Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE Asia for Parents

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    Ive done SEA twice before and really enjoyed it,although i did it as a guy that was not afraid to try anything and did all the mad stuff involved with such a great experience.
    This is hard to explain but here it goes.Currently living in Perth Australia at the moment and myself and the girlfriend are meeting up with my parents in SEA probably starting in around BKK so i have few rough ideas on where to bring them.They are both in their early 50s and we are in our mid 20s they are both up for new experiences and are well used to travel although they do like to stay in the nicer end of accommodation when its possible,were as myself and the girlfriend are well used to the lower end of the scale.

Heres a little plan as we only decided to do this last night.

Bangkok (2 Days for them to absorb the culture shock alittle)
    Samui (4 days)
    Koh Panghan (Maybe) probably not around the full moon abviously (3 days)
    Kho Tao Diving (4 days)
    Phi Phi similar 4 days to relax
    Chiang Mai for 1 week in around Songkram to meet friend from Thailand.
    Possibly Laos for a few days (Dad is a major history man would like to see the hope center and history from Vietnam war)
    Maybe head to Cambodia for a week or so see Angor Wat and Killing Fields etc.
    Then Vietnam for 2 weeks or so to see all war stuff with my dad i.e Chu Chi min tunnels etc.

As ive said ive seen all of this before so i would be trying to squeeze it all in for them.I think they are aiming for around a month trip if they can.

So basically i want to know other peoples highlights of such a trip espically from older ppl than myself

Thanks a mill
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Maracas,
    this sounds like a nice long break.

you have committed 24 days to Thailand which sounds quite long to me & lot of Thailand can feel very same same after a while.

Would you consider taking 7 days off the Thailand leg & spending it in western Australia with your folks, too much of Asia can be a bit daunting - Australia or maybe a few days in Singapore might be a welcome respite.

I've done some travelling in the region with my folks & while there is a certain novelty, there is also a lot to be said for knowing that you will not be stuck into it for a month at a time.

I'm sure you'll all have a ball but maybe slot in a few days of comfort somewhere in your month long schedule, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

Gonzales wrote: »
    Maracas,
    this sounds like a nice long break.

you have committed 24 days to Thailand which sounds quite long to me & lot of Thailand can feel very same same after a while.

Would you consider taking 7 days off the Thailand leg & spending it in western Australia with your folks, too much of Asia can be a bit daunting - Australia or maybe a few days in Singapore might be a welcome respite.

I've done some travelling in the region with my folks & while there is a certain novelty, there is also a lot to be said for knowing that you will not be stuck into it for a month at a time.

I'm sure you'll all have a ball but maybe slot in a few days of comfort somewhere in your month long schedule, best of luck.

Wow its mad just added it up there your totally right 24 days it seems so easy to say a few days here and few days there ha lost the run of myself.
    Well the problem is that we dont have that much money at the moment and it will go alot further in asia than in WA as its quiet expensive compared to Asia.But i definately hear you when you say it becomes same same,I suppose we could knock out Koh Phangnan as its not a must must see for them.

I would defo have to shorten each lplace a day or so too.
    Its definately a great trip for them it was a present from myself and my brother and sister so we really want to make it special and they are relying on me to bring them to the best places but without the mad buses that im used to etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

As a matter of interest as I am looking to do a similar four week loop how are you getting from one destination to the other. Mainly buses ? Is it easy to take a bus form one stage to the next over there ? or are you throwing in the odd flight here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

bifl wrote: »
    As a matter of interest as I am looking to do a similar four week loop how are you getting from one destination to the other. Mainly buses ? Is it easy to take a bus form one stage to the next over there ? or are you throwing in the odd flight here and there

I usually get buses,trains and boats around they are great way to see the country and i find them great experience.They are extremely cheap aswell comparing to flying although the buses can be extremely long.I wouldnt book any flights if i was you just take each part as it comes.
    However i will be with my parents this time so we will try fly all the long distance journeys to save time and comfort for them.If i was on my own i would go the bus route etc

Advertisement