Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of trying Yoga!

Options
  • 19-02-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

In have been thinking of trying Yoga, as I am looking to improve my flexibility. I am nearly 40, slightly overweight, but I am a kayaker (Canoeist). The biggest problem I have when I paddle is I am very stiff in the boat. I do have an issue with my back and shoulder, from a broken collar bone about 20 years ago, to which I only rec'd phyiso about 3 years ago for.

So basically,before I waste time, both mine and an instructors, can yoga help with the flexibility issues? What other benefits could I see, weight loss? Lowering Blood pressure?

Finally, what should I expect to play for classes? Is there an official Yoga Ireland standard for classes? And can anyone advise somewhere near Mullingar for classes, bearing in mind I would be a complete novice.

Thanks for reading above.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi OldManMondeo ... interesting name ;-)

Definitely yes yoga can help with flexibility issues.

However, you should be aware that there are about 8 main different types of yoga being taught in Ireland some of which are radically different to each other.

If you would like an overview of the different types of yoga please see
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/courses-classes/what-type-of-yoga-is-best-for-me.html

For yourself i would recommend looking for a more gentle 'loosening class' rather than a strong physical workout. If you practice too many downward dog postures or chaturanga pose with tight shoulders, you may end up stiffening and tightening up further... so much better to start with loosening first.

I would recommend you to try Satyananda yoga as this is ideal for improving your 'inner awareness' as well as loosening up the muscles. So as your awareness develops, you will 'notice during the day' when you do something that tightens your shoulders, so will then be able to back off, and do what you are doing in another way.... in order to prevent further tightening .... rather than relying purely on remedial effects.

So in time this type of yoga will work for you on a preventative basis.... as well as on many other levels.

Regarding price... a lot depends on the part of the country and the teacher.

Here at the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre (Galway/Clare border near Kinvara) i charge €55 for 5 weeks of 90 minute classes, which works out at €11 per class.

In Dublin some teachers are charging as much as €18 per class, although other teachers in Dublin charge as little as €11 per class.

I don't know these teachers personally but you could try
    http://www.phoenixyogastudio.net/packages.html
    and make sure you ask for a gentle class that will include loosening postures for your shoulders.

Make sure you ask to be included in a complete beginners class.... and not be mixed in with others who have been practicing for a few years.... unless it happens to be a very gentle class.

There are many many benefits to practicing yoga, and a lot will depend on what type of yoga you practice, the quality of the teacher, and also how often you do the practice yourself each week (ideally about 5 times a week yourself outside the yoga class for about 15 minutes a day to start with)

You can read more about the benefits at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/about-yoga/benefits-of-yoga.html

I wish you well with your practice.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 radekisner34

Yoga at any age is a a good thing, but for people over 40, yoga is even better. Yoga defies aging in ways that nothing else can. If you practice yoga on a regular basis, muscle stiffness will simply be a thing of the past. Yoga lengthens muscles, making them more pliable and flexible.Yogis have affirmed that the young, the old, the sick and the infirm can also undertake the practice of asanas with relative ease. However, children under the age of five need not be initiated into Yoga exercises.

Advertisement