Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web designers and copywriting

Options
  • 18-02-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Well I'm rubbish at it anyway, I constantly find myself struggling to think of text to add to a page bar the bare minimum. From time to time it slows down the design process for me, which may seem silly but I really do try to consider everything that will be on the finished page before I go on.

How do more experienced designers deal with this?
    Is it something all designers should practice?
    Do you get outside help?
    Do you leave it primarily to the client?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Essien wrote: »
    Well I'm rubbish at it anyway, I constantly find myself struggling to think of text to add to a page bar the bare minimum. From time to time it slows down the design process for me, which may seem silly but I really do try to consider everything that will be on the finished page before I go on.

How do more experienced designers deal with this?
    Is it something all designers should practice?
    Do you get outside help?
    Do you leave it primarily to the client?

You should keep text to a bare minimum anyway. There are books devoted to the subject, Letting go of the Words being a good one.

Never use real content when designing. Use Lorem Ipsum ( http://www.lipsum.com/ ), the reason designers, printers and typesetters have been using it for for over 500 years is because when you go present your designs to your client they'll focus on the content, not the design, and you'll end up wanting to assault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

There's a school of thought that says never design without content, in fact I know of a few designers who won't take on a job unless content is finalised. I know it's the ideal, but context is important also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    There's a school of thought that says never design without content, in fact I know of a few designers who won't take on a job unless content is finalised. I know it's the ideal, but context is important also.

Count me in as one of them. But for me that's more to do with having to wait months for content and being unable to bill.

I'd never consider presenting a design, where the design is the focus of the review, with real content. As a designer you're looking for feedback on the design, not the content.

Advertisement