Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Radiohead album realeased (day early)

Options
  • 18-02-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Radiohead-The-King-Of-Limbs-Gear-Patrol.jpg

1.. “Bloom”
    2. “Morning Mr. Magpie”
    3. “Little By Little”
    4. “Feral”
    5. “Lotus Flower”
    6. “Codex”
    7. “Give up the Ghost”
    8. “Separator”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Simply a stunning album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

zimovain wrote: »
    Simply a stunning album.

what would be the best track ?

is it better then kid a ?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

First impressions, I don't like it.

Having said that, I felt similar about In Rainbows at first but some of the songs have really grown on me, especially Weird Fishes. Will listen a few more times before making my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Only 8 tracks?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm certainly sold just listening to that track 'Bloom' in the first post, excellent stuff, look forward to getting this alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why do I keep singing Videotape in my head to Giving up the Ghost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

60 seconds in, nothing new - laptop music.

In Rainbows may have been their watershed, I fear.

I would hate to write them off so casually, yet I have a horrible feeling they may "jump the shark".

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Radiohead is too clever.

Aren't they... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Radiohead, for the past few albums havent been my cup of tee.
    I've kist listened to "Bloom" - thanks OP.

Again, it doesnt look like this album will be my cup of tea either.

Radiohead - trying to be "different" for too long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Yeah, but to dismiss them as "laptop music" is a federal offence.

I should be shot in the face by firing squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

60 seconds in, nothing new

60 seconds is all it takes to write off the rest of the album? That's like the predictive text version of an album review...

That's kind of like saying I was downloading it and I decided it was going to be rubbish so I didn't listen to it.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Radiohead - trying to be "different" for too long now.

I think this is just such a wanky argument. I think it's quite clear to anyone who listens to the music that each album has grown organically and been extensions of the music they make and listen to. This album if anything, is less different than previous outings if you've ever listened to the likes of Burial or Flying Lotus.

Kold wrote: »
    I think this is just such a wanky argument. I think it's quite clear to anyone who listens to the music that each album has grown organically and been extensions of the music they make and listen to. This album if anything, is less different than previous outings if you've ever listened to the likes of Burial or Flying Lotus.

Thats the argument I hear form the die hard Radiohead fans I know. I dont know anyone but a Radiohead fan who uses the words "organically" and "extensions" when describing an album......

To be fair, its not my cup of tea, there are plenty out there who enjoy it and I can understand that everyone has different tastes etc.

Thats the argument I hear form the die hard Radiohead fans I know. I dont know anyone but a Radiohead fan who uses the words "organically" and "extensions" when describing an album......

To be fair, its not my cup of tea, there are plenty out there who enjoy it and I can understand that everyone has different tastes etc.

Well as an art student I have to be able to articulate, it's not so much a Radiohead thing. But Radiohead treat music as art and this is what a lot of people find issue with I think.

edit:this sounds wanky but it's not meant to. I honestly just can't get my head around criticism for not falling in line which is how I interpreted that statement.

Kold wrote: »
    Well as an art student I have to be able to articulate, it's not so much a Radiohead thing. But Radiohead treat music as art and this is what a lot of people find issue with I think.

Thats fair enough - didn't realise that.

Nope, the issue I have, outside of not particularly liking the end result, is that people like to think that Radiohead music is more "arty" than other artists music simply because it is "different".
    It's all "art" at the end of the day.

I appreicate your standpoint on it however.

Even Beady Eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nope, the issue I have, outside of not particularly liking the end result, is that people like to think that Radiohead music is more "arty" than other artists music simply because it is "different".

I reckon Radiohead do try a bit harder than most, which leads them to being different. Which is a good thing. Not enough bands try to get a bit of a different sound. I'm not saying Radiohead have invented new sounds or forms or anything, they're best achievement I reckon is bringing together a lot of different influences and making a convincing end product. Anyone can listen to Neu!, CAN, Autechre, Burial, Four Tet, Television, Penderecki and Messiaen and stick a load of different parts together, but Radiohead can do that and write great songs at the same time.

