Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had to chose 1 of the big 4 ? whos your pick and why

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭

so the big 4 bands in england during the 60s and early 70s were the beatles, rolling stones, the who and the kinks. me and the boys in college were debating this all morning.

who do you rather and why ?

mine would be the who as im a mod at heart and love there quadrophenia album and film. there an amazing band love daltry and there still class live as you could see at the superbowl last year. also keith moon was the best drummer of all time

who would you rather listen to ? 63 votes

the beatles
    0% 0 votes
    the rolling stones
    66% 42 votes
    the who
    20% 13 votes
    the kinks
    12% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Slayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

For me the Beatles are the greatest band of all time. Seven years of brillance throughout. I would have loved to have heard their progression at time upon new album releases. Wonderful wonderful music.

The Stones for me got going while the Beatles were disbanding. They were a great singles back up until they released 'Beggers' after it they took off on a great three or four year period.

The Who are the greatest live band of all time. Around the time of Tommy they really took off. Great band , great albums second to the Beatles for me.

the Kinks on the other hand I would class as a great Singles band. I wouldn't have any of albums in the same league as the classics that the three above produced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

What about Led Zeppelin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

EGriff wrote: »
    What about Led Zeppelin?

i know i love the led zeppelin but these 4 bands were called the big 4 because they broke america first thats why i didnt put zeppelin in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The Beatles.
    The Who.
    The Rolling Stones.
    The Kinks.

The Kinks are the only ones that I wouldn't listen to regularly, tbh. I love The Beatles and like The Who and The Rolling Stones, puts Rihanna, Lady Gaga etc. to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

None of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

ricero wrote: »
    i know i love the led zeppelin but these 4 bands were called the big 4 because they broke america first thats why i didnt put zeppelin in

The Kinks didn't break America, well not in the same way they other three did. They were banned from touring in 65 which knocked the wind of their sails, leading to them producing their most Anglo-centric work and didn't score another significant hit there until Lola was released at the beginning of the seventies by which time Led Zep were already in the ascendent. Led Zep were the biggest band of the seventies and deserve to be part of an English Big Four more than the Kinks do.

But for me its the Beatles, their spirit of experimentation and willingness to expand the parameters of what it meant to be a pop band was an amazing thing to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Hate how the Kinks get overlooked / dismissed so often. They released an abundance of wonderful singles before going to create some of the best albums of all-time, the likes of Arthur, Lola and Village Green Preservation Society. Definitely deserve to supplant Led Zep, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We have studied the first 3 bands on that list in college and I've got to say, The Who does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

The Beach Boys :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The Beatles but The Who come in close second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Rolling Stones 1969–74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

has to be the beatles.

stones were not as good but still a great band.

saw the who live once before and they were epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

In my 20's I'd have said the Beatles for sure and I still think they're probably the most inventive and talented of the lot. But in saying that there's a fair amount of ****e on the albums as well:P

But I have seriously got into the stones over the past few years and just love their late 60's early 70's stuff. Its just so good...and as a learner guitar player I find what Keith Richards did with open tuning mindblowing and totally inspiring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Well nobody had a big an impact as The Beatles, did they? From my relatively limited knowledge of them, they changed the game...
    baz2009 wrote: »
    ... puts Rihanna, Lady Gaga etc. to shame.

Yeah, that's a fair comparison to make :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a fair comparison to make :rolleyes:

It is to be honest, they were the pop music of their day, much like bubblegum pop and eh, ****, is the pop of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

i would have always thought englands 5 big bands would have been the beatles, the rolling stones, the who, led zeppelin and pink floyd. the kinks were just as influential as the others but never as big. my personal favourite though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

It is to be honest, they were the pop music of their day, much like bubblegum pop and eh, ****, is the pop of today.

Yeah but how different is the context of today and back then? Completely, entirely different. Back then making music was a difficult thing to do, the pop acts had to be the best acts. Now, anyone can make an album in a day, the pop acts can be anyone that a big company chooses to market. Pop music back then was whatever the lads could come up with, pop music now is a mishmash of all sorts of styles, mostly electronic. (which is pretty interesting I think. This time last year, rave hoovers were everywhere, now it's dubstep wobbly basses, a few years ago it was pseudo latin stuff and 'RnB'.)

You cannot take a band from fifty years ago and compare them to a current band, there are far too many factors separating them. You can't discuss music without its context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

If a Rolling Stones song was being played on the radio, I'd most likely turn up the volume. A Kinks or Who song, leave the volume where it was. Whereas if it was a Beatles song, I'd turn down the volume or change the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

The Beatles win for me, they set the standard. The progression in their work and the amount of material in such a short period of time was second to none. They sounded great too, whether it was harmonies or individually. The variety of music and the quality was outstanding.

The Stones have an amazing back catalogue. Their best stuff imo finished after Exile on Main St. Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Finger all quality albums. Before that the albums weren't great but the singles were always quality.

Wouldn't be much between The Kinks and The Who, great back catalogues. Something Else by The Kinks is a crackin album. There isn't an outstanding Who album imo. But the raw power of some of The Who's stuff is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Beatles are great, but I find I listen the Kinks and Stones a lot more often.

The Stones from Beggars Banquet through to Exile on Main Street are flawless (and Goats Head Soup & Its only rock and roll are only a notch below)

Similarly the Kinks from Something Else to Muswell Hillbillies barely put a foot wrong over 5 albums - they are ridiculously underrated.

The Who I've never really gotten into though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hate how the Kinks get overlooked / dismissed so often. They released an abundance of wonderful singles before going to create some of the best albums of all-time, the likes of Arthur, Lola and Village Green Preservation Society. Definitely deserve to supplant Led Zep, in my opinion.

Don't forget Waterloo Sunset. Probably the greatest single song of the sixties.

Overall though, the Beatles get my vote, by a country mile. Never thought the Stones were much cop at all, the Who had their moments (though I'd prefer the Kinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

The Beatles for me too. I was into Paul Mccartney and early Wings stuff first, then only got into the Beatles later.

Though lately I've been listening to some of the Rolling Stones (Angie - a favourite of my own and my son's!! He's getting my taste in music too!).

I'm also listening to the Who.

I never heard much from the Kinks but might look out for them now, as some of you reccomend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The Kinks are criminally underrated - fantastic band. Anybody in doubt give "This Time Tomorrow" a listen, and there's plenty of more tracks like that in their discography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Beatles. You only have to listen to the White Album to hear the range of styles they could tackle, sometimes all in the one song (Happiness is a warm gun)!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The Beatles were the greatest band, but i prefer the Stones. Kinks are a great band too. Never liked the Who

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Apologies but your all wrong (almost). Its clearly the Who.

Just reference their show at the Live aid concert a few years ago where they outshone pink floyds reunion.

Their attitude is tops too. After the Live 8 show Townsend apologised for stealing the show. He said in an interview for a program about the concerts "I did'nt set out to steal the show from anyone, I just happened to be playing fuc*ing brilliantly at the time". Legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ahoy hoy

There is no doubting that each of these bands had their own influence, but The Beatles were by far the ones with the biggest influence. This can be seen in the wide range of songs they wrote from Yesterday to Day Tripper to i am the Walrus. The also changed many of the ways that music was recorded. They laid the groundwork for many new bands to come after them.

Advertisement