Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving my head

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.Im going to shave my head in the next couple of weeks as my hair is residing and I have decided it's time to take the plunge.I keep it very short now and im going to get a 0 all over.The reason Im doing it now is I was told it's best to shave it this time of year as it's not as cold and my newly shaved head will get a bit of colour around this time of year.I have a few questions.
    Is there anything I should be doing to prepare my head for it's first shave?
    When it is shaved how should I maintain my head?is there any creams /washes/moisturisers I should use after it's shaved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

TBH, I always like cool air on my noggin. It has to be very cold before it becomes uncomfortable. Wash your hair before you shave it it it's long ish. Stay away from all the magic potions, they're not necessary if you're just using a buzzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I remember taking the plunge into 0 blade territory. Was pretty nervous about it, worried about how misshapen my head might look, if my hair would ever grow back and other such ridiculous things. Now I shave my head twice a week to keep the hair shorn. Never regretted doing it.
    No real ceremony to it. Just shave it with a zero blade and then wash my head in the shower. That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Does your head not be very white when you shave with a 0. I shave with 1 myself, to keep a bit of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Does your head not be very white when you shave with a 0. I shave with 1 myself, to keep a bit of colour.

Eh, nah not really. It's not wet-shaved, smooth like a baby's bum. It's still got a shadow on it, so you can see the hairline so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was told to use a moisturiser with a sun protector if your shaving your head for the first time.the moisturiser prevents flakey scalp and the SP stops sun burn as your head can get burnt very quickly compared to face and body.im not sure if this would be needed if you were constantly shaving your head it might be jsut at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I did the Zero blade a few years ago, its wasn't too bad until I went to Denmark and it was in the minus degrees, twas cauld!.
    One time I Mac 3'd my head, the amount of people that slapped my head was unreal.
    Started growing it back the past few years. Its like everything else, you get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Speaking as a barber who trains barbers all over ireland and uk, i've a balding head and i wear a zero. i say i agree with ignoring all the lotions and potions. Just Jump in and shave it off. If you own your own clippers do it every 3 days or so. Might look a little lighter for first couple of times but will then take on a nice darker 'five o clock shadow' look. It will look a bit different so just give yourself three or four days to get used to your new look. By then you'll feel like you always wore your hair that way. Avoid washing your head with soap. Ever. Shampoo is for your scalp as well as your hair so whatever worked before is fine for the future (ie if for example you used shampoo for eg dandruff, oily dry normal hair scalp whatever etc, then carry on. Moisturisers only necessary for a mach3 type shave to the bone- but thats a different animal entirely to a zero blade. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    ...Moisturisers only necessary for a mach3 type shave to the bone...

Sorry to hijack but can I ask if there is anything I need to know about wet-shaving my head? I've been on DIY blade 0s for ten years and I was thinking about wet-shaving to see if I prefer it...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

In the same boat as the OP, so taking the above advice on board!

Any recommendations for best clippers or will any decent set do?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but can I ask if there is anything I need to know about wet-shaving my head? I've been on DIY blade 0s for ten years and I was thinking about wet-shaving to see if I prefer it...

good question. You dont hav as much fat tissue etc on your head as your face. Youre just shaving over skin and bone so a wet head shave is different to face. Prob best if your head is filed down to your normal zero first. If youre havin a bath shower sauna your pores will be nice and open. If your just shaving at the sink, a towel/ facecloth with the water as hot as you can bear. Might want to do hot towel twice. Then lather your whole head nice and thoroughly with shaving foam never soap. Dont be gentle, work that foam into the follicles. Basically it kind of makes the hairs almost looser and easier to come out. Sharp razor. Never try to get one more shave out of a dull one. Small strokes from front to back. Sides from crown to ear. Try not to stroke same area twice. Stroke firmly once with blade and move on. Repeat the double hot towel treatment. Aftershave is good, only stings for half a second but stops your head getting very sore itchy dry or spotty in the hours to follow. Finish with a light balm moisturiser or oil. Hope this helps you!

• Advertisement

Smurts wrote: »
    In the same boat as the OP, so taking the above advice on board!

Any recommendations for best clippers or will any decent set do?

if its only for regular use on just your head then any decent set is grand. I would recommend wahl. You can get a wahl or babyliss in argos for 15to20 quid. You dont need the barber ones which range from 60to90 quid. Its only for you. The width of the clipper head can vary. For your own use i'd get the widest head (about 3in wide maybe, which would be about as wide as your thumb is long as opposed to the smaller one. You'd be shaving all day). Hope thats of some use!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Speaking as a barber who trains barbers all over ireland and uk, i've a balding head and i wear a zero. i say i agree with ignoring all the lotions and potions. Just Jump in and shave it off. If you own your own clippers do it every 3 days or so. Might look a little lighter for first couple of times but will then take on a nice darker 'five o clock shadow' look. It will look a bit different so just give yourself three or four days to get used to your new look. By then you'll feel like you always wore your hair that way. Avoid washing your head with soap. Ever. Shampoo is for your scalp as well as your hair so whatever worked before is fine for the future (ie if for example you used shampoo for eg dandruff, oily dry normal hair scalp whatever etc, then carry on. Moisturisers only necessary for a mach3 type shave to the bone- but thats a different animal entirely to a zero blade. Hope this helps!

Best advice ever. I decided to take the plunge in late 2008 after watching my hair receede at an alarming rate in the previous 4-5 years. I go to a barber every fortnight to get the .5 and it looks great. My parents hate it though. but hey its either that or the Letchkov look.

_40143979_letchkov270.jpg

Partizan wrote: »
    Best advice ever. I decided to take the plunge in late 2008 after watching my hair receede at an alarming rate in the previous 4-5 years. I go to a barber every fortnight to get the .5 and it looks great. My parents hate it though. but hey its either that or the Letchkov look.

_40143979_letchkov270.jpg

check out my reply to smurts's post above. Could be far cheaper for you to go to, say, argos and pick up a clipper for yourself for no more than twenty squid- last you a lifetime and you could do it every three of four days if you wish. Not tryin to do your barber out of work- i give that advice to my own guys too when they feel its time to go zero or half. Tho a lot of them come into me simply cos i dont charge anywhere near full whack for running a clipper over their head. Hope your getting a similar discount- you should be!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

check out my reply to smurts's post above. Could be far cheaper for you to go to, say, argos and pick up a clipper for yourself for no more than twenty squid- last you a lifetime and you could do it every three of four days if you wish. Not tryin to do your barber out of work- i give that advice to my own guys too when they feel its time to go zero or half. Tho a lot of them come into me simply cos i dont charge anywhere near full whack for running a clipper over their head. Hope your getting a similar discount- you should be!

Nothing compares going into my barber on a Friday evening for a good chat while she runs the blade over my hair. That and with all the grooming - eye brows, ear hair and cat hairs comes to the princely sum of €7. An enjoyable way to mill away an hour or so on a Friday evening. :D

Fair play to her thats excellent value. And you're right, its a nice way to unwind for a bit. What makes my job most enjoyable is the banter and the fact that the guys enjoy coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

i started shaving my head just after my 21st, my hair grows very fast an its ginger lol, but my gf at the time suggested after i got blade 0 all round, so she got a mac 3 an shaved me smooth, nearly 30 now an smooth shaven all over havent looked back sice, sadly we are not together anymore, it suits some ppl and not for others, often when i go out some woman cant just help it an give me a feel.

happy shaving all

Advertisement