Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofs for the farm

Options
  • 21-02-2011 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks,

Under a bit of pressure to get certain stuff done before lambs start appearing so I spent the rainy part of the day chainsawing. Good and well except the result was a JG who resembled a drowned rat - with sawdust stuck all over :pac:

I'll do that type of work and other stuff in the rain no bother, I don't mind. What I did mind was the only part of me left dry were below the ankles :D If I stopped I'd get cold so I had to keep plugging away.

So I was wondering what waterproof gear (and not just for nipping from the jeep to the shed) ye all use for our lovely climate, or are we over quota with fair weather farmers on here :p Hooded jackets and trouser suggestions :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I use drytex they are a ripoff at €70 just for the jacket but they keep water out:) but after a certain amount of usage they will leave water in:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I use drytex overalls with a hood for about 70 euro from the co-op. Waterproof and wind proof and you dont sweat too much when working. The inside leg wears quickly and lets in water where both legs rub off each other but still best value imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I buy the cheap light ones the co-op have.

If the sheep have a few briars on them, which one or two always have tends to make nice work of the water proofs. Just at knee height, which leaves a nice tear / hole for the water to get in.... :D

But the more money you spend on them, the quicker you seem to tear them smile.gif

Maybe the answer is to have two pairs, one for using with the sheep, and another for general tasks - but I know myself that I would grab the first pair I found, and just make ****e of em, and then go looking for the second pair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I buy the cheap light ones the co-op have.

If the sheep have a few briars on them, which one or two always have tends to make nice work of the water proofs. Just at knee height, which leaves a nice tear / hole for the water to get in.... :D

But the more money you spend on them, the quicker you seem to tear them smile.gif

Maybe the answer is to have two pairs, one for using with the sheep, and another for general tasks - but I know myself that I would grab the first pair I found, and just make ****e of em, and then go looking for the second pair...

They always tear within a week of buying them. If you happen to get a good qulity version and pay top dollar, they most likely tear in the first hour you wear them. You either catch them in wire, or briars, or the friggen sharp edge on the sheeting you put on some gate, they you have been meaning to fix for the past five years:eek:
    So I have given up on them. If I wear what I have I get drowned with rain coming in the torn bits, PLUS, I sweat like a pig, and get wet from the inside out.:confused:
    So I dont bother with them anymore. I just take the rain like a man:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I recently invested in a bit of workgear. Bought a good heavy type waterproof jacket for €40 (I think it's regatta, must check label this evening).

Also a pair of 'chaps'. Never used them before, but seen a few lads at the mart with them. Now I know they don't cover everything and they're not a full WP trouser, but I wear them over a lighter pair of pull ups to keep the main dirt off and keep em outside the welly. Used all the gear one very wet evening and thought they worked well.

But ya wearing waterproofs are a pain for the reasons mentioned(tearing /sweating). AND I've noticed cow sh*t can still soak through some an stain the 'good' jeans underneath!:mad:

Prefer a good work pants and a pair of boots any day. On the work pants front, I bought a pair of armidillo(I think thery're called?) 2 years ago. Gave nearly €70 for them. They were supposed to repel water, which they did until they got a few washes!:o Thought I'd never have to wear 'oilskins' again, but seems they are a necessary evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

These are the job.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_155285_langId_-1_categoryId_228879

Have a pair for years now, they get all sorts of abuse and survive, I never cease to be amazed by them.

of course knowing halfords they've changed their supplier three times since and they're now crap.

worth a look though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Really ancient Barbour jacket from the days when they were waterproof and I swear by the Aldi cycling waterproof trousers, about €12 a pair. I work in them, ride in them and they've never leaked on me yet... designed to be worn alone or over leggings so go up a size to wear over jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Ski pants are a great job, both waterproof and breathable;) Can be got handy enough in tk maxx now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

snowman707 wrote: »
    They look pretty good. Can they be got here I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Got one of those Yellow safety jackets there recently in the Dairygold Coop store, €20 in the sale. Great job, light, warm and they are waterproof. Get ones with the sleeve hanging down, rather than elastic cuffed. Water runs off better.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I use the ski pants from TK Maxx as well, they are very good waterproof, great and warm in the cold weather but can be a bit hot otherwise as they are built for cold. Buy them in spring or coming into summer when they are selling them off cheap, got mine for €10 2 years back. Coat wise I prefer something light weight like the cheap ones in the co-op or some times a regatta outdoors jacket as I find the heavy ones too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

kay 9 wrote: »
    Ski pants are a great job, both waterproof and breathable;) Can be got handy enough in tk maxx now too.

