Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Tube won't play in Safari

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

About two days ago for no reason I can figure, Safari just refused to play you tube videos. It just comes up with a blank black box where the video normally is. But Firefox will play you tube just fine. Any suggestions as to what I could have done unbeknown to myself ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try repairing permissions in Disk Utiility. And try reinstalling Flash.

Have you installed any Safari add-ons/extensions recently? Any adblockers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WestMayo

Thanks for the reply, I repaired the permissions using disk utility and deleted then reloaded the latest flash player but still no dice. I don't think I've messed around with any extensions or add ons in the past few days I can remember

Update
    Seems other people were having the same issue, http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/229840-safari-youtube-issues.html

Switching Safari to 32 bit mode seems to have worked and done the trick, will i notice any other problems because of this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Go Safari -> Preferences -> Security
    and make sure that "Plugins" is enabled.

(I run ClickToFlash in order to block Flash movies except when I specifically want them.
    http://clicktoflash.com )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

That's really odd, because the same has happened to me just two days ago and still havent fixed it. Youtube videos embedded elsewhere like on Facebook work fine, but not on the Youtube website.

Edit: I don't know it it's Macs in general, or just my Mac, but it really can't handle anything Flash related. Chrome has become unusable for me because it constantly crashes when using Flash sites, which then causes other issues like being unable to shut down the Mac. Safari handles Flash a bit better, but still not great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

For the record, I have no problems with "Flash" except that, on my ancient G4 tower most Flash movies are extremely jerky. But that's simply because Flash demands too much of the poor old CPU.

• Advertisement

Tried re-installing Flash, and repairing permissions but still doesn't work in Safari or Firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Happened to me too. Embeded videos work though.

if you go to youtube.com/html5 you can start using html5 instead of flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheFat

I had same problem. Try this -
    Go to applications folder and select Safari and Get Info, tick open in 32-bit mode and restart safari. Should work now.

Any drawbacks in using Safari in 32-bit mode?

Advertisement