Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked By Mains Voltage! Should I Worry?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Well To cut a long story short I ended up putting my finger were it shouldn't have been and I got shocked by the mains supply. After The initial shock, No symptoms are apparent, But I'm wondering.... Should I worry? Apart from Instant death, (which obviously hasn't happened), Is there any side effects of being shocked by mains electricity? :confused: Oh and by the way ...I'm not seeking medical advice, I'm simply wondering about effects of being shocked by the mains!

Comments

I imagine you'd be fine. I once got a nasty shock from the charge inside a camera flash. I felt a bit strange for a few hours afterwards but was fine once it passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

This doesn't help you at all - but it was the current that you felt, not the voltage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

if you got a good it you would have burns, if not chances are you will be ok but as mentioned above remember the old addage

the voltage will jolt ya, the current will kill ya

on those cherry words I wish you a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny Whelan

Mr. Bean. wrote: »
    Well To cut a long story short I ended up putting my finger were it shouldn't have been and I got shocked by the mains supply. After The initial shock, No symptoms are apparent, But I'm wondering.... Should I worry? Apart from Instant death, (which obviously hasn't happened), Is there any side effects of being shocked by mains electricity? :confused: Oh and by the way ...I'm not seeking medical advice, I'm simply wondering about effects of being shocked by the mains!

I worked on a building site before and this young fellow from Laois nearly killed himself. He was using a concrete breaker and he hit an underground mains cable. Anyway, his hi vis vest caught fire and his eyebrows and eyelashes were all but gone. He was thrown about 6 feet clear. Amazingly he walked to the ambulance. A couple of hours later he was back to collect his stuff. I said he should get himself a drink to calm his nerves but he said the Doctor told him not to drink alcohol because he was severely dehydrated as a result of the electricity going through him. You should have seen his face when I suggested it would be okay for him to drink Aftershock! A true story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You should be fine, I gave myself a right jolt configuring a motherboard wrong years ago.

Any concerns contact your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I'd imagine you'll be ok.

I got a right bang off the mains a few years back, it jolted my arm back right over my head.

After the initial soreness had worn off, I was left with tingly fingers (which had been the point of contact) for a few hours afterwards and a bit of a panicky feeling, which I assume was just minor "shock" (mental, not electrical ;)) after the fright I got. Thought I was a goner when it happened, was really surprised and relieved to find myself still alive after I calmed down and counted my fingers to make sure they were all still there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Unless you're posting from beyond the grave you don't need to worry.Don't stick your finger in there again.
    I've been shocked by:

Bare wire on electricains drill when young,
    Experimenting with sticking pencil into electric fire (graphite conducts).
    Forgetting experiment still plugged in (college).
    etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

where did you stick your finger/ironically your name is mr.bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I once did the same thing. Stupidly the back of the plug was missing and I pushed the pins in with my fingers whilst plugging it into the wall. :rolleyes: The shock threw me across the room! :eek:

I had a residual pain in my arms and across my chest but other than feeling a bit freaked I was fine. Very lucky!

I wouldnt worry. I'm a skinny little woman and still fine years later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

A shocking experiance but your still in the land of the living so i guess you'll be fine:eek::eek::eek:Reckonnn soooo anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr. Bean.

where did you stick your finger/ironically your name is mr.bean.

haha well it's not Mr. Bean. related! I was rooting with a power supply of a computer and had it dismantled (and very foolishly plugged in at the same time!). I was converting it into a benchtop supply. As I went to lift it to the table my finger touched the end of an exposed fuse, then zap! I wouldn't mind but It was probably because I was taking extra care not to touch those capacitors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

see your doctor if you've any concerns

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement