Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook keybord gone3 mad?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭

Any6one3 se3e3n t5hi8s pr4o9ble3m o9n a mac?

t5he3 ke3y6bo9ar4d i8s go9ti8n nu7t5s, ve3r4y6 har4d t5o9 sy6pe3.

T5HI8S I8S NO9T5 A W2I8ND U7P, I8T5'S R4E3ALLY6 HAPPE3NI8NG?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

So9rr4y6 i8f i8t5's har4d t5o9 r4e3ad,

Any where to get it fixed in dublin under warranty? Behaves and then goes mad, words dissapear, cursor could end up anywhere, sorry if the first section didn't make sense but it was the only way I could type then.

if I y and type it realy for e, ahh feck :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Funny how it's okay in your other posts. Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No it's my lady's macbook, I was using it this evening she told me something was gone funny. I thought it was just a setting but something is seriously wrong. I had to stop using it gone back to my own now hence I can type normally.

When your typing the cursor can jump anywhere, it deletes words, numbers appear when writing. It's now unusable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds pretty messed up alright.

It's within warranty, yeah? The following are Authorised Service Providers in Dublin:
    EVAD IT SOLUTIONS LIMITED
    UNIT H & I, USHERS ISLAND
    DUBLIN 8
    Tel. +353 16336791
    Apple Authorised Service Providers

COMPU B
    111 GRAFTON STREET,
    D.2. - DUBLIN
    Tel. 00353 1 5079103
    Apple Premium Reseller

TYPETEC LTD
    UNIT G6 CALMOUNT BUSINESS PARK
    12 - DUBLIN
    Tel. 353 1 5009000
    Apple Solution Experts - Education

MACTIVATE LTD.
    NORTHWEST BUSINESS PARK
    UNIT 13, NORTHWEST CENTRE
    15 - BLANCHARDSTOWN, DUBLIN
    Tel. 353 1 8224488

COMPU B
    MALAHIDE ROAD
    PAVILION SHOPPING CENTRE
    SWORDS
    Tel. 01 5250631
    Apple Premium Reseller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Assuming good faith and it not being a windup, I'd say there's some problem with the row/column addressing scheme used to identify keypresses inside the keyboard. Each number corresponds with the key down and to the right of it, which is the same index on the board (i.e. "t" = 6th key on 3rd row, "5" = 6th key on the 2nd row).

I'd say the wires for rows 2 & 3 (as counted from the screen towards the trackpad - no idea how they're wired internally) are somehow connected together - possibly as a result of a liquid spill, but I wouldn't know.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

It's a not a wind up:p

They wires your talking about are they part of the keyboard?, do you think replacing the keyboard would fix the problem, I wouldn't like to drop it in for warranty work and they come back and say it's liquid damage, it might be just as handy to replace the keyboard myself and save the warranty.

There's a very tiny plastic trim that runs around the 2 front corners of the macbook, that's cracked off on both sides, would that also void the warranty? There's no other marks, the plastic fell off due to bad design rather than abuse.

• Advertisement

I've not taken apart the keyboard, but depending on where the keyboard controller is (probably on the keyboard PCB) we're probably talking circuit board tracks rather than wires, but the idea's the same.

If you've got the same white Macbook I do, you may find that the cracking edges you describe will be changed by Apple even outside of warranty as a known fault in the design. The potential good news for you is that the so-called "top case" (the bit of plastic that makes up the top of the bottom half of the Macbook) that's cracking includes the keyboard and the trackpad - it's a single unit.

What this may mean is that you can get the top case replaced for free, and with it get a free keyboard replacement, which could fix your problem. I've had this replacement done on my Macbook once before.

(Disclaimer: I don't know if Apple are still doing this out-of-warranty repair. But they certainly were in the past)

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Some great information there inspector thanks.

@the professor, do you think any of the stores would do that work or would it be better to let it off to apple directly.

Some great information there inspector thanks.

@the professor, do you think any of the stores would do that work or would it be better to let it off to apple directly.
    The work will get done either way. If they are listed as ASPs then they should be able to do the work themselves. I'm not sure if they ship things off to Apple in some instances. I suppose just choose whichever is more convenient.

While I don't enjoy doing it, I've had the top case off this machine at least once - it's reasonably straightforward. Guitar picks (plectra) are handy for this :)

If the repair place can't open the damned computer, they shouldn't be in the business of repairs ;) Beyond that, it's just one plug, IIRC? Maybe two, can't remember.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Have you replaced your keyboard at any stage with a Bebo branded one?

:p

• Advertisement

Took it to Evad/dMac on ushers island, great service got it back today, complete keyboard was replaced and screen casing all under warranty.

Thanks for the help!!

Advertisement