Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting Lpg?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone got a car with LPG in it?

Any info on fitting it or using it would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

have you checked that that you have a local Source for LPG? this might be your first problem!

What are you fitting it to ???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JoeySully wrote: »
    have you checked that that you have a local Source for LPG? this might be your first problem!

What are you fitting it to ???

Local source I have.

It's going into a 500 sel Merc!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

if you are any way mechanical it is straight forward enough to fit, i fitted it years a go to an opel i had, just have to remember to switch it back to petrol for easy starting the next morning, otherwise from that i found it econimical enoufg. i aint seen lpg in a long time.... good luck with the work....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Local source I have.

It's going into a 500 sel Merc!
    Which generation is it? Is it a W126 or W140? The earlier one had mechanically controlled fuel injection system and I would rather avoid the conversion.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Which generation is it? Is it a W126 or W140? The earlier one had mechanically controlled fuel injection system and I would rather avoid the conversion.

It's a W126! Is it not do able?

• Advertisement

It's a W126! Is it not do able?
    Well, some people have them converted and running, but they generally do not run too well on LPG. The newer electronically controlled fuel injection engines are perfect for the LPG conversion though.

Well, some people have them converted and running, but they generally do not run too well on LPG. The newer electronically controlled fuel injection engines are perfect for the LPG conversion though.

Fair enough, It's not my car but I'll pass the info on! Thanks

Fair enough, It's not my car but I'll pass the info on! Thanks
    You are welcome. If your friend is going to do it anyway, the only option is the third generation conversion and someone who knows how to do it. Where is he going to do it?

And by the way, as a matter of interest - what is the current price of LPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Why are you doing it, I don't think there is any benefit in doing it to save money.

You are welcome. If your friend is going to do it anyway, the only option is the third generation conversion and someone who knows how to do it. Where is he going to do it?

And by the way, as a matter of interest - what is the current price of LPG?

The last time I was it it was 85 cent a litre, I'll have to check again.
    Traumadoc wrote: »
    Why are you doing it, I don't think there is any benefit in doing it to save money.

Why wouldn't it be? The car is a 5.0 v8!

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't it be? The car is a 5.0 v8!
    The fuel efficiency will drop probably by about 15-20% and if the installer will make a mess of the conversion, it may be even worse. Do the maths before you start, as it may take a long time to get your money back.

The fuel efficiency will drop probably by about 15-20% and if the installer will make a mess of the conversion, it may be even worse. Do the maths before you start, as it may take a long time to get your money back.

He has the tank got which cost very little, it's just the matter of plumbing it up :L

He has the tank got which cost very little, it's just the matter of plumbing it up :L
    That's a great start ;). But there is a lot more than just plumbing works...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The last time I was it it was 85 cent a litre, I'll have to check again.

When was the last time? Please check the current price and report back here :)

I was just talking to him there, he said he checked it last week and it was 85 c a litre.

He's also wondering would anyone have the bit to get the gas into the carb?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's that?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Working with LPG is quite dangerous if you are not familiar with it. The tank is the most basic item, I assume its a correct reinforced unit. You need the compressor pump, the electro valves etc......plenty of kit.

The range will be short too, you may be lucky to get from one pump to another !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

LPG requires 20-30% more fuel per Km, if you can find it, when you add cost of conversion the savings are not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Local source???

85c/ litre?

MMMmmmmmm........

$(KGrHqR,!hoE1hdiq1PsBNZTknUC4g~~_12.JPG
    bulk-tank-outside.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ragerman

Petrol stations with LPG
    Does anyone know of or where to find a COMPREHENSIVE and up to date list of such stations, please. I need gas for my forklift and there is nothing in a 30 mile radius from where I live. As I travel a lot I could fill my bottle wherever there is a station if I could find it.
    Passing just by and looking for a sign or pump/tank is not the safest bet.
    Anything appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

There was some guy on the main Motors board claiming to be selling LPG for 69c/l recently - i'm sure a search would dig it up.

Scary that i posted this a year ago :eek:

Scary that i posted this a year ago :eek:
    I take it it's not done yet?;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    I take it it's not done yet?;)

No, gave up on that idea. Funny though, i fell over the tank in the dark the other night and i don't think i've seen it since this time last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

Ragerman wrote: »
    Petrol stations with LPG
    Does anyone know of or where to find a COMPREHENSIVE and up to date list of such stations, please. I need gas for my forklift and there is nothing in a 30 mile radius from where I live. As I travel a lot I could fill my bottle wherever there is a station if I could find it.
    Passing just by and looking for a sign or pump/tank is not the safest bet.
    Anything appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hope that will help http://ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A carb in a 500SE? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 l_aga

dainius wrote: »
    This is out of date Im afraid..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

There was a feature in 'Car Mechanics' in the last year - check the forum on
    http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl

But a few things - don't think there's many LPG stations in Ireland any more and maybe the insurance co's here don't like it either - BOOM ! ?

Advertisement