Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IR self triggerring Wildlife/scout Camera ?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Is anyone out there using any of the self triggering infa red wildlife/scout cameras. The camera's I can find for sale are pretty costly at about €150 - do they work and does anyone have any ideas as regards cheaper options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Plenty of information on the Hunting forum. I've four now at the minute, three Bushnells and a Moultrie.

Trailcampro and chasingame are two good sites independent of the manufacturers.

There's a LOT to know about these cameras, I'd advise you to read both sites cover to cover before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

johngalway wrote: »
    Bushnells and a Moultrie.

Johngalway, can you post any sample photo's from one of the above just to show the quality. I'm also interested in one of these.

V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Posts #26 and #29 of this thread
    Near end of thread if I've got the post numbers wrong :)

The black and white ones are from a Moultrie GameSpy i60 which is infrared at night. If you look at the information strip at the bottom it tells you a lot, the Bushnell one I have uses a flash and will have a different info strip as you'll see from the photos. Condensation played havoc on some photos, due to the very cold weather at the time.

MDGC0181.jpg

MDGC0178.jpg

MDGC0172.jpg

MDGC0057.jpg

MDGC0209.jpg

MDGC0035.jpg

MDGC0034.jpg

MDGC0028.jpg

Below is one of the Bushnell photos. I love this one. If you look through the gap in the wall what do you see? Rhymes with box... :D

SUNP0002.jpg

MDGC0040.jpg

MDGC0070.jpg

MDGC0096.jpg

MDGC0128.jpg

I'll throw some more up in a minute. There may be the odd repetition as they're jumbled up in my photobucket account.

MDGC0130.jpg

MDGC0103.jpg

MDGC0079.jpg

MDGC0001.jpg

MDGC0009.jpg

MDGC0008.jpg

MDGC0007-1.jpg

MDGC0022.jpg

MDGC0021.jpg

MDGC0020.jpg

MDGC0017.jpg

MDGC0014.jpg

MDGC0007.jpg

• Advertisement

These are older cameras and may be surpassed by newer technology.

My girlfriend bought me a new Bushnell for Christmas, if I get time I'll throw it out tomorrow as lambing is fast approaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

I have a cheapish generic chinese made wildlife camera called a KeepGuard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8MP-Digital-Scouting-Stealth-Trail-Game-Wildlife-Camera-/220667479800?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3360ce86f8

Im fairly happy with it. Its small and light, doesnt use much power, takes both photos and videos, day and night and is camoflaged. Make sure you get a camera that is camoflaged or at least green in colour, as people do steal them from public forests.

The only downside to the KeepGuard is that it is difficult to fix in place and point where you want it, due to the rather simple strap that comes with it. Im currently trying to buy or make some kind of bracket for fixing it to horizontal branches as Im not happy with the strap.

Ill try and upload some sample photos in next post as Im having trouble with the site at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Heres an example of a night shot from the KeepGuard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Advertisement