Even if someone doesn't really like the end products that Radiohead come out with, I'd like to think there's a bit of solid evidence to say they can write songs very well.

Very true. But it isn't even that different as I stated. Cosmogramma was one of the most acclaimed albums of last year, Untrue in the last couple of years, Four Tet, even further, Autechre and Aphex preceded them.

First and foremost, I love their music. Absolutely love it. In fact 4 of their albums would be in my top 10. But something admirable is their integrity, their ideals, not only on green and political issues but in regards to their music. There is a huge amount of expectation with every release and yet I doubt they're wondering how the general public will react to this. I doubt they're strapped for cash. Seeing whatever footage has been available you can see they just seem to be like "that sounds great but it needs some of this."

So anyway, yeah I'm a fan. But I've been avoiding discussion with other fanboys because I'm still getting to grips with the album, pretty busy lately. I've just seen a lot of people dropping in because of the hype and giving the same criticism that can be predicted in any Radiohead thread (not talking about you here now), I just don't understand criticising something for being different. You don't have to like everything but I fear the dislike for Radiohead is often just in response to so many people liking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

they're playing the album on phantom now if anyone is interested http://www.phantom.ie/radioplayer/index.php#

It's weird. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nelly100

is it free download or pay chosen price like last album?

Nelly100 wrote: »
    is it free download or pay chosen price like last album?

No, it has a price. Only £6 though which I think probably is a lot less than iTunes sell music for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

'Codex' is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Quite disappointed after my first listen.

Was so excited for this but just couldn't get in to it. Only stand out tracks for me were Lotus Flower and Little by Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭leakyboots

maximoose wrote: »
    Quite disappointed after my first listen.

Was so excited for this but just couldn't get in to it. Only stand out tracks for me were Lotus Flower and Little by Little.

Little By Little is my favourite thus far. The last few songs to close out the album are wonderful.

Give a couple of listens maximoose, it's a grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Radiohead have been crap since OK Computer apart from a few choice cuts. I wish they had the balls to bring out a few rock tunes again instead of this lame techno-laptop-indie crap.

Radiohead have been crap since OK Computer apart from a few choice cuts. I wish they had the balls to bring out a few rock tunes again instead of this lame techno-laptop-indie crap.

Yeah, maybe they should regurgitate the same plodding, lumpen drivel like that was the staple of that band… what was their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yeah, maybe they should regurgitate the same plodding, lumpen drivel like that was the staple of that band… what was their name?

I think he may be onto something. I mean releasing techno indie crap is what Radiohead have done for the past 11 years. Its really easy to just come up with a few sound effects and loops, whine over it with cryptic lyrics and say its genius as opposed to writing a really good and memorable melody. Besides other bands/artists have been producing this type of music for years, its hardly innovative. On the other hand I acknowledge that 99.9% of other bands are even less innovative but that wouldn't lead me to champion Radiohead as being groundbreaking anymore, they were for a time but now they're just stagnant. Essentially what I see is a lot shouting down of dissenting opinions/group think atm with respect to Radioheads "Opus Magnus" and this is coming from a former Radiohead nut.

Additionally I hate what Yorke has done with his voice over the years, I really much more prefered the crystal clear operatic tones he adopted prior to Kid A. Similar thing to Beck actually, Beck just sings like a booze addled old man whereas his vocals were better imo back in the Odelay era.

I think he may be onto something. I mean releasing techno indie crap is what Radiohead have done for the past 11 years. Its really easy to just come up with a few sound effects and loops, whine over it with cryptic lyrics and say its genius as opposed to writing a really good and memorable melody. Besides other bands/artists have been producing this type of music for years, its hardly innovative. On the other hand I acknowledge that 99.9% of other bands are even less innovative but that wouldn't lead me to champion Radiohead as being groundbreaking anymore, they were for a time but now they're just stagnant. Essentially what I see is a lot shouting down of dissenting opinions/group think atm with respect to Radioheads "Opus Magnus" and this is coming from a former Radiohead nut.

