Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we being exploited by oil companies?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I see very little about our oil and gas supplies being pilaged in main stream media but there seems to be a lot of people who seem to be 'radicals' who keep harping on about this. They keep on about the billions that the government have given away.

Are these people only 'crazy hippies' or do we have more oil than the Arabs? Only saw on the FG site that someone was on about it.

Can remember from geography in school that we have some but it would only become viable to mine if there was a significant increase in prices.

So whats the actual story with it?

EDIT: What I mean by radicals are those who have very different views to me. That is, they go lying down in front of oil lorries and stuff protesting and are usually retired with gray bushy hair and sound like they are from northern England. Anyway this isnt the point. Whats happening with our oil????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Apparently any oil we may have is not needed yet, as the world is not short of it yet. Popular conspiracy theory type people will claim that the west will wait until they deplete the middle eastern countries before we have to rely on our own..Maybe true, i dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's nearly €1.50 for a litre of petrol these days.

Most of that is tax, so if we're being exploited by oil companies, we're being exploited even more by our government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they dont need to exploit us, all they have to do is ask fianna fail for free oil and gas they get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

How much oil/gas has been discovered by Shell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well define exploited..

I'd say yes, but at the same time I'm happy to be able exploit the ability we have to avail of oil and all of its glorious uses. It's just raw capitalism, and everyone appears to benefit from that. Still think it's a load of tosh though.. we were fcuking ourselves up for the long term 40 years ago.. now the long term is just around the corner.

Anyone seen the new Zeitgeist movie btw? =p

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Are oil companies being exploited by OPEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

I doubt we are being exploited by oil companies, since there are no active oil fields in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Are oil companies being exploited by OPEC?

Is OPEC Being exploited by the West? Is the West being exploited by crab people??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's nearly €1.50 for a litre of petrol these days.

Most of that is tax, so if we're being exploited by oil companies, we're being exploited even more by our government.

http://www.pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

85 cent per litre of petrol to the government.....
    and 11 cent to Joe Soap selling it and yet every budget it still goes up.

It's the same price now as it was in 2008 (when the cost of a barrel of oil was 100+ dollars) despite the cost of oil being ~86 dollars/barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I was asking about Irelands oil and gas fields specifically, not about duties on petrol. Do we have large quantities of fuel off our coasts that the gov are flogging off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Is OPEC Being exploited by the West? Is the West being exploited by crab people??

This statement is just ridiculous, how is OPEC being exploited by the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who needs big oil when we have turf and donkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well Oil Beef Hooked!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Yes.
    Ev84 wrote: »

yup

You're arguments are very compelling. It's all so clear now. :rolleyes:

Spread the word. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

i for one welcome our new claw weilding overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

are we - maybee

why dont we know ? :

main stream media : says nothing

indymedia & other left wing domestic terrorist bullsh*t lies media : says yes, so that pretty much means no

so to be on the safe side id say no

Advertisement