Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook pro

Options
  • 18-02-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    My girlfriend has a macbook pro about 4years old. The hard drive seems to be running on start up but the screen is black.

Has anyone any suggestions? or experienced this before?

Or can anyone suggest a good place to get in fixed in clare/limerick/galway area?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Are you getting any sound? does it sound like its booting to the operating system?
    Is it possible to maybe try plugging a monitor into to rule in/out a display issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I've no monitor, but ill get one on sunday. the start up sound is happening.

If you hear the sound of it starting up and it sounds like the hard drive is running and your getting a black screen then it sounds like a faulty display,
    testing it on sunday will give you a better answer.

As for getting it repaired, speak to Apple, If its less than a year its within warranty if not its chargeable, but also check out some pc repair guys too if its outside its warranty, I'm from Dublin so I can't help you with recommendations.

Best of luck with it though I hope you get it sorted, if the monitor test doesn't work then it could also be a faulty graphics card, in which case its a new motherboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I had a problem like that a couple of years ago and left it into pc world. they took out one of the 1gb ram saying it was faulty and the screen worked again. I couldn't understand myself how the ram would stop the screen from working.

Skyuser wrote: »
    I had a problem like that a couple of years ago and left it into pc world. they took out one of the 1gb ram saying it was faulty and the screen worked again. I couldn't understand myself how the ram would stop the screen from working.

A faulty stick of ram can stop the machine from posting, taking out the faulty ram allows the machine to pass the post and boot up.

As the machine has the beep it means that its passed the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Try the old pram reset trick - Turn on the computer. Hold down Command, Option, P, and R... simultaneously.

Thought this was an old-skool mac thing, but it cured a G4 issue for me.

Tried it, didmt work. thanks for your help. popping to likerick today. compb store fixes macs. fingers crossed.

I have it brought to the mac shop in lim. Guy said it more than likely was a graphics card problem that apple cover even if its out of warranty. Will know more monday when hi runs a diagnostic.
    thanks for all your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 gsnapp

Try Compu B beside brown Tomas ive gone there about 6 times now and they have always fixed my apple products free of charge if they are in warrenty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I have it brought to the mac shop in lim. Guy said it more than likely was a graphics card problem that apple cover even if its out of warranty. Will know more monday when hi runs a diagnostic.
    thanks for all your help.

I really hope it is the NVIDIA known issue dude! I had the exact same problem last year and Mactivate in Dublin sorted it for me free of charge. Here's the thread where the issue was discussed

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,
    I contacted Compub in limerick today. It was the NVIDIA issue and is covered by the extended warranty. Thanks for all your help. and i cannot recommend Compub enough.
    Im just relieved its not costing an arm and a leg.(actually costing nothing):D

Advertisement