Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something weird happened with my MacBook pro...

Options
  • 20-02-2011 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm a first time Mac user & I'm stressing over something that's probably not even a big deal...it's only a few days old so if something tends to go wrong, I freak :(

I got two discs with my laptop: Mac OS X Install DVD & Applications Install DVD

Tonight I decided to install them (seeing as they came with the laptop I deemed it must be necessary?) So after installing them, my applications on the bottom of the screen are acting funny! the 'app store' is now a question mark & 'imovie' says I need to reinstall it using the Applications DVD?! But it was working perfectly fine before I installed it! And when I try reinstalling it on the App DVD the instructions are different to what they say in Mac help & I can't fix it back to normal :(

I realize how simple I sound, but I'm still learning! If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, please let me know :(

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Hey everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm a first time Mac user & I'm stressing over something that's probably not even a big deal...it's only a few days old so if something tends to go wrong, I freak :(

I got two discs with my laptop: Mac OS X Install DVD & Applications Install DVD

Tonight I decided to install them (seeing as they came with the laptop I deemed it must be necessary?) So after installing them, my applications on the bottom of the screen are acting funny! the 'app store' is now a question mark & 'imovie' says I need to reinstall it using the Applications DVD?! But it was working perfectly fine before I installed it! And when I try reinstalling it on the App DVD the instructions are different to what they say in Mac help & I can't fix it back to normal :(

I realize how simple I sound, but I'm still learning! If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, please let me know :(

x

I see your new to boards. You might get a better reply on the Mac forum or maybe a mod might move it there for their expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

I'm not really clear what you reinstalled? Was it just the Applications (iLife) or was it the Operating System. Both the apps and OS come preinstalled, so you shouldn't need to reinstall unless you delete them. But I'm now guessing that you've reverted to an older version than was installed, of the applications and/or the OS. The app store application requires the latest OS release 10.6.6. My first port of call to fix this would be to run Software Update from the Apple menu and install any updates.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

I'll just add one further point - seeing as you've a new machine - Apple provide 90 days free telephone support - so you can call them about any issues you're having. Sometimes this may be your quickest route to a solution.

Anyway, welcome to the Mac world.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Can I ask why you would use those discs on a new machine? the stuff on those discs should have already been installed on the laptop when you bought it, the discs are if you want to wipe the machine and start from scratch.

Advertisement