Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's better? Local candidate or party?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is it better to vote for the person you think is the best local candidate, irrespective of their party allegiance; or to vote for the political party that best represents your views?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Well seeing as its a GENERAL election, it would be for the PARTY and their national POLICIES.

FFS, its NOT A LOCAL ELECTION!!!

*shakes head disbelievingly*

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Woodpigeon

To be fair, you do have good independent candidates aligned to no party, or you could have party candidates that are lazy incumbents, idiots, corrupt or simply unimpressive compared to others in the field. Should you pinch your nose and vote for these people anyway so long as the party best represents your views?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Woodpigeon wrote: »
    To be fair, you do have good independent candidates aligned to no party, or you could have party candidates that are lazy incumbents, idiots, corrupt or simply unimpressive compared to others in the field. Should you pinch your nose and vote for these people anyway so long as the party best represents your views?
    Imo, yes. The Dáil has very little power. Mostly you are just electing a guy to sit on a chair and press the Tá button as instructed by their party whip.

Is it better to vote for the person you think isthe best local candidate, irrespective of their party allegiance; or to vote for the political party that best represents your views?

The only chance of this having any effect if for a FG minority with independents support.

I myself am voting for an independent Dave McCarthy with transfers to FG. He's on a political reform ticket.

But I'm not kidding myself, Dave doesnt have a hope. So party policies are imperitive in this election. Hopefully it will be the death knell of the parish pump politics we know so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Party is everything in this election. And should be in any election for that matter, GE or European. The parties you elect to power determine the direction of all social and economic policy for the next 5 years. It's incredible, I've been hearing reports from home that there's an FG candidate canvassing who completely disagrees with FG policy on welfare and job creation, and says the best reason to vote for them is simply because "we need a local candidate" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

upmeath wrote: »
    Party is everything in this election. And should be in any election for that matter, GE or European. The parties you elect to power determine the direction of all social and economic policy for the next 5 years. It's incredible, I've been hearing reports from home that there's an FG candidate canvassing who completely disagrees with FG policy on welfare and job creation, and says the best reason to vote for them is simply because "we need a local candidate" :rolleyes:

Ah ffs, youre joking. :mad:

Doesnt matter anyway, he'll be whipped into shape in the dail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

90% of elected TDs are only numbers within the Dail for the party they belong to.

Your 'decent auld skin' candidate will do what he is told when it comes to a Dail vote, so go with the party that represents you best

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Woodpigeon

Thanks. I'm thinking of voting for an independent guy with transfers to the party that best represents my views. Not a chance of this independent getting in, but at least it represents a kind of trade off. What do people think about independent candidates? Should we bother?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What do people think about independent candidates? Should we bother?
    If he is standing for nothing but local issues, then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

oldyouth wrote: »
    90% of elected TDs are only numbers within the Dail for the party they belong to.

Your 'decent auld skin' candidate will do what he is told when it comes to a Dail vote, so go with the party that represents you best

This.
    Unless, like me, you strongly disagree with some of the policies of all of the parties. (I think the banks should never have been guaranteed to the extent they were, and I believe a mechanism needs to be found to enable a structured default on Bank debt, whilst paying our sovereign debt.)

I can't agree with the position held by any party. I don't believe any of them are telling the entire truth, so most of my preferences will go to Independents, with FG and FF, respectively getting the lowest possible preferences.

FF, because their policies are suicidal, and they don't understand accountability. FG, because they support the Bank guarantee that destroyed this country, and they intend to penalise the most vulnerable to pay this debt. (70% cuts, and an educational policy that will discourage the poorest in society from participating at third level, and encourage emigration by our graduates when we need them most.)

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    Ah ffs, youre joking. :mad:

Doesnt matter anyway, he'll be whipped into shape in the dail...

Yep, this candidate has all the hallmarks of a hardcore Shinner when it comes to welfare and job creation but they've been attached to FG for nearly 10 years in an effort to unseat FF, strength in numbers sort of candidate. Aired their policies in a radio debate during the week and couldn't believe FG were fielding this candidate. If elected, the whip will have the last say, and they'll be sorry they joined that party.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For a National Election you should be voting based on Policies and not Personalities.

One of the reasons we are in the mess we are is that people voted for someone because they were considered a "decent skin" but in reality they had no real power in the Dail they followed the party whip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Before the next election join the party and get the useless TD kicked out at the selection committee.
    Well that's tough so get a running mate, either a bright young councillor or even yourself :)

Our local party rep is a thundering waster and does nothing at all. Gets a reluctant vote due to the party but I want him replaced out in 5 years or so time.
    So arrogant he didn't start canvassing until a few days back. Reckons he had the seat sown up and doesn't even have to try or meet the voters

gandalf wrote: »
    For a National Election you should be voting based on Policies and not Personalities.

One of the reasons we are in the mess we are is that people voted for someone because they were considered a "decent skin" but in reality they had no real power in the Dail they followed the party whip.

rgOmL.jpg

Advertisement