Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish science: and endangered species.

Options
  • 21-02-2011 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

I went to Pubmed and searched for "ireland [pl] 2010" and a few previous years.

2005: 19561
    2006: 45385
    2007: 28767
    2008: 26168
    2009: 28248
    2010: 18949

That's a drop in publications of 33% in 1 year, and I expect things to be at least as bad in 2011.
    Time to admit that the "knowledge economy" is no more than a tired soundbite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

What happened 2005-2006-2007?

There was a huge change over these times.

How do our numbers compare with other countries? As in is the trend generally rising or have other experienced a drop off as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I went to Pubmed and searched for "ireland [pl] 2010" and a few previous years.

2007: 28767
    2008: 26168
    2009: 28248
    2010: 18949

That's a drop in publications of 33% in 1 year, and I expect things to be at least as bad in 2011.
    Time to admit that the "knowledge economy" is no more than a tired soundbite.

PubMed is not the be all and end all of scientific publishing. I would hazard a guess (and a good one at that, I reckon) that not every paper published by an Irish post-graduate/post-doctoral student/researcher makes it onto the list immediately. Also, I can't imagine every journal in the entire world is covered by PubMed either.

Since you're focusing on just two years from the list provided then allow me to do the same:

A 56.9% increase, and who's to say it won't happen again. There could be any number of reasons for the drop, such as not having strong-enough results to publish or the Journal themselves rejecting papers on ridiculous grounds such as "too field specific" (JACS are notorious for that) and hence delaying publication.

You want accurate figures? Then go to each of the journals websites, individually (e.g. JACS, Angewandte Chemie, etc.), and take the numbers from there then tot them up yourself.

Otherwise, stop f*cking whinging over nothing and let us get back to work.

EDIT: You also misspelled your thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

cianl1 wrote: »
    PubMed is not the be all and end all of scientific publishing. I would hazard a guess (and a good one at that, I reckon) that not every paper published by an Irish post-graduate/post-doctoral student/researcher makes it onto the list immediately. Also, I can't imagine every journal in the entire world is covered by PubMed either
    That's a lot of guesses you're hazarding there buddy. Why don't you do some pre-spout research? Whether *all* science publications are there it is quite easily large enough to be representative.
    Oh, and it isn't worth publishing in science or medical journals if they're not in Pubmed. Simple fact.
    Since you're focusing on just two years from the list provided then allow me to do the same:

A 56.9% increase, and who's to say it won't happen again. There could be any number of reasons for the drop, such as not having strong-enough results to publish or the Journal themselves rejecting papers on ridiculous grounds such as "too field specific" (JACS are notorious for that) and hence delaying publication.
    You're obviously new to science, so I trust I'll only have to say this once so you don't embarrass yourself *every* time you fail to make a useful post to a science forum: anecdotes and examples are not evidence.
    The sample size here is fairly large you might have noticed, probably enough to iron out a flock of sheep being eaten by a stray hyena half way through a study you'd imagine.
    You want accurate figures? Then go to each of the journals websites, individually (e.g. JACS, Angewandte Chemie, etc.), and take the numbers from there then tot them up yourself.
    Er, no. It's pretty obvious you don't even know what Pubmed is. Learn and return.
    Otherwise, stop f*cking whinging over nothing and let us get back to work.
    You're posting uninformed tripe on the web. Unless that's your day job, then I'm not really keeping you, am I?
    EDIT: You also misspelled your thread title.
    Wow, somebody hasn't been on the internet before and thinks spelling corrections don't make them look an utter d1ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Unfortunately - or perhaps happily - the figures quoted aren't correct, for two reasons.

1:
    PubMed wrote:
    Place of Publication [PL]

This field indicates the cited journal's country of publication. (link)

Many scientists here publish in non-Irish journals too, and these papers aren't included in a search for 'Ireland[PL]'.

2: To get papers published in a particular year, you need to use the [DP] (date of publication) tag. The searches in the opening post didn't use this, and in fact each return numbers of papers from across many years.

Searching for papers in Irish and French journals from 2005-2010 gives:
    [B]Year  France  Ireland[/B]
    2005  12470   10911  
    2006  12946   11580  
    2007  12597   10827  
    2008  13826   11237  
    2009  13610   11604  
    2010  12197   10549

The drop in both countries for 2010 may well reflect a delay in indexing - some papers don't seem to get listed correctly for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

darjeeling wrote: »
    The drop in both countries for 2010 may well reflect a delay in indexing - some papers don't seem to get listed correctly for a while.
    Let's hope so!
    This of course could just mean a drop in the number of Irish journals being published. Maybe Irish scientists are publishing just as prolifically as ever in other journals... We can check in a few months and see if tardy indexing makes up the shortfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Because?

Advertisement