Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy lawn... Advice needed.

Options
  • 21-02-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a fairly small back garden. Some of the lawn is patchy and was wondering whats the best approach on fixing this, it's only about 10% of the overall lawn.

When is the right time to start putting out some grass seed?

Any tips much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

try to rake off the dead grass from these patches, then dig the soil with garden fork ( about 10cm deep), spread on the top some compost mixed with fertilazer, make a level and then spread grass seeds and rake it lightly. ( or if you dont have so many patches you can buy in homebase bag of grass seeds already mixed with soil and fertilazer and spread this on before prepared ground). you can do this in next week, after that you shouldnt be walkin on them places where you put grass seeds. make sure you keep them places watering, after 2 - 3 weeks u should see effects. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

try to rake off the dead grass from these patches, then dig the soil with garden fork ( about 10cm deep), spread on the top some compost mixed with fertilazer, make a level and then spread grass seeds and rake it lightly. ( or if you dont have so many patches you can buy in homebase bag of grass seeds already mixed with soil and fertilazer and spread this on before prepared ground). you can do this in next week, after that you shouldnt be walkin on them places where you put grass seeds. make sure you keep them places watering, after 2 - 3 weeks u should see effects. good luck

Would you cut the grass before you do this or what would you recommend?

Also when should I start planting flowers for summer bloom? Potted plants......windy back garden.(up high)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Thanks for that, will give it a lash next week so.. I was told its a bad Idea to cut your grass at the moment, is this true??

ssbob wrote: »
    Would you cut the grass before you do this or what would you recommend?

Also when should I start planting flowers for summer bloom? Potted plants......windy back garden.(up high)

if is not to wet you can cut grass now, if is to wet your lawnmower will make lines and can destroy lawn, it could be good idea to cut lawn before seeding new grass.

i would recomend to wait another week or two before you plant flowers, as the temperature is going low during night

theshamu wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will give it a lash next week so.. I was told its a bad Idea to cut your grass at the moment, is this true??

if grass is short you can live it for another few weeks, but if is long you better cut before you put grass seeds, because later will be hard to cut grass around them patches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭manna452121

Is there a better grass seed that is dog friendly.My dog has done alot of damage this winter so I need something strong and long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Is there a better grass seed that is dog friendly.My dog has done alot of damage this winter so I need something strong and long lasting.

Yes synthetic grass is an ideal longlasting solution but not available as seed.

Damp lawns will always suffer (track marks) damage caused by dogs over winter months. in most cases the area will recover itself but some remedial work may be necessary.

Grade 3 is usual choice for family lawns ( a good mix of various hardwearing and reasonably attractive grasses).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Also, use an autumn feed in October and the roots will grow strong and healthy during winter. It will help the grass recover much easier in Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Its OK to put down grass seed now? I have a couple patches to cover too

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    Its OK to put down grass seed now? I have a couple patches to cover too

you could do this now, but better wait one week

• Advertisement
Advertisement