Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MITM Attacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Looks interesting, I will take a read through it.

I have noticed that if I do arp poisoning on my WLAN, the specific target will have very poor network performance, or if targeting the whole network, then the whole network suffers.

Is this a known thing? Is a huge degradation of network performance associated with arp poisoning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It is possible to acheive a DOS through arp-poisoning - I've seen it happen on a few occasions. Most methods involve repeated heavy ARP requests and responses which will require abnormal processing and bandwidth. I can see why it would impact the network performance, although I haven't bench-tested it.

Alternatively, if you are not forwarding packets in the attacker's machine, you will instantly cause a DOS as the packets from the target machine will not be routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Yes, I too have seen this happen so it must be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Yeah its enough to bring the network down! from broadband to 56k!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Ok, ARP poisoning attacks/MITM will obv cause network lag, cos all the traffic is now going through YOU on its way to the switch. And if you are not passing the packets, or are poisoning to a non routable address, DoS.

I accidentally hosed a large network segment this way when tring to snarf a SSH login for a router (I wanted to port forward!), but thankfully all was fixed once I flushed the cache...

• Advertisement
Advertisement