Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade question

Options
  • 19-02-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Have a 24" Imac nearly 4 years old running well, bootcamp 1.2 beta, OSX 10.5.8 and partitioned to dualboot into XP-Pro
    Is it easy to upgrade to window7, have everything I need from the XP partition saved using windows easy transfer
    Thanks for reading this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Anybody help here please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think you need Snow Leopard and the latest version of Bootcamp to install Windows 7. You would probably be able to do it anyway, but I'm not sure how it would work.

Thanks for ur help, looks like I may have to take a longer route & install Leopard first, wouldnt mind if Snow Leopard worked but a quick check around leads me to believe that its an upgrade for Leopard, more research to be done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

10.5 is Leopard, you already have it. Lots of people installed Windows 7 on it before 10.6 came out and it seemed to work okay. I think if you just tell Bootcamp it's Vista it will work, but I haven't done myself so I'm not too sure.

Snow Leopard is only €29 so it's a cheap enough upgrade when you get around to it.

Appreciate ur help, got the Snow Leopard disk in Compub this mng, upgrade was seamless, downloading a combined software at the mom, abt 1.2gb, had 64.3gb free space on the old system, 76gb free now, no doubt the combined update will use up some, again appreciate ur help, may upgrade upwards from 2gb ram next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

bogman wrote: »
    may upgrade upwards from 2gb ram next

I upgraded two of my Macs from 2GB to 4GB recently. Best investment ever. Keep an eye on your memory usage in Activity Monitor, in particular the Pageouts and Swap used fields. If they're above zero, then you'll probably benefit from an upgrade.

- barry

Ill keep ur comments re 4gb ram in mind Barry, CompuB were saying exactly just that today

What a day, learning as I go along, update went fine but after that it was a disaster, didnt use the correct method to update to windows7 as installed from the XP partition, spent a few hours trying to solve why it wouldnt install completely, failed right at the end, ended up installing Snow Leopard again as couldnt boot into it, booting and holding the X key only gave option for Windows7 and that was corrupt, downloading the cumulative update again (is this available as a file I can save somewhere?)
    Will use bootcamp to sort out the partition next and install Windows os from there

Repartitioned drive so that it had just one partition, installed Snow Lepoard and applied cumulative update, updated everything including graphics
    Ran bootcamp assistant to find it was not possible to save the windows support software to CD or external storage device, searched the net & found that this is a known problem with Boot Camp assistant 3.0.4 (3.0.2 is ok)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2710630&tstart=0

Took advice given which stated
    Instead of selecting the option to download the file for "your Max" when running Boot Camp Assistant select the option that says you already downloaded it. Then just complete the Windows OS like normal. After the Windows install finishes just insert your Mac OS X Disc 1 to install it's version of Boot Camp drivers, reboot and then run the Apple Update to get version 3.2.

Repartitioned the drive and installing Windows 7 as I type this, wont be happy until I see it working, its been a long haul but ive learnt a lot in the meantime

Advertisement