Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing??????

Options
  • 20-02-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

After 20 years of sea fishing. i have decided to throw my hand at fresh water fishing theres not much sport in the sea fishing any more because of the over fishing, unless you own a boat that can get you a few miles off, anyways i love the idea of fighting a 10+ pound pike on light tackle and returning him back to his natural environment :D, me and close fishing friend set out yesterday at 6am for our first pike fishing adventure to inchigeelagh co cork, as we arrived we seen lots anglers on the bank that we were going to. we worn t long there and and one of the anglers close by came over to say hi, (we found out later he was checking us out:eek:) he told us certain people '' eastern Europe mainly'' have been killing all around them i was disgusted:mad:, how can people kill such a lovely sporting fish, and ruin fishing for every one else:(?. we fished all day till 6pm and not even a nibble we had great baits, and lures but nothing! iv been a little put of going back but iv heard such good reports about the area:confused:, im wondering if any body has caught any pike in this lake or is there a place closer to cork city, worth trying? i wouldn't mind traveling a longer distance to a place which have plenty of large pike, i just dont really want to sit around for a whole day again. i really want to feel the power of this awesome fish on the end of my rod. any help with this is much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

fish above the dam i had 7 pike last time i fished it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

fishing wrote: »
    After 20 years of sea fishing. i have decided to throw my hand at fresh water fishing theres not much sport in the sea fishing any more because of the over fishing, unless you own a boat that can get you a few miles off, anyways i love the idea of fighting a 10+ pound pike on light tackle and returning him back to his natural environment :D, me and close fishing friend set out yesterday at 6am for our first pike fishing adventure to inchigeelagh co cork, as we arrived we seen lots anglers on the bank that we were going to. we worn t long there and and one of the anglers close by came over to say hi, (we found out later he was checking us out:eek:) he told us certain people '' eastern Europe mainly'' have been killing all around them i was disgusted:mad:, how can people kill such a lovely sporting fish, and ruin fishing for every one else:(?. we fished all day till 6pm and not even a nibble we had great baits, and lures but nothing! iv been a little put of going back but iv heard such good reports about the area:confused:, im wondering if any body has caught any pike in this lake or is there a place closer to cork city, worth trying? i wouldn't mind traveling a longer distance to a place which have plenty of large pike, i just dont really want to sit around for a whole day again. i really want to feel the power of this awesome fish on the end of my rod. any help with this is much appreciated:)

The taking or killing of by any person of more than one pike on any day is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fishing

twogunkid wrote: »
    The taking or killing of by any person of more than one pike on any day is illegal.

your so right, and killing over 12 inches ''i think'' as well, while i was at the lake i seen on every good fishing spot, a ring of rocks which i later found out people are bbq them during the summer.....''' HELLO IT A PIKE'' i think they should be 100% protected no killing what so ever, and enforce it.

fish above the dam i had 7 pike last time i fished it
    WOW 7 above the dam eh thats were we were fishing, what size were they and what time of year were you fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

twogunkid wrote: »

problem is there are very few people to enforce those laws. ive been fishing for over 10 years, never seen a bailiff on my local river

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

problem is there are very few people to enforce those laws. ive been fishing for over 10 years, never seen a bailiff on my local river

+1. We were renting a boat one day and im sure you've all seen them pike leaflets goin around a few year ago in tackle shops etc. (could be still around, dont know). Well anyway the man renting boats had the leaflets in the van, when a boat came in wit a number of pike in a net bag. From one around 2lbs to one i reckon around 7 pounds. The boat man tied up there boat and said thanks. Should they be given some rights as to confiscate rods etc too. Not that they would, money makes the world go round!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Pike fishing regulations can be found easily.
    Check out Conservation of pike bye law No.809 2006.
    The main points are: 1 pike per day no longer than 50cm (Approx 20''), can be taken. No more than 750g of pike flesh.

Therefore ALL pike over 50cm/20'' are protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lyran

People look at the post!!!! No-one is asking about the bloody by laws which we all are familiar with and lets be honest no one except those who are completely strange in the head would consider killing a pike or consider eating it. So try to answer what the person is actually asking about! I wouldn't be surprised if you have put him off pike fishing for good going on about all the laws when he clearly was just asking where is good to go after a long day fishing and no fish!

I would recommend you go to Lough derg it is an enormous body of water and produces many fine pike. I have personally had pike to 35lb there I did the shannon cruises a few times and just trolled for days.

If your not willing to travel that far i hear inniscara is good but haven't fished there myself. I've had a good few pike in inchigeela but mostly jacks, I had one 8lb pike down by the trout pots which is a good spot and is nice and deep.

In terms of what to use, I would recommend spinning with any plugs, grubs, copper spoons, and any dead baits, I caught the 8lb pike on half a mackeral, but also use roach and smelt. Completely up to yourself.

