Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats making ireland, uk,usa and asian winters much colder and snowier?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

i heard there are a few theories out there
    1)global warming-melting sea ice changes winds making uk colder sumthin like that
    2) a la nina was occuring nd the globe was cooling
    3) sunspots- sun is weakening nd jetstream changing bringing cold air to uk
    4) the gulf stream is weakening
    so which of these is it-or is it sumthin else :O
    and does this mean irelands winters are gettin colder nd we will have cold winters from now on seein as weve been gettin loads of snow last 3 winters especially this winter in dublin :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

All contributing. Plus we are generally entering a cold period so these effects, whilst slight, look like great changes.

Some argue that we are back to more normal weather here and it may last a while. We should have five or so more years of cold winters, keep in mind that we escaped all the major events this winter, indeed we escaped all major weather events in 2010, we won't be so lucky every year, summer or winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

gbee wrote: »
    All contributing. Plus we are generally entering a cold period so these effects, whilst slight, look like great changes.

Some argue that we are back to more normal weather here and it may last a while. We should have five or so more years of cold winters, keep in mind that we escaped all the major events this winter, indeed we escaped all major weather events in 2010, we won't be so lucky every year, summer or winter.

Is the sun spot activity not starting to get going again? Or is it still at a minimum?

*misses the "Potential return of Severe Cold from mid February" thread :(*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ye i was looking at the potential return of severe cold from mid february too...but it just depresses me :( maybe march- a snowy st.patricks day wud be nice :) maybe ...even if we dont well prob get lots more snow next yr maybe all winter long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Sunspot activity is certainly on the up, but it's the longer term (years and decades) low solar activity that apparently affects our weather.
    I think with the Arctic sea ice, the link there is that the low minimum extents result in heat being absorbed by more of the ocean, which is then radiated back out during Autumn and early winter, disrupting normal weather patterns and displacing the cold southward... or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Not all those places have been colder this year. Eastern Europe and western Russia have had relatively mild winters. Despite several big snowfalls North America on the whole has had an average to mild winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Please refrain from using txt spk on the forum. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

gbee wrote: »

Well the weather of winter 09/10 and nov/dec 2010 were far from normal. In ireland, mild winters are ''normal''. Cold ones are exceptional. Any winter from 1990-2008 was far closer to normal than last winter or earlier this one.

I think the fact that people view cold as normalis down to the overwhelming rose-tinted-glasses effect. I dont know how many times this December that i heard ''we had worse than this every winter before 1985'' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Lirange wrote: »
    Despite several big snowfalls North America on the whole has had an average to mild winter.

Where are you getting that info from ? Would'nt mind a look at the temp figures for N. America.

Duiske wrote: »
    Where are you getting that info from ? Would'nt mind a look at the temp figures for N. America.

Winter so far...
    NAWint.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Well the weather of winter 09/10 and nov/dec 2010 were far from normal. In ireland, mild winters are ''normal''. Cold ones are exceptional. Any winter from 1990-2008 was far closer to normal than last winter or earlier this one.

I think the fact that people view cold as normalis down to the overwhelming rose-tinted-glasses effect. I dont know how many times this December that i heard ''we had worse than this every winter before 1985'' :rolleyes:

Yeah, there was a lot of nostalgia, someone would post about their 10 inchs in the garden at the moment, and the next post would be about how there was 10 foot on their road from september til may in 1982 or something, with drift covering lugnaquilla from base to peak . . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Winter so far...
    NAWint.gif

~14 degrees warmer than usual around Greenland? Sounds like a disaster.

not really
    warmth up at greenland means high pressure up there.

not really
    warmth up at greenland means high pressure up there.

I think it's more to do with the high pressure being centered more so along Eastern Greenland, sending south westerlies up into the Baffin sea and easten Canada. This then prevented the sea ice from spreading as far south as usual which had a big affect on the temperature anomalies.

N_bm_extent.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so does anyone think next year in ireland will be as cold as last yr and this yr?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so does anyone think next year in ireland will be as cold as last yr and this yr?:D

hopefully...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Winter so far...
    NAWint.gif
    There's about a foot and a half of snow in Minnesota atm.

Here's the winter temperature so far for the Northern Hemisphere. The main stand out area being from Greenland to Hudson bay and up to the Arctic Ocean.

NHWintersoFar.gif

Advertisement