:

Nope, total price over 24 months inc deposit of €56 is €613 for lap top costing €529 online.
    €83 for the credit or €41.50 per year.
    €24 odd (cant remember exact figure now) per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Clauric wrote: »
    By law, under the Data Protection Acts, if you are applying for credit or a loan, the supplier of the facilities must give you a reason for not giving you the service. You are also entitled to have the decision as to the credit facilities done by a human, and not by a machine.

The data protection act is to ensure your information is kept private and not passed to third parties without your consent.

Any institution/business offering credit are not obliged to give a reason why they refuse a person credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

kbell wrote: »
    Yeah, think the cost of the credit over the 2 year period is only about 40/50 euro.

The Flexi rent thing is ridiculous tho, the €527 laptop on it, was costing €870 over 2 years, then you have to give them a final payment to own it outright, or return it in good condition and "upgrade" to another item.
    Think i'll just hit the Credit union for a loan at the weekend.

I Have to say i like Flexirent been using it for awhile now. It worked out very handy when the dog decided to use my laptop and chew toy and made complete S**t out out within in two days spanking new laptop and still on the same agreement.At the end of the day a laptop is something i change once a year and this way just seems to work out well standard warranty or extended warranty wont cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tadgh35

Went to HN today. Ask for the 24mnth credit for a tv. Put in all my details,great cred rating fit all the criteria.Got declined. Asked why. Sales man with big stupd look on hes face "I dont know" Ring the ICB I was told and he gave me a ref number for the ICB to quote when asking why I got refused.

So then I brought in my wife. Went through same procedure. Met all criteria. Then again Declined.She got a reference number for the ICB aswell.
    Do we all have to have big pensions like Bertie ahern to credit in this country.We stayed behind and listened to people that were being declined aswell.It was a joke.I love for eddie hobbs to go in there see what they to him them.He'd sort them out.
    So we have ordered our ICB report to see what the prob is.Anyway as for us well never spend a cent in there again and same for family and friends.
    Plenty off other shops out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I got refused credit in there. I also got refused a bill pay phone from o2 also !

Full time, I though my credit rating might have been bad for some reason.

Got my ICB report, and guess what ! A BLANK PAGE !! No bad credit rating?

Might be some sort of way to get people into the shop or something..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No bad credit rating?

Or none at all. No rating found is almost as bad as a bad credit rating, as they don't know what to make of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tadgh35

Got icb report back today and credit history is great,Just read last detail on it and said creation consumer finance/harvey nornams "A CREDIT BUREA SCORE IS CALCULATED ONLY IF THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION MAKING THE ENQUIRY REQUESTED IT.
    Now on my report there is no mention of harvey normans requesting a credit score.So i have a call put into the icb and am waiting their call to clarify why i was refused credit with a great credit history and also for the icb to inform me when harvey normans are taking people details why are they not asking the icb for a credit score.I think, as last people on boards said its just away to get people into the store.When I have everything in writting I will go back to the salesman in the store and say, well, heres all my documentation now can you explain why you didnt look for my credit score when applying for quick credit promotion you are offering your customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Or none at all. No rating found is almost as bad as a bad credit rating, as they don't know what to make of you.

Think it was no rating found . Didn't know that it's just as bad. What will I do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

tadgh35 wrote: »
    Got icb report back today and credit history is great,Just read last detail on it and said creation consumer finance/harvey nornams "A CREDIT BUREA SCORE IS CALCULATED ONLY IF THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION MAKING THE ENQUIRY REQUESTED IT.
    Now on my report there is no mention of harvey normans requesting a credit score.So i have a call put into the icb and am waiting their call to clarify why i was refused credit with a great credit history and also for the icb to inform me when harvey normans are taking people details why are they not asking the icb for a credit score.I think, as last people on boards said its just away to get people into the store.When I have everything in writting I will go back to the salesman in the store and say, well, heres all my documentation now can you explain why you didnt look for my credit score when applying for quick credit promotion you are offering your customers.

Because its not Harvey Normans who are requesting a credit score, its the finance company, Creation Consumer Finance. When you were declined you should have been given a print out page, titled " How we decide ". Its gives you information on how the credit scores are done, and gives a number for Creation, for you to ring if you would like any information on why you were declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

msg11 wrote: »
    Think it was no rating found . Didn't know that it's just as bad. What will I do ?

It is because they don't know what level of risk you are. Go and get a small loan over say, 12 months, and pay it back before the 12 months is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Will_H wrote: »
    It is because they don't know what level of risk you are. Go and get a small loan over say, 12 months, and pay it back before the 12 months is up.

I Have been living in Ireland almost three years, and also have blanck icb report.
    Contacted my bank, and they told me that they cant issue me a loan / cc, since i havent been their customer for three years, had Halifax as bank earlier, and changed to PTSB 9 months ago.

Its really hard to build a credit rating, when you cannot get credit card etc anywhere, and it seems that i have to wait over 2 yrs with my current bank now. Are all banks this hard?

ps. tried to apply for Argos credit also, got declined, propably the icb report was the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Only thing I can suggest finnteme is to make an appointment to go in to speak to your bank and see whether that gets you anywhere. Once there, maybe explain you are trying to build a credit rating....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JuanSeba

I was approved €4000 credit when i was buying a bed and a mattress, then when I went to buy a TV I was refused so I contacted Creation and the lady on the phone said the store was doing it wrong for the TV, they should have added to the original credit agreement rather than try create a new one.The lady from creation even rang my mobile to talk through how to do it with your man in the shop!Basically the staff in Harvey Norman are dummies!

Advertisement