Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic

Options
  • 19-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I am hoping to do a health science(Paramedic) degree and then get some experience in australia and i'm just wondering if this would be accepted in Ireland when i eventually come back to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Check out the PHECC website, it will give you the information you require. There are also quite a few threads on here about the same subject so using the search function should yield results.
    There are quite a few Paramedics working for the NAS who gained their qualification in another country. You will be required to register with PHECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

A degree in australia wouldn't be a bad thing but as far as i am aware Irish paramedics have a higher scope of practice than you will learn in australia. The degree does not cover advanced skills such as intubation. At best you might be able to register with PHECC as paramedic after doing some gap training. Also depends on the university you study at (Charles sturt, Edith Cowen etc

Do paramedics in Ireland intubate? or is it only for APs?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Do paramedics in Ireland intubate? or is it only for APs?

Intubation is an AP skill. Paramedic level I-Gel, LMA and of course OPA and NPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

thanks bang bang that clears up a few things for me. Im planning on moving to ireland shortly. Are there many jobs over there for paramedics?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

did you look further into studying paramedic sciences in aus OP ? this idea poped into my head recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Yes i have looked a lot more into it.
    As i have PR i can study here in uni in melbourne for around 3000aus per semester.

You can also start off in a course doing patient transfers and the like and upskill to the level of paramedic.
    This costs around 4000aus for a three month course initially so you can work while you study after the three month course.

Im hoping to go to the university of victoria next year although i better get my arse in gear or it will be the following february by the time i start.

Advertisement