Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Short Stories

Options
  • 20-02-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I like a good short story but some modern ones leave me thinking what was that all about? Did I miss some underlying theme or symbolism?

Here are some of my favourites

An Incident at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
    Poignant twist
    The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
    Good twist again
    Leningen versus the Ants -Carl Stephenson
    All Action hero
    The Lady or the Tiger - Frank Stockton
    No answer to this
    The Secret Miracle- Borges
    Fascinating concept of one second being expanded to a year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 point7

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
    It's about a mobile library visiting Buckingham Palace and the Queen happens upon it and takes up reading, opening her mind and questioning issues.

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
    Devastating & beautiful prose about a couple on their wedding night. Set in the early 60s just before the sexual revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Suzie433

yep love the Lottery and Flannery O'Connor's a Good Man is Hard to Find is brilliant too, one of the more enjoyable ones, I think anway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I have always loved 'The Selfish Giant' by Oscar Wilde. It makes me cry each time I read it. Just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Chekhov's A Lady with a Dog and Hemingway's A Clean Well Lighted Place, two deeply meaningful and philosophical stories.

I enjoy many of Raymond Carver's stories also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.classicshorts.com/author.html

Here's a good link.

Some very good recommendations from people on here, increasing the reading list again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I'm a big fan of Kafka's short stories and one of my favourites is The Hunger Artist. In typical Kafka fashion it's a simple and absurd story (on the surface), but it's one of those stories that has stayed with me over the years.

Another short story I love is On the Rainy River by Tim O'Brien from the book The Things They Carried..powerful stuff. The book itself was not as good as I had hoped, maybe because the subject matter does not resonate with me on a personal level - it's a collection of stories, based on the authors experiences, about the Vietnam War - or maybe because it was over hyped by the person who recommended it, but the 'On the Rainy River' story captures so well the stand off between ideology and reality when having to make the monumental decision whether to go to war or not.

Advertisement