Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prevent scaring?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Recently my young horse cut his front leg just above the knee on a trailer while travelling, got him a tetanus shot. Using Aloe Vera on his wound its healing really well, so happy. Plus he wasn't lame on the leg when he encountered the injury and still isn't so no worries there. :D

Was just wondering I was told to use Manuka honey on his wound to prevent it from scaring. So I would just like a another opinion really.

If any of your horses encountered injures, what did yous use to prevent the wound from scaring?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Granulated sugar and manuka honey is the shot:)
    Is there much proud flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

bullylover wrote: »
    Granulated sugar and manuka honey is the shot:)
    Is there much proud flesh?

No proud flesh at all, its healing well. Would you wrap that up with a stable bandage or not?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Get a good, high activity (20+) manuka, put in on a dressing and then bandage it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There's a product called 'Multiderm' which I've found absolutely fantastic for healing wounds without scaring. It was recommended to me by my vet a few years ago for a really deep wound which couldn't be stitched and healed it perfectly. As it comes in powder, cream and spray form, it should suit most types of wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I swear by Multiderm and use it on dogs, cattle, horses and even the donkeys. I only use the powder so can't comment on the spray or creme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Thanks all the advice much appreciated!:D ill update in a week or so. Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I've heard that cornucresine hoof ointment - which I found is brilliant for bad feet - is good for encouraging hair growth once the wound is completely healed.

Advertisement