Best of luck with it and hope you catch something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The reservoirs are tough to fish due to the pike staying very close to features that may be hidden underwater.
    If you are getting into piking, I suggest fishing reservoirs with someone who knows the water, or with specific fishing advice ( not easily got seeing as what can result from handing it out).
    Or you might stick with the natural lakes where the pike spread out more, and features like weedbeds are more obvious on first viewing.

lyran wrote: »
    People look at the post!!!! No-one is asking about the bloody by laws which we all are familiar with and lets be honest no one except those who are completely strange in the head would consider killing a pike or consider eating it.QUOTE]

I'll tell you why I posted about the bye laws, not that I need to justify it, but at least 2 of the previous posts contained erroneous information in relation to said regulations.
    I have long ago came to the conclusion that there are too many anglers out there who simply do not have a working knowledge of the regulations, again if proof is needed look at the false info you see posted here and elsewhere.
    And finally, I have seen many pike killed (particularly pre 2006)over the years by people that were not 'strange in the head'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lyran

that's all good and fine and I appreciate your making people aware of the laws which is very important but the majority of sport anglers know this already and simply take a trophy shot and return the fish to the water. This guy was simply asking about what areas to fish and if you can't give any advice then whats the point in posting making an eejit of yourself. He made it blatantly clear in his first post that his intentions were to catch and release not to start mass murder of our pike stocks and start eating all around him!!

that's all good and fine and I appreciate your making people aware of the laws which is very important

You started out well and went downhill rapidly.

This guy was simply asking about what areas to fish and if you can't give any advice then whats the point in posting making an eejit of yourself.

The only ones, and I'll quote you here,''making an eejit'' of themselves, (your words not mine), are those giving misguided interpretations of the fishery legislation.
    Where I see such inaccuracies I will correct it, whether it pleases you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

First of all welcome to pike fishing but like your sea fishing it is not what it was because of all the reasons that everyone has posted . Secondly if you were not happy with blanking on your first day out give up pike fishing now it happens alot nowadays .Cork has/had some great pike waters which you will have to discover i could name a few spots now but im not going to and most pike anglers are the same we have our little spots but putting it up on boards for our FN friends to read go there and kill everything they can lay there hands on its sad its like this but it is and somebody mentioned lough derg once the best pike lake in europe which is now a very very hard water which was raped for years by german and french tourists with camper vans fitted with freezers which they filled to pay for there holiday and our FB clapping them on the back so i wouldnt waste your time in making the trip . Keep searching inniscara its a big water with carp in too if you want a fight . Sorry for ranting just a subject im very passionate about .One last piece of advise dont fish the car park swim other anglers around means it gets hammered get of the beaten track the pike do. Tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Following on from what was just said about avoiding car par swims-get an OS map and seek out lakes away from main roads or any roads for that matter.
    The less convenient lakes always get less fishing pressure and all going well are nearly untouched
    Theres a lake I fish thats in the arsend of nowhere and unlike a lake 10 miles away thats been hammered, it untouched-on an average day I might get 0-2 fish, my best day got me 22, smallest a perch the length of my hand the best a pike the length of my leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

coolwings wrote: »
    The reservoirs are tough to fish due to the pike staying very close to features that may be hidden underwater.
    If you are getting into piking, I suggest fishing reservoirs with someone who knows the water, or with specific fishing advice ( not easily got seeing as what can result from handing it out).
    Or you might stick with the natural lakes where the pike spread out more, and features like weedbeds are more obvious on first viewing.

The old reservoir in Ballincollig, Co. Cork is supposed to hold a head of Pike - never fished it before, but have heard of a few local lads that use it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Andip wrote: »
    The old reservoir in Ballincollig, Co. Cork is supposed to hold a head of Pike - never fished it before, but have heard of a few local lads that use it
    There are no pike in that reservoir one was put in years ago and was found dead in a bush after been caught it has carp and skimmer bream in it but saying that all the carp have probably been someones xmas dinner by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Here's a good video that might entertain yez.
    Theres a few different videos of the same fish in the same spot.
    tought it was good myself

Thanks for all the great advice, and sorry for the up roar. well i think the dam is out of the question as the only pike ever in it was found dead in a bush. i under stand that most of you dont want to make it public knowledge of the good fishing spots but if you feel the need to help a fellow fisher out you could just personal message me :D also any help one bait of rigs to use would be great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bolster4103

i heard reports of "Eastern Europeans" using tractor batteries to electrocute the pike also two boats heading out with a net and taking and killing everything they catch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

your so right, and killing over 12 inches ''i think'' as well, while i was at the lake i seen on every good fishing spot, a ring of rocks which i later found out people are bbq them during the summer.....''' HELLO IT A PIKE'' i think they should be 100% protected no killing what so ever, and enforce it.

Id have to agree with that, killing none is what the rule should be. Ridiculous it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I wouldn't be surprised if you have put him off pike fishing for good going on about all the laws when he clearly was just asking where is good to go after a long day fishing and no fish!

If telling someone about the bylaws of pike fishing puts them off it, then its probably not the type of activity for them to participate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

WOW 7 above the dam eh thats were we were fishing, what size were they and what time of year were you fishing?

the pike i got were between 4 and 8 pound and it was in december i was fishing a newk and i got them with a sea fishing blue shad

Advertisement