Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Head of Kinsale

Options
  • 20-02-2011 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey all

What is the story with the old Head of Kinsale these days? Is it still blocked off by the Golf course? Does anyone know if the court case for right of way ever went ahead? Suppose FF TD's golf there a lot would not surprise me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

As far as i know it's staus quo there - no access to us plebs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Still a private golf club, but now a lot cheaper to play there, Irish people are being encouraged to play there, approx €60 a round. Just to clarify, the land at the Old Head was put up for sale by the farmer who owned it. The County Council were offered first refusal, which is exactly what they did, refuse it. Their logic was who was going to buy it, a certain Mr O Connor had other ideas and put his money where his mouth was and invested a lot of money in turning it into a first class golf club, giving plenty of employment in the process, with at least a dozen green keepers employed not to mention caddies, restraunt and bar staff, and housekeeping for the lodges. How people considered it their devine right to walk on another persons property beats me.There was no right of way because to enter you had to climb over the gate or fence, i/e trespassing. As for FF golfers, I don't understand what you are incinuating!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads have a chance to play here this week. Fair bit involved in going.

Is it worth it, as in, unmissable ? or you wouldn't take leave to play it this time of year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

roundymac wrote: »
    Still a private golf club, but now a lot cheaper to play there, Irish people are being encouraged to play there, approx €60 a round. Just to clarify, the land at the Old Head was put up for sale by the farmer who owned it. The County Council were offered first refusal, which is exactly what they did, refuse it. Their logic was who was going to buy it, a certain Mr O Connor had other ideas and put his money where his mouth was and invested a lot of money in turning it into a first class golf club, giving plenty of employment in the process, with at least a dozen green keepers employed not to mention caddies, restraunt and bar staff, and housekeeping for the lodges. How people considered it their devine right to walk on another persons property beats me.There was no right of way because to enter you had to climb over the gate or fence, i/e trespassing. As for FF golfers, I don't understand what you are incinuating![/QUOTE

Isn't in NAMA?
    So hence it's owed by the people.
    The reason why people consider they have a devine right to walk out there is that people where doing it for years. It used to be packed every sunday. The road was a public road til the golf course was opened. So the council should have made it part of the planning if there was a legal problem over the exact ownership of the road.

Personally I think it sums up the attitude of irish public officials. Instead of using property for the use of all. Sell it for a quick buck and let a private individual use it for his private use. Who is picking up the bill in the end?

Taxpayer:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

but now a lot cheaper to play there, Irish people are being encouraged to play there, approx €60 a round.

Sooooo nice of them to admit the peasantry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Still a private golf club, but now a lot cheaper to play there, Irish people are being encouraged to play there, approx €60 a round. Just to clarify, the land at the Old Head was put up for sale by the farmer who owned it. The County Council were offered first refusal, which is exactly what they did, refuse it. Their logic was who was going to buy it, a certain Mr O Connor had other ideas and put his money where his mouth was and invested a lot of money in turning it into a first class golf club, giving plenty of employment in the process, with at least a dozen green keepers employed not to mention caddies, restraunt and bar staff, and housekeeping for the lodges. How people considered it their devine right to walk on another persons property beats me.There was no right of way because to enter you had to climb over the gate or fence, i/e trespassing. As for FF golfers, I don't understand what you are incinuating!

Sums up Cork County Council, seem to remember that the lottery was set up to provide funding for exactly this type of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Dob74 wrote: »
    Still a private golf club, but now a lot cheaper to play there, Irish people are being encouraged to play there, approx €60 a round. Just to clarify, the land at the Old Head was put up for sale by the farmer who owned it. The County Council were offered first refusal, which is exactly what they did, refuse it. Their logic was who was going to buy it, a certain Mr O Connor had other ideas and put his money where his mouth was and invested a lot of money in turning it into a first class golf club, giving plenty of employment in the process, with at least a dozen green keepers employed not to mention caddies, restraunt and bar staff, and housekeeping for the lodges. How people considered it their devine right to walk on another persons property beats me.There was no right of way because to enter you had to climb over the gate or fence, i/e trespassing. As for FF golfers, I don't understand what you are incinuating![/QUOTE

Isn't in NAMA?
    So hence it's owed by the people.
    The reason why people consider they have a devine right to walk out there is that people where doing it for years. It used to be packed every sunday. The road was a public road til the golf course was opened. So the council should have made it part of the planning if there was a legal problem over the exact ownership of the road.

Personally I think it sums up the attitude of irish public officials. Instead of using property for the use of all. Sell it for a quick buck and let a private individual use it for his private use. Who is picking up the bill in the end?

Taxpayer:(

Is it in NAMA? If so, can you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bofinfan

What a shame - u have to be a member of the golfclub to get in. Very exclusive.

Advertisement