Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly Tiltles

Options
  • 21-02-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I think the title says it all in your opinion what is the ugliest title in the history of professional wrestling, covering all promotions but excluding the hardcore title because its look represented it division. I remember when I was a kid watching wrestling and Intercontinental title was at one point blue, yellow, and white and I really wanted one. Now in contrast to the new tag team titles every time I look at them they just look ridiculous in my opinion they are the worse titles in the history of professional wrestling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tna-immortal-championship-title.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought the title said "Ugly Titties"

Thought i'd wandered into the wrong forum:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I thought the coloured IC titles looked horrible, the black leather IC title is the classic title. Should never have been scrapped. Ever since they crapped the classic winged eagle WWF title belt in 1998, the titles have gone downhill.

Compare:

cena_spinner.jpg

winged_eagle_belt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

tna-immortal-championship-title.jpg

Isn't Hardy's belt basically the Divas belt.Its so cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Has anyone ever seen the WWE title upclose?
    Its fcuking awesome in the ... flesh.

kotag.jpg
    Do. Not. Want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

I thought the coloured IC titles looked horrible, the black leather IC title is the classic title. Should never have been scrapped. Ever since they crapped the classic winged eagle WWF title belt in 1998, the titles have gone downhill.

Compare:

cena_spinner.jpg

winged_eagle_belt.jpg

Didn't mind the white leather, but the blue and yellow ones were really bad... so agreed on part of that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably going to be an unpopular decision, but....

world_heavyweight_v2.jpg

I like the shape of it, and it's not the worst looking title ever, but there is almost no design to it. From a distance, it just looks like a big plate of lumpy gold with a nameplate on it.

Barrington wrote: »
    Probably going to be an unpopular decision, but...

[image]http://myfinecollectibles.com/Belts/world_heavyweight_v2.jpg[/image]

I like the shape of it, and it's not the worst looking title ever, but there is almost no design to it. From a distance, it just looks like a big plate of lumpy gold with a nameplate on it.

Exactly why its called "The big gold belt"

CMpunked wrote: »
    Exactly why its called "The big gold belt"

But which came first?

"Let's make a big gold belt!"

Or

"This just looks like a big gold belt"

Probably going to be an unpopular decision, but....

world_heavyweight_v2.jpg

That has an old time charm to it. It "looks" like a world tite. Plus it has WCW memories attached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Noob question: how do the scriptwriters determine who 'wins' these titles? Is it purely based on who they think is becoming popular/unpopular, and who has potential to do so?

E.g. I'd imagine you'd need someone who is both a good athlete and a good actor.

Well its design goes back to 1986 when belts were fairly straight forward in design, similar but different to boxing belts.
    Big gold wiki

Like when you consider it was used to replace:
    NWAWorld.JPG

It looks so much better. And was a breakthrough of sorts. Unfortunately over time and as other more flashy (and spinny) belts have emerged they have caused this one too look not as impressive as it once was.

If Vince posted on boards he'd say we should call them Championships not Belts or Titles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For me it's these:
    wwe-2010-tag-team-replica-belt-01.gif

I hate the way they look, give me the original Raw tag belts any day.

That has an old time charm to it. It "looks" like a world tite. Plus it has WCW memories attached.

Yeah but, every belt has memories attached. It's 2011. WCW has been gone for 10 years. I'd have no objection to them making a new belt so long as it wasn't a flashy one like the WWE belt. I just think at this point, the big gold belt looks far too outdated. And as for the WCW memories, Ziggler is after having that belt for one match. I think the WCW memory stage is over.

Cena's spinner belt said so much about him.What do people think of the Ufc aproach where every belt looks the same. Very strange.

Yeah but, every belt has memories attached. It's 2011. WCW has been gone for 10 years. I'd have no objection to them making a new belt so long as it wasn't a flashy one like the WWE belt. I just think at this point, the big gold belt looks far too outdated. And as for the WCW memories, Ziggler is after having that belt for one match. I think the WCW memory stage is over.

I had two points though, one is that it looks like a proper world title. That is what matters most in my view. The WCW aside is that it helps that we associate that belt with some legendary moments in wrestling history. Of course it is not the main point, but it is a nice bonus.

I agree that it looks like a world title. Out of the three world titles (two in WWE and the TNA one), it's the only one that does. I'm just saying, it has been around for so long now, that it looks outdated. And I'd prefer for it to be retired and a new belt brought in, instead of things like Ziggler having the title for one match, which surely cheapens it.

I'd prefer a midway point between the big gold belt and the current WWE title (one which would still look good on someone like Taker). Each of the current belts, and the previous WWE belts (Winged Eagle, Undisputed) looked fantastic. Well designed, distinctive patterns and shapes.

The big gold belt, as I said, just looks like a lumpy gold plate. Regardless of it's history, I think it looks old and out of place as an actual belt design for the modern era. Again, don't want Spinner V2.0, but something akin to the winged eagle one of 2000-2002 (the big round one, my favourite belt design) or even the Undisputed one, which was a great belt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This is my favourite belt:
    800px-WWF_Championship_1998_-_2002.jpg

I really like the (WCW) World Title Belt too, the old school feel to it adds a sense of history that is lacking in todays WWE. It also looked so cool with "nwo" spray-painted on the front of it back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

WWE_Divas_Championship.jpg

It's just so meh and teenage girl-esque.

Also this belt was disgusting....

edgebeltmid.jpg

And I always felt that the ROH was really naff on this belt

ROHBELT2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ROHBELT2.jpg

The big dirty red lettering on the original ROH belt was horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jesus Christ Fireball Pitcher, thats a bit scary. Same picture and all.:eek::eek::eek:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Fireball Pitcher, thats a bit scary. Same picture and all.:eek::eek::eek:

Great minds flahavaj..... great minds..... ;)

It's the gawdy lettering that makes that belt so ugly to look at.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ECWchampbelt.jpg

I never liked the original ECW titles. I get that they're 'hardcore' with the slices and the menacing font but I think they're disgusting. Looks like a cat used it as a scratching post before someone with a broken nose sneezed on it

jaykhunter wrote: »
    ECW Belt

I never liked the original ECW titles. I get that they're 'hardcore' with the slices and the menacing font but I think they're disgusting. Looks like a cat used it as a scratching post before someone with a broken nose sneezed on it

Oh my lord..... That is brutal.

Ill speak up for said belt, i think your points are in essence, what makes them so appealing.
    The look counter-glamour. They are gold but they are also ruthless and stand out with the distinctive shape.

My 2c anyway.

Ill speak up for said belt, i think your points are in essence, what makes them so appealing.
    The look counter-glamour. They are gold but they are also ruthless and stand out with the distinctive shape.

My 2c anyway.

I agree, it is instantly recognisable as being an ECW title. Compare it to the WWECW monstrosity.

42934.gif

It is so bland and horrible.

I agree, it is instantly recognisable as being an ECW title. Compare it to the WWECW monstrosity.

I'll have you know that championship is sitting atop my DVD bookcase right now :p between Bee Mario and Sonic.

I'll have you know that championship is sitting atop my DVD bookcase right now :p between Bee Mario and Sonic.

A replica model or toy or what?

• Advertisement

A replica model or toy or what?

It's called the "ECW Commemorative Belt" for $99 (72 euro). It's adult-sized and the same belt material; only difference is that the plates are plastic, not metal (so it's very light). I have no nostalgia for the old ECW and thought this belt was pretty pretty and wouldn't last long, so I snagged it when I was on holiday in NY :)

dsc01259smaller.jpg

Advertisement