Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Hunting/Longrange scope ideas

Options
  • 17-02-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all im getting a .243 rifle soon and im gonna be using it for deer and also long range targets so does anyone have any ideas of what scope and reticle to get for what ill be using the rifle for? All ideas and comments will be much appreciated!!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What's the budget as that will really dictate the answers you'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭niteowl84

between 200 to 600euro maybe a little more,im looking for a scope and reticle combo that is good for close and longe range shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Swift Premier 6-24x50 is what I have and find it a very clear scope at range.http://swfa.com/Swift-6-24x50-Premier-Rifle-Scope-P7283.aspx

For hunting scopes I much prefer side adjustable parallax. Find it too awkward to reach the Adjustable Objective ones when prone

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 and they can be bought second hand for your budget. Nice scope.

Swift Premier 6-24x50 is what I have and find it a very clear scope at range.http://swfa.com/Swift-6-24x50-Premier-Rifle-Scope-P7283.aspx

what type reticle does it have and what do you have it zeroed at?

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    For hunting scopes I much prefer side adjustable parallax. Find it too awkward to reach the Adjustable Objective ones when prone

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 and they can be bought second hand for your budget. Nice scope.

what type reticle do you use as there is so many to chose from and some need rangefinders to know where to aim when shooting,very confusing!!

The bushnell I have has a mildot reticle

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

niteowl84 wrote: »

http://www.foresightclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/rifle-scope.jpg Ive it zeroed in at 200 yards and where the thin hair meets the thick hair is bang on for 300 yards on the .223.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using the same scope on both my 223 and 308. The retical is Mildot which I find very handy. Even more so now I have the iStrelok balistics calculator as it will show the aim point for the mildot sights. Here it shows the aim point for a 500y target when zeroed @155y and the windage offset.

Dscf1296.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hi all im getting a .243 rifle soon and im gonna be using it for deer and also long range targets so does anyone have any ideas of what scope and reticle to get for what ill be using the rifle for? All ideas and comments will be much appreciated!!! Thanks

The more money you pay the better teh scope you will have for both.
    low light ability is a must for a stalking scope.
    Most deer shot Dawn or Dusk.

Long range magnification is your friend.
    For shooting out past 300 yards on taregts you want all the mag you can get.

I use 32x but I would prefer 42x.

For your Budget you will get a fairly good scope for deer and targets.

Shop around.
    Lots of High end scopes being sold at knock down prices these days

• Advertisement

http://www.foresightclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/rifle-scope.jpg Ive it zeroed in at 200 yards and where the thin hair meets the thick hair is bang on for 300 yards on the .223.

thats another thing i dont quiet understand is zeroing at 200 yards cuz if the center crosshairs are zeroed at 200 well then where would u aim on the crosshairs if the target is under 200yards for example 100 or 150 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

thats another thing i dont quiet understand is zeroing at 200 yards cuz if the center crosshairs are zeroed at 200 well then where would u aim on the crosshairs if the target is under 200yards for example 100 or 150 yards

.243 ~1.2" high @ 100 bang on 200 (depending on ammo)

If you are interested in long range shooting forgot about where the cross hairs will be. Dial the scope in so it is dead on for the range you are shooting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Im the same. I zero so its flat out to the zero, then hold over after that. I don't want to have to hold under for small targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

3/12X50 Schmit & Bender is one of the recommended scopes by the late Malcom Cooper for .243 calibre Accruacy Intl rifles.Good long range,and close up settings.
    Seeing that he was an X times British Olympic rifle champ and rifle builder par exellance.I'd guess he knew what he was on about.:)

S&B are rather pricey ,but there is an old adage,buy the best glass you can with your pounds,and pay pennies for your rifle.Still holds true IMHO.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

S&B are great great glass and so too are Zeiss

How much are the conquest 6.5-20x50 scopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Have this on sale for a while. Reduced now. Would suit 243 perfectly.

Leupold VXII 6-18x40AO with Stoney Point Target Turrets and Butler Creek Rear Flip-up cover. Boxed and mounted/used once. Surplus to requirements. €500

€440 Collected/ €460 Posted (Perfect out to 600+)

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-ii-riflescopes/vx-ii-6-18x40mm-adj-obj/
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/294b190dd71760c235695035/Leupold+VX-2+6-18x40+A'2FO/

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

S&B are great great glass and so too are Zeiss

How much are the conquest 6.5-20x50 scopes?

Got one for a mate before xmas from the US.
    cost around 900 euro after postage, import duty and vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Download the likes of BRC (ballistic recticle calculator) free from Hawke optics, this is for their own recticles but will show the trajectory above and below the line of sight for whatever zero you want. This will give you a close starting point but will change with different bullet weights and barrel lengths etc. It is also adjustable for different scope heights which is something else to factor into your budget as you don't want to put a decent scope into poor mounts. A point to remember about magnification is that the higher the mag the smaller the field of view which makes it harder to find your target, this doesn't matter on the range as the target isn't going nowhere but deer can be fickle. Another point I would consider is that the more 'bells and whistles' on a scope the less quality you'll get for the price. A .243 hunting rifle isn't really a competitive long range target rifle so I would lean towards getting the most suitable for the type of deer hunting you expect to do.

Thanks everyone for the help and recommedations i have some scopes in mind now so goot do a bit of saving for the rifle and scope but cant order the 243 till march as there not available till then. Thanks again everyone.
    Much Appreciated!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement