Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac hard drive upgrade

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have an iMac, cant remember which gen though. Its either the first or second gen of the silver version of the iMac.

Anyway, processer and RAM wise, it still does the job (Ive maxed RAM etc) so forking out for a new Mac is pointless.

But it only has a 160gb HD. Is there are easy way to upgrade the HD without getting a new iMac.

Or as a plan B, is there a clever way to attached an external HD (non back up) so that photots and videos etc in the the native photos and videos folders on the iMac can link to the external HD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

faceman wrote: »
    But it only has a 160gb HD. Is there are easy way to upgrade the HD without getting a new iMac.

The hard disk can be upgraded, how easy/hard this is depends on which one you have. You'll need to google for the relevant model to find a guide for doing it.
    Or as a plan B, is there a clever way to attached an external HD (non back up) so that photots and videos etc in the the native photos and videos folders on the iMac can link to the external HD?

Attaching an external disk is easy - you can either do it via firewire or usb port, assuming your iMac has one free. You'll probably get better performance via fireware, but typically external firewire drives are more expensive.

Be careful, if your iMac has USB 1.1 ports and not USB 2.0. If you have 1.1, then look for a firewire drive, as 1.1 is very slow. If you have 2.0, then the differences with firewire are less, so you could use either.

- barry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faceman, does your iMac have an aluminium front and a black back? If so, the following guide should do the trick, but confirm that it's the right Mac first.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iMac-Intel-20-Inch-EMC-2133-and-2210-Hard-Drive-Replacement/1008/1

It's easy enough on this model iMac. You need the take the screen off, but it's not as hard as it looks. Just make sure you have the right screwdrivers.
    Well, you could just create an alias. Is there a particular reason that you want to do this? I keep all my videos on an external hd. I don't even use the movie folder in my home directory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks folks. Yeah its the aluminium front and black back.

Sad Professor, is there an irish/uk store i can get the suction pads and hard drive in that you would recommend? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sad Professor, is there an irish/uk store i can get the suction pads and hard drive in that you would recommend? :)
    Try Komplett for the hard drive.

As for the suction cups, I'm not sure where you would get proper ones. You might find something in a hardware shop that would be suitable. Or you could just use a, um, toilet plunger. It works really well... I heard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Toilet plunger it is so! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I can vouch for the plunger - just be sure to clean it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

Toilet plunger it is so! :p

In a video tutorial from tested.com, a guy used a removable handle for the shower/bath for the elderly (i've seen them in Aldi/Lidl).

It's perfect.. made for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I had to replace the drive in an iMac recently. Was sitting looking out the window trying to figure out where I could get the suction thing when I noticed this on the window sill :) Worked perfectly !!!

Be very careful lifting the LCD up by the way, there are 3 cables connecting it to the logic board and the graphics card and one is a little tricky to get at. A second pair of hands to hold the screen clear while you remove the drive is highly recommended !!

Also don't forget to reconnect the iSight Camera and refit the temperature sensor on the new had disk. All in all it's a 30 minute job from start to finish if you have the right screwdrivers and be methodical about it. Use a sheet of paper with a rough drawing of the iMac and the location of the screws and place the screws on the paper according to their original location. There are 3 different sized screws and it's important not to mix them up.

It's also a great opportunity to clean the inside of the glass front which gets a bit dusty or "smokey" after a while.

Good luck !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Love the video! Normally these instruction videos are so perfectly choreographed ( the 'sh@t' when he drops the bezel is a classic ).

Advertisement