+1 Aldi €17.99 but you have to watch for them to come in!! I leave them on the wellies and slide in and out of them in a second they not completely waterproof though but Portwest waterproof ones are like a sauna in them not breathable.. only use them to feed if its completely lashing it down

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I get mine in the post from http://www.greggcare.ie good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

yep they are readily available, Arrabawn co-op branches, and Centerinary Co-op Store in Roscrea are the ones I know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Farmrite will send them to your door. I get stuff off them every year, must do my list this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

funny man wrote: »

Brillant, thanks for that. I'll now be able to get red bands when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

+1
    missus bought me one with the removable fleece in side the xmas before last.
    comes into its own this time of year.
    had some of their leggings till i lost them (some one knicked them) last year
    would happily wear them the whole day through .
    id be a bit of a short arse, so i would cut the end 2 inches of the trousers when they get frayed and they still would nt split.

been using their teat dip for the last 3 years now, find it very good.
    very happy with their products and service.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Brillant, thanks for that. I'll now be able to get red bands when I get home!

Tried every other brand but they weren't a patch on these, Reinforced Knee are brilliant and are very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

johngalway wrote: »
    Farmrite will send them to your door. I get stuff off them every year, must do my list this week.

Do you buy pour-ons or anything like that from them?!

If so are they any cheaper than here when ya take in delivery etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

royaler83 wrote: »
    Do you buy pour-ons or anything like that from them?!

If so are they any cheaper than here when ya take in delivery etc

I haven't, to be honest delivery is dead cheap and very fast. I've bought this kind of stuff below:

Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Red)
    Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Blue)
    Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Green)
    Lamb Castration Rings (500)
    Net-tex Colos Feeder Syringe & Latex Tube
    Battles Twin Lamb Remedy - 500ml
    Powdered Glucose - 1kg
    Agrihealth Lamb Bottle with Teat 500ml
    Col-Late Lamb Kick Start (25 Lamb Size) - 100ml
    Battles Ovaloids (100)
    Hovet Orf-M - 200ml

Those and other general purpose stuff, mostly for lambing time.

I don't believe they'll send medicines, haven't checked the pour ons yet, but a pour on is on my list this year.

johngalway wrote: »
    I haven't, to be honest delivery is dead cheap and very fast. I've bought this kind of stuff below:

Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Red)
    Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Blue)
    Agrihealth Sheep Marker (Green)
    Lamb Castration Rings (500)
    Net-tex Colos Feeder Syringe & Latex Tube
    Battles Twin Lamb Remedy - 500ml
    Powdered Glucose - 1kg
    Agrihealth Lamb Bottle with Teat 500ml
    Col-Late Lamb Kick Start (25 Lamb Size) - 100ml
    Battles Ovaloids (100)
    Hovet Orf-M - 200ml

Those and other general purpose stuff, mostly for lambing time.

I don't believe they'll send medicines, haven't checked the pour ons yet, but a pour on is on my list this year.

I used to collect stuff off them in Portadown as they wouldn't ship animal medicines south. So used bestpet.co.uk and chemist direct.co.uk but Farmrite will now ship animal medicines to the South (its on their homepage only recently though) Bestpet.co.uk beats them hands down on price though for products i use anyway

Bodacious wrote: »
    I used to collect stuff off them in Portadown as they wouldn't ship animal medicines south. So used bestpet.co.uk and chemist direct.co.uk but Farmrite will now ship animal medicines to the South (its on their homepage only recently though) Bestpet.co.uk beats them hands down on price though for products i use anyway

Had a look at them prices, not cheap by any manner of means especially on the cattle side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

hard to beat guy cotton when its really pissing if its good enough for fishermen they are good enough for me.buy the overalls and not the pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

keep going wrote: »
    hard to beat guy cotton when its really pissing if its good enough for fishermen they are good enough for me.buy the overalls and not the pants

often wondered what sort of gear fishermen used

Had a look at them prices, not cheap by any manner of means especially on the cattle side of things.

Oh yeah the VAT throws them way off John

E.g Ivomec Super 200ml Farmrite £97.50 inc VAT

Bestpet £77.42 inc VAT

Bodacious wrote: »
    Oh yeah the VAT throws them way off John

E.g Ivomec Super 200ml Farmrite £97.50 inc VAT

Bestpet £77.42 inc VAT

Ivomec super 200ml local vet €90

Group deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have an old but very good set of waterproofs made by Wenaas of wexford. The coat has a removable inner fleece, great in the winter, and cool when removed otherwise.

I have a new set that I dont wear that often,(still wear the old ones), made by Azzurri weathergear. A very good set too.

I'v occasionally had to spend hours in the wet and both sets are fully waterproof.

Ivomec super 200ml local vet €90

Group deal!

Hi Funny man,

That is a good deal, ye big boys have it all wrapped up!! Considering Ireland's other home delivery website Magenta DIrect is €176.... some mark up!!

Similar to yourself though with Bestpet.co.uk £77 = €91 and I get enough for couple of the neighbours and it more than covers the £12 delivery:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I know its a bit late now but lidl do a pair of termal winter work overalls around october every year and they are very strong warm and waterproof you could go out in the rain and roll around in the sh**e and when you take them off you would still be clean and dry.
    They are a god send in the cold weather but are hung up for the year come march as they are just too warm to work in when temps pick up.
    They are around 25 euro I did a search on net but crazy money for anything like them
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jobman-Workwear-Quilted-Visibility-Overall/dp/B0042SLQG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1298455205&sr=8-3

Advertisement