Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are personal imports now illegal on AEGs in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, but I've struggled to find a definitive answer, even on the IAA website.

I'm hoping to place an order for an AEG soon, and I wanted to be absolutely certain that it wouldn't be ceased and destroyed.

The gun I'm ordering is within the legal restriction in terms of FPS and joules, so that's not a problem.

So, if anyone here has had experience importing AEGs in the last few weeks or months, please tell me!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

From my understanding there is legislation in place stating anything that looks like a firearm (RIF - realistic imitation firearm) is illegal to import to the country unless you have a license as an airsoft shop (online or walk in) owner.

This isnt being enforced as of yet so to the rule of the law your still breaking the law importing without a license but the gardai / customs dont ether seem to know or care. They seem to be following the same old procedure they always had of testing to see if under 1j or not and if under the 1j limit they then send it on.

If they simply decide they do not want you to have the RIF they are within their powers now to destroy it end of.

I have had issues with importing even before the new legislation was in place where the pistol I ordered were under the limit and they still refused to release them to me, had to go to court to get them back but I did in the end.These days however I wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

In short while you CAN apparently still import, to the letter of the law it is illegal unless your a retailer. Your all together better bet is to ask one of the Irish retailers to import for you.

It helps them turn a profit and keeps you on the right side of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

hightower1 wrote: »
    From my understanding there is legislation in place stating anything that looks like a firearm (RIF - realistic imitation firearm) is illegal to import to the country unless you have a license as an airsoft shop (online or walk in) owner.

This isnt being enforced as of yet so to the rule of the law your still breaking the law importing without a license but the gardai / customs dont ether seem to know or care. They seem to be following the same old procedure they always had of testing to see if under 1j or not and if under the 1j limit they then send it on.

If they simply decide they do not want you to have the RIF they are within their powers now to destroy it end of.

I have had issues with importing even before the new legislation was in place where the pistol I ordered were under the limit and they still refused to release them to me, had to go to court to get them back but I did in the end.These days however I wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

In short while you CAN apparently still import, to the letter of the law it is illegal unless your a retailer. Your all together better bet is to ask one of the Irish retailers to import for you.

It helps them turn a profit and keeps you on the right side of the law.

Thanks for the response!

It was difficult to find any straight answer, only speculation.

I would order with my local retailer, but he said that he will be unable to place another order for three weeks, which is unfortunate.

Do you know anyone who has ordered a rifle sized AEG in the recent months?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Just for completeness, the imports ban is not enforced yet, however the normal import issues still remain. Best to order local, it actually works out cheaper most of the time once customs take there cut.

fayer wrote: »
    Just for completeness, the imports ban is not enforced yet, however the normal import issues still remain. Best to order local, it actually works out cheaper most of the time once customs take there cut.

I would be more than happy to order local, but I can't find any local sites that stock the gun I'm looking for at a reasonable price.

I'm hoping to get the non-blowback King Arms Galil SAR.

Any sites you could recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

This is a worry for me at the moment. we have Zero
    indication as to when it actually will be enforced.
    I've stopped buying guns from abroad long ago getting all my stuff from Irish Retailers but I've a custom gun getting made and have been told it will be another few months.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,535 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It will only be enforced after the retailers have been approved for and granted their licences to trade so there will be some sign of it's impending arrival. The DOJ will probably give notice to the IAA of when it will be effective from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Blay wrote: »
    It will only be enforced after the retailers have been approved for and granted their licences to trade so there will be some sign of it's impending arrival. The DOJ will probably give notice to the IAA of when it will be effective from.

But if you order an AEG in the morning and some cop decides to enforce the law it would play out as......

, gets held at customs, they destroy it and you query why....."I direct you to blah blah subsection blah blah blah of the firearms act and as you may be aware importing a RIF to the republic is illegal and can be immediately destroyed"

Nothing you can do about it.

Just because its not enforced doesnt mean its legal, the law is the law... enforced or not. Buying from a retailer in IRL gives you a legal leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Not quite, just because it's on the statute books doesn't mean it's in force. A bill gets passed and then is enacted as the mechanisms for enforcing it are set up... It's my understanding that this part of that Act isn't enacted yet...

Much like the situation in the UK a few years ago - the VCRA was passed into law in 2006, but the sections dealing with airsoft weren't enacted for nearly 12 months until the end of 2007...

As to when it may come into force - who knows? The government have too much else to deal with to bother with licensing people to sell "toy" guns - I suspect this one will linger in limbo for quite a long time yet...

Advertisement