Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SALMON FLY ROD

Options
  • 18-02-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi,
    Have just purchased 14' Double handed salmon rod and reel, loaded with wf8 f line, anyone know if i am setting up rod correctly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

It should say on the rod?
    You should also look at putting a spey line on it.....
    Hi,
    Have just purchased 14' Double handed salmon rod and reel, loaded with wf8 f line, anyone know if i am setting up rod correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

thanks for reply,
    doesn,t say on rod, just line rating 9/10, is casting same with wf and spey??

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

thanks for reply,
    doesn,t say on rod, just line rating 9/10, is casting same with wf and spey??

The line rating of 9/10 means you should be putting a 9/10 line on it - an 8 weight line will be too light to load the rod.

yeah, typo put wf ppt 10 floating line on it, can a wf line be used for spey casting??

do i need sinking tippet?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

yeah, typo put wf ppt 10 floating line on it, can a wf line be used for spey casting??

do i need sinking tippet?? thanks

Hi coolhandspan

don't know anything about doublehanded rods or lines specifically

steve

• Advertisement

ah thanks for reply guy,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you put a WF line on it enhances distance but reduces line control by mending. That is a big limitation in pools where there is a spine of fast flow down the middle. Since the backing line is lightweight and can not lift and move the main belly of line to "mend" when the fast stream drags a belly down and over-speeds up the fly's passage through the water.

If you out a DT line on it enhances line mending, and you can cast across faster water, but by mending the resulting belly out of the line, still fish effectively.

If it says # 9/10, then for preference use a #10 for WF, and #9 for DT.

With a 14' rod it is designed mainly for DT lines, but the WF you already have will work fine for most circumstances.

thks, do i need sinking tippet, or just geased mono???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Mono soaks up a bit of water and works well, and it is more robust and hard wearing than fluoro. Dark colours are better. You want it just under the surface, not on it.

Fluoro is heavier and sinks better, but knot strength is always a concern from hinging caused by repetitive casting, so if you use it go up 2 sizes above the equivalent in mono.

Sometimes I grease a collar or heavy mono at the end of the flyline, and the leader is degreased and tied to this.
    I always carry degreaser for this purpose.

Advertisement