Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who remembers the Paddys morning blizzard?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

I recall in the early 1980's the night before Paddys day and it was a miserable very wet night.

Went to bed and there was never a mention of snow in the weather forecasts. Next morning woke up to a full blown blizzard with drifting and 1ft deep snow and drifts 2-3 feet.

The snow thawed fairly quickly after but i also remember crossing a hilly area a couple of weeks later and the road was still blocked by drifts, this all occurred in North Kildare.

(just thought i'd remind all the moaners on here who now right off any chances of more snow)

Am i the only one who remembers this? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The only snow from then that I personally remember is that of Jan 82 which would be different to your event, I'm afraid. I've recently moved to north Kildare....what part of north Kildare would you be talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Hi,

Dont remember it myself now but ive dug up charts for paddies days from 1980-85. Remarkably for the most part they are very similar synopticly with northerlies were by far the most common setup.

148938.gif

148939.gif

148940.gif
    148941.gif
    148942.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

And 85..
    148944.gif

I was hoping to pin down a year and say when it was but as you can see 82 qnd 83 are the only years we can rule out, but even 82 had a northerly.

Its incredible that 83 was the only odd one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

I remember that snow. I think it may have been 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

I remember huuge snowdrifts in Meath in early eighties, a neighbour of ours got stuck waist deep in a 12 foot high snowdrift on the road. I remember everyone talking about it for weeks* (not a lot happened there). :D

No idea of the year though ( but between 1980 - 1983 I reckon) but it did happen.

*Because it was so unexpected and late, not just cause of his stuckedness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I went to a family wedding on the 16th March 1985 in Donegal. There was unexpected heavy snow the night before and the bride and bridesmaids were blue with the cold in their flimsy off the shoulder dresses. The photos came out well though ... very crisp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I can't remember whether it was Paddy's Day '98 or '99 that was an absolute scorcher. People were wearing shorts watching the parade, I'd love another one of those and feck the snow. I can't afford more oil in my tank and tigers are on the endangered list. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I can't remember whether it was Paddy's Day '98 or '99 that was an absolute scorcher. People were wearing shorts watching the parade, I'd love another one of those and feck the snow. I can't afford more oil in my tank and tigers are on the endangered list. :(

It was '99. I remember drinking beer outside in the sun with some friends and then going to a pub to watch Inter Milan v Man Utd in the CL Quarter Final. It was the year United won it which is why I know it was '99.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I recall in the early 1980's the night before Paddys day and it was a miserable very wet night.

Went to bed and there was never a mention of snow in the weather forecasts. Next morning woke up to a full blown blizzard with drifting and 1ft deep snow and drifts 2-3 feet.

The snow thawed fairly quickly after but i also remember crossing a hilly area a couple of weeks later and the road was still blocked by drifts, this all occurred in North Kildare.

(just thought i'd remind all the moaners on here who now right off any chances of more snow)

Elliejo wrote: »
    I remember that snow. I think it may have been 1979.

Wish I had't seen this , 'cause it's wreckin' me head now........
    It snowed in Dublin ,but the parade went ahead.My local parade (Waterford) was cancelled due to heavy rain/sleet.

Know it definitely wasn't 85/84/83....pretty sure it wasn't 82 or 80 (remember walking in the parade)......was 100% convinced it was 1981...until I saw the suggestion about 1979.
    My head hurts now..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

your a real joves comferter arent ya as if there's not enough misery in the country without you bringing that up get a life:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

your a real joves comferter arent ya as if there's not enough misery in the country without you bringing that up get a life:eek::eek::eek:

I'm pretty sure it's not up to you to decide if remembering a snow event in the 80's means you don't have a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

I'm pretty sure it's not up to you to decide if remembering a snow event in the 80's means you don't have a life.

Exactly ;). i think we all know who should get a life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

:rolleyes:

I dont but I remember camping in the woods in Killarney on a Good Friday back in the mid/late 70's and it snowing on the tent, could have been 1975 or '76

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

I remember it well, though can't swear as to the year but '81 sounds about right.

Myself and some of my brothers went for a ramble across the fields in the snow, I went to jump a fence but forgot about the drain and all the briars on the other side under the snow.........

Took me a long time to live that one down, much longer than it took the scratches to heal.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

nilhg wrote: »
    I remember it well, though can't swear as to the year but '81 sounds about right.

Children have been banned in our local parade for several years now, it came about after a particularly nasty sleety event that had children, many dressed in just jump suits and paper dresses/costumes were just a weeping mass of humanity.

It was one of two major events, about seven years ago a hurricane blew the place to bits but the children were not part of that parade, so, as I actually can't remember the year, '81 would seem to fit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

I dont remember it in the 80s but snow fell in my area on St Patricks Day in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

nilhg wrote: »
    gbee wrote: »
    '81 would seem to fit too.

I had a very quick look through the archives

It snowed on St. Patrick's Day in 1978

snow1978.jpg

and there is another mention of moderate snowfall in the Wicklow Mountains and the South-east on March 23 1981

march1981-1.jpg

It was '99. I remember drinking beer outside in the sun with some friends and then going to a pub to watch Inter Milan v Man Utd in the CL Quarter Final. It was the year United won it which is why I know it was '99.

yep it was 1999. remember being at the Leinster schools rugby final that day - it was over 20 degrees I would say. funny thing was that I don't think that there was any day approaching it until well into May.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

glasso wrote: »
    yep it was 1999. remember being at the Leinster schools rugby final that day - it was over 20 degrees I would say. funny thing was that I don't think that there was any day approaching it until well into May.

I remember going into town on Paddy's day in a T-Shirt! If I remember correctly, a week or two later(maybe Early April even) we had a light dusting of snow one morning in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I cant remember any snow on St Pat's Day but next Sun and Mon 27/28th see the 10th anniversary of a very decent snowfall on the east coast, 15cm maybe? I can remember recording -8c during the first days of March. :)
    There wasn't a decent fall for 8 years after that - Feb 2009

• Advertisement
Advertisement