Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperation Anxiety

Options
  • 20-02-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi -we have a sheep dog/collie type fella, nice lad, very lively. He's 14 months and since we got him at 6 weeks, bar a few accidents he's been fine regarding toilet. But lately he's started urinating during the night where he sleeps in the hall off the kitchen. Also when we have visitors he barks and cries at the door if he is not included. He's also combined these on occasion, urinating while we had visitors after barking and crying.

Do u think it could be seperation anxiety? What steps could I take to prevent this behaviour.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

One other thing that might be relevant is sometimes he gets agressive qhen we try to leave the room. It's a kind of playfullness from him more than agressiveness - he's not angry or dangerous, if u get me.

Thanks

Hi folks- has anyone an idea on this? Since the weekend the wettings are nightly. He is usually in a coma by 9 in the evening but these nights he is still up and won't really settle.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

How much exercise is he getting op? Both are very high energy dogs and they are the most intelligent as well and if they don’t get enough exercise and mental stimulation they can get behaviour problems. Don’t forget these guys are usually in a field all day working.

he gets walked in morning and evening - prob 30 mins a time weather permitting - i have a decent sized run built for him for during the day when we are at work as the garden is not yet secure to keep him from escaping - i have a garage too that i will be replacing doors and windows on shortly, up to this is wasnt really habitable for him or i would have put him in there at night from the start - but will be this when this work is done - at 14 months and a year of sleeping in the house, do u think its possible/best to move him out at this stage or is it too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly i would rule out a medical reason why its happening. He could have a kidney infection possibly?

Secondly, was he house trained properly as a pup?

Thirdly, an hour exercise a day is not enough for a collie im afraid. They are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise and it needs to be more than a half hour twice a day.
    I would try cycling, running, swimming etc to tire him out but certainly his exercise needs to be increased to a lot more than what it is now.

I would look into crate training too possibly to help the situation.

• Advertisement

thanks - yes he has been fine since we got him at about 7 weeks old, a few accidents to start with and he has been fine since. Mon to Fri he gets the two half hour walks - on the morning walk i can let him off in the park to run as its usually early enough no one is about - weekends i bring him on the bike if i can - i have had him running for two hours at times when i go mountainbiking and cant get the end of him:-) - i understand he is high energy and he needs his exercise (which i am hoping he is getting based on what i have outlined above) but i am trying to understand what may have prompted a change in the last week or two to trigger this sudden change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thats why i suggested you should rule out a medical reason first before anything so maybe a trip to the vet is needed.
    Has there been any changes in routine, food, surroundings, people etc? Some dogs are very prone to anxiety for even the slightest change in their lifestyle.

yes would not hurt - nothing obvious that i can think of has changed - things are fairly routine with him, snoozes in the kitchen after his walk in the evening on a chair, put him in his bed about 9:30 where he sleeps away, bring him out for final toilet maybe 10:30 - sleeps thru the night, up next morning up on his chair, i bring him off for a walk after breakfast, into his run for the day. lately (fri/sat) hes not settled in the kitchen in the evening, when i put him bed at night, hes trying to get out to the kitchen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

Sorry to say you should have left him out from the beginning. Now your going to have behavioral problems and I would not at all be surprised if he's peeing just to get your attention.
    Collies as other folks have pointed out are working dogs. They have a serious amount of stamina and can run up to 30KM a day without bother! My young un is 4 months old and she would put a fully grown GSD to shame.
    That said I have read somewhere that they are equally adaptable to sitting around waiting for commands all day also.
    Fence off the garden and out him outside. My one got the message very early on that she has her space and we have ours. It's so vitally important you give him his space.

took a chance last night and left him in kitchen as when i was putting him in the hall where he normally sleeps he will try and get out and if i get the door closed on him hes pacing and just standing up in there, not settling. so all was well this morning, no wetting last night, he was up on his chair and happy to see us. Wondering if something has indeed changed/spooked him in the hallway. there is nothing obvious to me, but he is nervous when the wind is up and doors are rattling, with the stormy conditions last week, wonder if i need to get his confidence back to stay in the hall.

of course i can understand we may also have just got lucky with him not wetting last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Collies do tend towards nervousness the weather is stormy. Ours would hide under the couch and not come out for hours.

I hope this was just a glitch and that things will settle for you again, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

my lab used to be in a small hall just outside the kitchen, he would rip up his bed if we went out or left him at night.

now he sleeps on the sofa in the kitchen and never attacks anything.

mind you he's a bit spoilt because if i was on my own at night i would bring him up to my bed.

he also barks and jumps at the door if he's put out of the kitchen for visitors, but a farmer visited one day and told me not to put him out as he is being put out of his territory,mind you this man has a well trained working dog so our dog was actually well behaved in his company and didn't jump all over him, he has a gift with animals. the barking and jumping at the door is a good thing if your outside trying to get rid of a salesman and he's inside looking like a nut of a dog, they leave a lot quicker than if your on your own

you could leave a radio on if you put him back in the hall, it might make him think he's not alone

thanks - i am gonna try him in kitchen again tonight and if that sorts it short term then thats fine, then i will try and get him confident in the hall again going forward.

Advertisement