Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus engine swap

Options
  • 18-02-2011 10:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of info not sure if I'm in the right place, I've a Ford Focus 02 TDCI with a knackered engine cant seem to find a replacement I've been told they're as rare as hens teeth.

Anyway I managed to find a TDDI engine and I'm just trying to find out if this engine would go in as a replacement or would I need to get the wiring loom and Ecu from the TDDI car.

I'm as green as grass with anything to do with motors:confused: have someone lined up for that part just trying to find out some info.

any help would be great, If this is in the wrong place let me know and I'll hit the road.:D

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It should go in handy enough, Do you know if yours is common rail injection or the older system? Yours is a 1.8 diesel, I think thats all is available. The engine itself should go in handy enough but you might need to swap the pump, injectors etc back over.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Mines a tdci so i think that common rail injection as opposed to the tddi direct injection. Just not sure if the ecu is set up differently for each engine. Don't wanna buy a tddi if its only gonna end up an expensive paper weight :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Mines a tdci so i think that common rail injection as opposed to the tddi direct injection. Just not sure if the ecu is set up differently for each engine. Don't wanna buy a tddi if its only gonna end up an expensive paper weight :D
    You won't need to change the ECU. Post up a picture of your engine and ill tell you if its common rail or not. Ford had the older system as well as the newer common rail, the change over was 02 so you still might have the older injection system.

unfortunately cant post a picture as I had a lad take it apart to see if the head could be skimmed. tried to get in touch with him to find out what kinda engine it was and the same question as i posted would a tddi fit think he was in over his head haven't heard from him since, under skilled mechanics probably a dime a dozen now that's one thing the celtic tiger threw out in abundance was supposedly qualified tradesmen. thanks for the offer though might have a rot for the maintenance book for the car might have something in it about the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Plug wrote: »
    You won't need to change the ECU. Post up a picture of your engine and ill tell you if its common rail or not. Ford had the older system as well as the newer common rail, the change over was 02 so you still might have the older injection system.

I know that the 1.8 TDCi has at least three different ECUs. One from 01-02, another from 02-04, and another from 04 on. There is no way the TDDi has the same ECU as a TDCi, and I would suspect there will be a lot of issues in trying to fit one.

There are bags of TDCis in the UK, and it wouldnt cost much to get it home. Make sure you get one with the sam engine code if you hope to transfer the ancilliaries without running into problems. The other option is to get your own reconditioned.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    I know that the 1.8 TDCi has at least three different ECUs. One from 01-02, another from 02-04, and another from 04 on. There is no way the TDDi has the same ECU as a TDCi, and I would suspect there will be a lot of issues in trying to fit one.

There are bags of TDCis in the UK, and it wouldnt cost much to get it home. Make sure you get one with the sam engine code if you hope to transfer the ancilliaries without running into problems. The other option is to get your own reconditioned.
    I read the first post wrong, only dawned on me there. TDDI vs TCDI:o
    Yeah I know what your saying. Even if he gets a the TCDI engine but swaps over the injectors and pump etc. I wonder will the pump pulley be the same though? Your right I know the ECU's are completely different.

Thanks Maidhc its an 02 focus, had an idea it might not be straight forward. reconditioning isn't an option had the head skimmed but it had gone to far and was ony good for scrap so I was told anyway after paying for it. might consider goin accross the water any good sites i might find an engine on. thought i might grab a bargin with this tddi engine its on €300:D out of a written off focus same year where IVI quoted me €1600 + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Thanks Maidhc its an 02 focus, had an idea it might not be straight forward. reconditioning isn't an option had the head skimmed but it had gone to far and was ony good for scrap so I was told anyway after paying for it. might consider goin accross the water any good sites i might find an engine on. thought i might grab a bargin with this tddi engine its on €300:D out of a written off focus same year where IVI quoted me €1600 + VAT.

What happened the engine? I have the same car.

Here is a 06 one from a MkII
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/06-Ford-Focus-engine-1-8-TDCi-Duratorq-/220729373593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33647ef399

It has a Siemens ECU as opposed to a Delphi in the Mk1. It may be a solution though, but these things are impossible to call. (i.e. the Turbo in the BMW x5 3L Diesel is not the same as the turbo in the 530d even though the engine is identical for all intents and purposes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Is it only a cylinder head you need? Surely they can be picked up easier than a complete engine?

• Advertisement

digging up an old thread here but t's takin this long to find an engine,I've found a 2004 tdci engine now its just a mater of finding out if it'll fit my 2002 tdci. any info would be more than helpful as i've to decide on wheter or not to take this engine asap

thanks

Advertisement