Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage/Network options

Options
  • 20-02-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out the best way to configure my network at home/home office.

In sitting room
    Mac Mini running Plex
    1 Gb HD
    Airport Express

In home office
    Macbook Pro
    Printer
    4 x External HDs

I was thinking of buying a Drobo unit for the office, stick all my externals in it and tidying it all up. Wanted to put all my movies etc from the Mac Mini downstairs on it too, and replacing the Mac Mini with an AppleTV in the sitting room.

The Mac Mini then could be moved to the office as a second computer, and would run Plex Media server that the AppleTV would connect to.

The MBP is used for 99% of my work, and comes with me when Im out.

What Im trying to figure out is the best way to connect it all. I want the Mac Mini to be able to access the Drobo, but I also want the Drobo to be connected the fastest way possible to my MBP. When I disconnect my MBP I still want the drobo to be connected to rest of the network.

Can anyone help me figure it out? Is the Drobo the wrong option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

What you need my friend is a Drobo FS.....the NAS version of Drobo.

I have one and it is pretty cool. 5 HDD bays with 1 or 2 redundant disks (configurable). I have the exact set up you are looking for. Have everything except system files on the Drobo. Have a jailbroken Apple TV gen 2 with the Plex client to watch everything in the sitting room. Works a treat.

In terms of transfer speed, I am getting 27 MB/s transfers to the Drobo when my computer is ethernet wired. I have never seen that using a USB attached external disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

+bajillion

I'm currently saving to get one! If anyone wants to donate to a good cause (poor student), please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Can I ask why Drobo? QNAP, ReadyNAS, Synology and Thecus offer similar NAS products which deliver better performance.

I'm just curious as this is the second thread I've seen recently mentioning Drobo.

Drobo products use what they call BeyondRAID technology. There is lots of details on their website.

Essentially there are no limitations that traditional RAID has, such as specific order of disks, use disks of equal size, inability to increase array size without starting over. Drobo does not have these limitations.

Also, as the Drobo FS is essentially a PC running Linux, you can install applications to it to extend It's features such as FTP serving, media serving etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I have one and it is pretty cool. 5 HDD bays with 1 or 2 redundant disks (configurable). I have the exact set up you are looking for. Have everything except system files on the Drobo. Have a jailbroken Apple TV gen 2 with the Plex client to watch everything in the sitting room. Works a treat.

In terms of transfer speed, I am getting 27 MB/s transfers to the Drobo when my computer is ethernet wired. I have never seen that using a USB attached external disk.

Was thinking as much. Was worried the transfer speeds over ethernet would be really slow compared to USB/Firewire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Talisman wrote: »
    Can I ask why Drobo? QNAP, ReadyNAS, Synology and Thecus offer similar NAS products which deliver better performance.

I'm just curious as this is the second thread I've seen recently mentioning Drobo.

Er... cos this is the Mac forum where the marketing campaign used to sell you products is as important (perhaps more so) than the actual product.;)

Whilst the Drobo box is nice - the options you list offer similar services at a much reduced price.

doopa wrote: »
    Er... cos this is the Mac forum where the marketing campaign used to sell you products is as important (perhaps more so) than the actual product.;)

Whilst the Drobo box is nice - the options you list offer similar services at a much reduced price.

No need to be a tool.

As I said in the last line of my post;
    Can anyone help me figure it out? Is the Drobo the wrong option?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Drobo seems perfect to me. I'm biased, I haven't researched the alternatives. I've been watching Drobo for the last few years. Still haven't managed to get one yet!

I think they look effective, aesthetically pleasing and, like my laptop, they just work!

Drobo products use what they call BeyondRAID technology. There is lots of details on their website.

Essentially there are no limitations that traditional RAID has, such as specific order of disks, use disks of equal size, inability to increase array size without starting over. Drobo does not have these limitations.

Also, as the Drobo FS is essentially a PC running Linux, you can install applications to it to extend It's features such as FTP serving, media serving etc
    There's nothing new or unique to Drobo listed there. Infrant launched their ReadyNAS product in 2004 offering X-RAID as a setup option. X-RAID offered all the benefits of RAID along with the ability to swap in larger drives to create a larger disk array dynamically. It was revolutionary at the time but it's a standard feature now.

QNAP call it Online RAID
    Synology call it Hybrid RAID
    Thecus call it RAID Expansion

The technology is the same idea as Drobo's BeyondRAID.

All of the systems run a Linux kernel and offer similar suite of features : FTP, Web hosting, Database hosting, iTunes/UPnP/DLNA media servers, Torrent clients.

If I was to buy a new NAS today I would go for a Synology because the company wipes the floor with the others in terms of their customer service.

Talisman wrote: »
    There's nothing new or unique to Drobo listed there. Infrant launched their ReadyNAS product in 2004 offering X-RAID as a setup option. X-RAID offered all the benefits of RAID along with the ability to swap in larger drives to create a larger disk array dynamically. It was revolutionary at the time but it's a standard feature now.

QNAP call it Online RAID
    Synology call it Hybrid RAID
    Thecus call it RAID Expansion

The technology is the same idea as Drobo's BeyondRAID.

All of the systems run a Linux kernel and offer similar suite of features : FTP, Web hosting, Database hosting, iTunes/UPnP/DLNA media servers, Torrent clients.

If I was to buy a new NAS today I would go for a Synology because the company wipes the floor with the others in terms of their customer service.

Ooops I should have researched more before I purchased the Drobo :o

Synology looks good.....they've an awful website though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would go with QNAP or Synology. I prefer QNAP but either of these will give you a great device that is very extendable and has excellent 3rd party support.

You mention plex media server. It would be worth your while also looking at Unraid. The plex developers are going to add linux support for the media server and while it should run on QNAP or Synology hardware and be ok for streaming, I'm not sure if their limited RAM and Atom CPU can handle transcoding on the fly. Plex media server on a capable NAS device would mean that you wouldn't need a mac sitting between your NAS and Apple TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Well you could put XBMC on your Apple Tv, and that can read the files off your NAS, no need for plex server(although I do like plex for its ease of use, but XBMC once configured is just as good)

I would also go for Synology or QNAP over Drobo

Right so. Bought the Drobo FS. Have it connected to my AE and all is working fine. Have an iTunes server set up on it which is nice.

Might be a bit slow for my day to day design use but great to have a box that can be dumped out of sight and pretty much looks after itself.

Currently transfering over the data on each of my externals and then taking apart and using the drive in the Drobo. Pity there wasn't a way that you could insert the drive and it would cover over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I have a Synology DS211j and love it. The features are excellent, definitely a great addition to my network.

Right so. Bought the Drobo FS. Have it connected to my AE and all is working fine. Have an iTunes server set up on it which is nice.

Might be a bit slow for my day to day design use but great to have a box that can be dumped out of sight and pretty much looks after itself.

Currently transfering over the data on each of my externals and then taking apart and using the drive in the Drobo. Pity there wasn't a way that you could insert the drive and it would cover over there.
    Does the Drobo not have the facility to connect an external drive to it and directly transfer the files from it?

Advertisement