Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backup time machine then clean out my laptop?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,

sorry for the noobie question, i've used google/this forums search function and can't come up with a answer to this.

I got a WD passport to help store my photos on (which I have so many of my laptop crashed before, I had to delete loads of them so it would calm down).

My question is, if i do use the time machine is it safe for me to completely delete all my files on my mac and use my external harddrive to find them again? Or will the next time its connected will it time machine again and revert everything to what it sees on my lap top now? or will it just add the new files it finds on the laptop.

Mods if this doesn't deserve a thread or its better suited in a another thread, apologises in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭macdave

are planning to do a new clean install of leopard from CD?

if so when you reconnect the time machine volume it will not automatically be used for backup for the new system. time machine has to be set up again via system preferences.

use migration assistant to restore data from you time machine volume.
    this will set your pc up with new os and restore your existing files.

i suggest that you create a new user account when you install OS and get the combo update from apple.com so your operating system is on the latest version before you do any heavy lifting of data across.

you can also use applications like carbon copy cloner to backup files

Advertisement