Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Flash?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

A bit jerky in Chrome on wifi but interesting - what's replacing flash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's being replaced/challenged by HTML5

Smooth as silk and far faster than Flash on Chrome 10.0.648.82 beta and Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4) on Mac OS X 10.6.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

IE 9 has HTML 5 support.

My experience over the years is that IE is head and shoulders over every other browser (with the exception of 6). Chrome is a good second.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Find that statement incredible! IE's has been behind every browser, and only began to render properly in 8. Even with 9 it hasn't implement various CSS properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

IE ahead of the rest:eek: I'm gonna have to make a new cup of coffee and order a replacement keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hows that HTML 5? hows the animation done? is it jquery?
    or video embeded? its not just html anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

BrianD wrote: »
    My experience over the years is that IE is head and shoulders over every other browser (with the exception of 6). Chrome is a good second.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

My view after using various browsers since '96. I've generally had all browsers on my desktop and IE has always been my preference. Tried to embrace Firefox but a dreadful piece of software. I do like Chrome though.

As to the end of Flash, given it's omni-presence I suspect it will be around for a while. Steve Jobs won't be responsible for its demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My view after using various browsers since '96. I've generally had all browsers on my desktop and IE has always been my preference. Tried to embrace Firefox but a dreadful piece of software. I do like Chrome though.

As to the end of Flash, given it's omni-presence I suspect it will be around for a while. Steve Jobs won't be responsible for its demise.

Ya nearly had us!

IE+6+troll+%28internet+explorer,+browser,+trollface%29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

All the best plugin's and addons for web development are available for firefox
    from Firebug to pixelperfect. [check it out if you guys havent heard of it, pretty fun and useful] http://www.pixelperfectplugin.com/

• Advertisement

My view after using various browsers since '96. I've generally had all browsers on my desktop and IE has always been my preference.

Whether you like it or not, or whether you realise it or not, IE has severely damaged your Web browing experience since the advent of more standards compliant browsers over the last decade. Until version 9 it's been an abomination of a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My experience over the years is that IE is head and shoulders over every other browser (with the exception of 6).
    I agree with Dave, you must be having a laugh. Internet Explorer is head and shoulders above any other browser for being a slow, non standards-compliant, bug-ridden shitheap that has wasted countless hours of developer and designer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Aaahhh bless......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

IE 9 has HTML 5 support.

Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Malice wrote: »
    ... that has wasted countless hours of developer and designer time.

Maybe, like me, he's not a developer / designer ... from a user's point of view, IE works fine, I've never found a need to use anything else... tried firefox, chrome, safari and saw nothing worth the effort.

Maybe, like me, he's not a developer / designer ... from a user's point of view, IE works fine, I've never found a need to use anything else... tried firefox, chrome, safari and saw nothing worth the effort.

Well this is the problem. While IE might *seem* to work fine for you, little do you know that it's been damaging your experience of using the web for a long time now due to restrictions caused by its limitations and lack of standard compliance. Never mind that it's cost the global economy millions/billions/who knows dollars.

That's a fair point but given that he's been a Boards user for ten years, is posting on the Web Design forum and says that he has tried other browsers means that even if he's not a developer or a designer, he must have some interest in the area. He is still way more technically-minded than most computer users and therefore should be well aware of Internet Explorer's shortcomings when compared to other browsers.

Saying IE is fine from a user's point of view is a bit like comparing a Nissan Micra to a Lexus. Leaving aside the cost factor, they'll both get you to your destination but one is a hell of a lot more pleasant to drive than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Heres a comparison based on technical things and stuff

15-03_performance_comparison_of_web_browsers_large.jpg

That's based on the latest versions of various browsers though. I have a special dislike specifically for IE6 and IE7. IE8 doesn't seem too bad and I've never tried IE9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's based on the latest versions of various browsers though. I have a special dislike specifically for IE6 and IE7. IE8 doesn't seem too bad and I've never tried IE9.
    Think you're reading it wrong (as I did initially) -- it's pointing out that IE is sh*t :p The response times should be low, not high!

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Think you're reading it wrong (as I did initially) -- it's pointing out that IE is sh*t :p The response times should be low, not high!
    Oops, you're absolutely right. I just glanced at it earlier :o. My post is still valid though :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And Micro$oft's latest 'up yours' is that IE 9 won't be running in XP and older operating systems. So over half of Windoze users won't be able to use it. Well done!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/16/no_ie9_9_on_windows_xp/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Its great to be running a linux OS - don't have to worry about the abysmal heap of crud that is IE ever again as a user; I feel sorry for anyone having to design websites and apps for it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galdikas

egan007 wrote: »
    Bill?

I second that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Its great to be running a linux OS - don't have to worry about the abysmal heap of crud that is IE ever again as a user; I feel sorry for anyone having to design websites and apps for it

Yes indeedy!

Pity this has turned into a browser discussion, but great link OP, I'm very impressed. I don't think it will be the death of flash....well not yet anyway....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

If only I could install Firefox on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

But you can . . . unless you don't have Admin privileges on your PC/laptop??

Zonua wrote: »
    But you can . . . unless you don't have Admin privileges on your PC/laptop??
    Whoosh :).

desaparecidos, it's all well and good being able to run proper browsers on your computer. The trouble starts when you've got to maintain some cruddy web-app that usees ActiveX or in fact any public-facing web-app because, sadly, the majority of PC users just don't care what browser they use. As far as they're concerned the blue E on their desktop is the Internet.

Advertisement