Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog with many problems

Options
  • 20-02-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I have a little rescue dog with a long history of a very violent past. This is her 6th home. I now have her for 4 months and I love her dearly.There is no way she will leave me out of her sight & follows me everywhere around the house. I tried, in vain, to train her to sleep at night in the kitchen with the light on, heat on, radio on, treats etc. but after 2 horrible weeks of screaming and and hysteria I decided that she would never settle so I made up her bed in my bedroom. Trouble is she jumps up on my bed every couple of hours pretending that she wants to go out to the toilet. I bring her out but now I have started to just bring her out once or twice and then let her stay up on my bed where she is perfectly happy and sleeps away with no desire to go to the toilet at all!. Trouble is I am getting very little sleep as I am a very light sleeper and she moves from time to time to scratch and keeps waking me up. I love her so much and I know she deserves only the best after the wretched life she has had. She is approx.9 years. I don't suppose anybody has any ideas but I couldn't do anything to upset her in anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

has she a crate? If not it might be something to consider. we have one very nervy dog and she loves her crate, it is her security. she is thrilled to be heading in there and far happier than just a basket or pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Hi PPink. Do you mean to close the door of the crate?. I have never put a dog in a crate and I honestly couldn't see this little one staying in a crate. She has a lovely comfy bed near the radiator in my bedroom. I think she wants to be close to me on the bed for security.

I wouldn't close it at first but if you put her bed and toys in there and get her used to it as a security, eventually you will be able to close the door but I would do this gradually.
    I almost think of it like myself, if I go to a resturaunt I have to sit near a wall or I am very uncomfortable and not relaxed at all. I see our little dog like that, she likes to have a space where she is covered around the sides and back. It is a secure little den for her.
    It may be worth a try? maybe you could borrow a crate to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I agree with ppink, I use crates for nervous dogs and cover the whole crate except the front with a blanket to create a *cave*.

What type of crate should I buy and will I put it where I have made up her bed in my bedroom?. Thank you so much for your replies.

• Advertisement

I personally prefer the fold up ones as they can come in handy in a car as well and are easily stored away when folded flat. I would put it in a place she is used to like by the radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Also you can get them in Argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8706313/Trail/searchtext%3EPET.htm
    Thats an X-LARGE but they have other sizes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I would worry about putting a crate near a radiator. If your dog got too hot, she wouldn't be able to move away from the source of heat.

Mags, there was no mentioning of closing the door. ;)

Dinky22 I have one of these and i put a blanket around the top and 3 sides of it to create a little den. It is handy as Egar said it folds up to go into the car.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/?gclid=CLmop5TjmKcCFYGCDgod22Ddbw

I also have one of these

http://www.miligedo-shop.com/maelson-soft-kennel-tan.html

which our dogs LOVE. it also folds up handily. Now it is very expensive on this site, I am sure I did not pay that much for it!

you dont need it to be massive if she is small. just enough room for her to turn around comfortably and not be cramped.

If you are not bothered about it folding you could go for one of these

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/plastic_dog_crates_and_dog_kennels/129672

If it was me I would have her using it during the day also. where does she sleep in the day? our dogs have just come back from their walk and zoomed into their crate for a nap before breakfast. throughout the day they will spend most of their time sleeping in there.....the door is open and they can come and go as they please. our crate is in the kitchen near me.
    at night we are ok to leave them in the kitchen as they never got used to the bedroom but perhaps you should bring the carrier to the bedroom for the first while or you might scare her too much? Again I would leave the door open until she settles into it for a few weeks and then maybe close it for 10 mins at a time building up to all night maybe?

you could close it gently when she is in there and then give her a little treat when you open it.

Like mags said then you will have to judge how close to the radiator if you are closing it.

It is all a bit slower with a nervy dog I think, but it is a great thing in our house now.:)

• Advertisement

Thank you so much sotisme, Mags, Egar and ppink for your replies. I was delighted to see the websites you sent on ppink. I think, maybe, the website www.zooplus.ie might be the most suitable. Like you and Egar advise I will get a folding cage. I wonder which one would you recommend?. She is a Jack Russell type - the reason I say "type" is that she is just a tiny bit bigger than a Jack Russell. She gets a good walk during the day and a walk at night which she loves. She spends most of her day with me in my office where I work from the home and then I like to relax and watch tv in my bedroom in the evening and she lies on the bed with me. She also follows me all around the house whenever I go from room to room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dinky22...

I have no useful advice to give you as I just put my arm out at night and 'Roxy' lays down on it and goes asleep...Unless she's too warm and heads off towards the end of the bed.....

But, I did want to say fair play to you for being so kind and thoughtful to a rescue that's obviously had a hard life...I just don't get how people can be so cruel!:(

Dinky the one on zooplus looks good to me. It is similar to what i have which has the door on both sides of it which is handy for fitting into spaces or the car, you can use whichever door best suits you. As regards the size you would have to make the best estimate on your size of your dog.
    I just have one that my small dog can lie flat out on her side in if she wants but it is not massive. She is about 30cm high and 50cm long and our crate is 50cm wide and 70cm long and about 50cm high. she is very happy with it and can fit in fine. not too big or too small:). I think personally if it is very big it loses the "den" feel about it.
    Based on the sizes on zooplus I would be looking at either small or medium for my dog.
    Hope this helps Dinky:)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I also just wanted to say fair play to you too for doing such a great job and rescuing your new doggie :)

I second what everybody else has said about crates, they are great for insecure dogs especially if you put a towel or blanket over the back and sides. Once she has her cosy bed in there she will love it and you can get little water dishes that you clip on the front of the crate as well so she is all catered for :D

Advertisement