Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to claim medical bills in Tax

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I had severe health stomach problems last July 2010, and been to my home country for my medical tests and course ......I had all my medical bills from my home country ...

Before going to my country i consulted G.P in here, and advised me to make some tests ...which are very expensive in here ....that's the reason i had to go ...

Please can anyone let me know, how can i claim my medical bills (from my home country), in my TAX .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The procedure would involve getting a Medical Form from Revenue and filling it it, then returning it to your local Revenue office. You must have receipts for your treatment (it doesn't say if they accept receipts from outside the jurisdiction but I can only imagine they must)

Here's the form: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section15

Be aware relief is only awarded at the standard rate so the most you'll be claiming back is 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

As far as I know the expenses for treatment abroad will be allowed only if you can show that the treatment was not available here. You say it was because of the cost, which would indicate it was available here but was dearer. In that case I don't think the expenses will qualify for tax relief.

If it is allowed you will need your Form P60 and Income levy certificate which you will have received from your employer after the end of the tax year. If you were not working and had been let go during the year your P45 will be needed.

Advertisement