Additionally I hate what Yorke has done with his voice over the years, I really much more prefered the crystal clear operatic tones he adopted prior to Kid A. Similar thing to Beck actually, Beck just sings like a booze addled old man whereas his vocals were better imo back in the Odelay era.

I'm not a fanboy of Radiohead but I am enjoying the new album. I think over the years what I've been listening to and enjoying has started moving closer to what Radiohead are producing. A listen through a lot of bands working in alternative or experimental music will let you know that it isn't 'really easy to just come up with a few sound effects and loops, whine over it with cryptic lyrics and say its genius' in fact it's bloody hard to get these elements to work in a cohesive fashion. They might not be making the same type of seismic leap as they did with Kid A (which I never gave any real attention to if I'm honest but will be rectifying that now) but they are still moving forward keeping themselves fresh and interesting taking cues from what's happening in the more esoteric end of the dubstep scene. I never thought I'd say this but I hope Radiohead continue to follow their muse wherever it takes them because it's always going to produce something interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

cant even hear what that ****er yorke is saying anymore in their songs hes become a right ****. i liked kid a, in rainbows,the bends and ok computer but this album is ****ed up.
    its like that episode of south park when they love themselves that much they sniff their own farts thats what radiohead have become.

south-park-smug-313.gif

live forever

ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm not a fanboy of Radiohead but I am enjoying the new album. I think over the years what I've been listening to and enjoying has started moving closer to what Radiohead are producing. A listen through a lot of bands working in alternative or experimental music will let you know that it isn't 'really easy to just come up with a few sound effects and loops, whine over it with cryptic lyrics and say its genius' in fact it's bloody hard to get these elements to work in a cohesive fashion. They might not be making the same type of seismic leap as they did with Kid A (which I never gave any real attention to if I'm honest but will be rectifying that now) but they are still moving forward keeping themselves fresh and interesting taking cues from what's happening in the more esoteric end of the dubstep scene. I never thought I'd say this but I hope Radiohead continue to follow their muse wherever it takes them because it's always going to produce something interesting.

meh it might take patience and some good judgment to make those elements work but I find that writing a truly inspirational melody/song is very difficult and elusive and transcends mere practical technique. I guess having listened to the tracks off the new album that I'm not particularly moved by them, they don't have the same conscious shifting effect of their earlier work, as in wow I'm listening to some of the best songs in the past century, this is incredible music. All I hear is rehashed dubstep/trip hop/bjorkean electronica with Yorkes trademark eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh vocal noises.

• Advertisement

meh it might take patience and some good judgment to make those elements work but I find that writing a truly inspirational melody/song is very difficult and elusive and transcends mere practical technique.

I'd argue that getting those elements to work is 'very difficult and elusive and transcends mere practical technique' You could listen to a thousand dance producers using the same elements and only a couple will be able to make music that is transcendent. But if you don't listen to dance music you'll probably think it's all a bunch of balls. C'est la vie…
    I guess having listened to the tracks off the new album that I'm not particularly moved by them, they don't have the same conscious shifting effect of their earlier work, as in wow I'm listening to some of the best songs in the past century, this is incredible music.

Tbh, it was that kind of hero worship that really put me off Radiohead. I loved the Bends and OK Computer was an outstanding album but the overearnest musos that weree so precious about the band when Kid A came out put me off them for a bit.
    All I hear is rehashed dubstep/trip hop/bjorkean electronica with Yorkes trademark eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh vocal noises.

Well if that's all you hear in it you're never going to enjoy methinks. They seem to be genuinely interested in exploring music and trying to put it into different contexts and I reckon fair balls to them.

Advertisement