Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis and the 9 year rule

Options
  • 17-02-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

First time poster here so hopefully my post is in the right place. I am a Dublin taxi driver and a drive a very smart 00d chryslar Voyager, it is the executive version and I keep it spotless and get lots of nice compliments from the passengers. Unfortunatly due to the 9 year rule enforced by the Taxi Regulator I will not be able to renew my Taxi Licence when it expires at the end of the month. I have tried everywhere to get a loan or finance to get something newer but have not got anywhere. Primarily because of a credit card problem that I have not resolved and also because I don't think anyone is going to finance a Taxi driver anymore. I am at my wits end with the whole situation. I have been pinning my hope's on an upcoming courtcase that some taxi driver's group have taken but have heard nothing yet. Has anyone any advise or suggestions that might send me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Try the credit union?

I agree with the 9 year rule btw. Some shocking cars out there. Shame for you a few bring the whole thing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Catch all rules unfortunately affect genuine people like you.
    But your comrades in battered Toyota's are to blame. There are some pieces of scrap on the ranks

Agree with the credit union. If you have a track record they might do business with you and give this loan. Try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_1999/56.aspx

I do sympathise with you, and I appreciate that you make much more of an effort than someone else, but from an overall perspective, passengers should have the right to travel in as safe a car as possible. (government subsidised, possibly, since you're providing a public service)

Would you be able and buy something much smaller, but newer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davynorthside

Sort of turning into a debate but here goes. Taxis have to be tested twice, normal Nct test and a seperate suitability test. At the second test could they not refuse the old bangers and allow the really nice 00 reg BMW 5 series fully loaded car that some unfortunate Taxi driver bought years ago because he takes his job seriously. What would you prefer to be a passenger in? The BMW or a 7 year old Megane? The catch all rule is not fair its just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I think the only answer to your question is that you will have to rent a Taxi. Rent out your licence to help cover some of the cost.

I drive a wheelchair accessible Taxi and Im off the road next year because of the M1 standards. I cant get a loan either. So its rent or dole. The truth is I cant afford either.

By this time next year we will have a 5% accessible fleet compared to London which is 100%, well done Taxi Regulator...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 davynorthside

Would not be able to rent out my Plate/Licence because if I Cannot get Car to replace mine then the Licence expires on its renewel date. I Think that when the regulator first came up with the idea that no one foresaw the economic situation to come. Also to people that think it will give us a brand new world class fleet I think you are mistaken. You will see lots of bordeline bangers 8/9 years old, a lot of taxi drivers will scape maybe a grand together, get maybe an 8 year old car that scrapes through the limits. I know many people don't have time for taxi drivers problems but seriously how many institution are going to lend Taxi drivers money when civil servants etc are having problems accessing credit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Would not be able to rent out my Plate/Licence because if I Cannot get Car to replace mine then the Licence expires on its renewel date. I Think that when the regulator first came up with the idea that no one foresaw the economic situation to come. Also to people that think it will give us a brand new world class fleet I think you are mistaken. You will see lots of bordeline bangers 8/9 years old, a lot of taxi drivers will scape maybe a grand together, get maybe an 8 year old car that scrapes through the limits. I know many people don't have time for taxi drivers problems but seriously how many institution are going to lend Taxi drivers money when civil servants etc are having problems accessing credit themselves.

Sell your plate to someone who will put it on a newer car. Then rent it back off him. Plenty of people around lusk and rush will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... could they not refuse the old bangers and allow the really nice 00 reg BMW 5 series fully loaded car that some unfortunate Taxi driver bought years ago because he takes his job seriously. What would you prefer to be a passenger in? The BMW or a 7 year old Megane? The catch all rule is not fair its just lazy.

I see your point but if it was down to that criteria it would become a beauty contest and it would be impossible to enforce a uniform rule. One man's banger is another man's classic.

Sadly the OP with his well-maintained car is the victim of the blanket rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

First time poster here so hopefully my post is in the right place. I am a Dublin taxi driver and a drive a very smart 00d chryslar Voyager, it is the executive version and I keep it spotless and get lots of nice compliments from the passengers. Unfortunatly due to the 9 year rule enforced by the Taxi Regulator I will not be able to renew my Taxi Licence when it expires at the end of the month. I have tried everywhere to get a loan or finance to get something newer but have not got anywhere. Primarily because of a credit card problem that I have not resolved and also because I don't think anyone is going to finance a Taxi driver anymore. I am at my wits end with the whole situation. I have been pinning my hope's on an upcoming courtcase that some taxi driver's group have taken but have heard nothing yet. Has anyone any advise or suggestions that might send me in the right direction?
    Just to make things a little bit clearer for everybody,, the taxi regulator has never given a reason for the new rule, and also it has never offered monetary help (such as a grant) to any taxi/hackney owner who would have to obey the new rule... For those who say fair play to the taxi regulator, I say to you! what do you think the reason for the new rule is? because i've been driving a hackney for 8 years now and i cant figure it out. I drive a 2001 vw passat,, it is regularly serviced it is spotless inside and out,, my NCT shows clearly it's emissions are way below the NCT fail level,, not to mention air bags and safety overall. So why next April or May must i spend 6,000 or 7,000 euro on a 05 or 06 car, which will only last me another few years,, in those few years I'll be saving for my next car while also maintaining that one. The regulator has approached all the money lending institutions to ask for leniancy towards taxi/hackney owners in the coming years,, is that not what got this (once great) wee country in the recession it is in at the moment. look maybe I'd like to try and put a few €€€ away for a rainy day, rather than worrying about where I'm gonna find money for my next car. It's as simple as this ,, there's no money in the taxi game to maintain a 9 year rule, as a taxi man our life savings will ALWAYS be going towards the next car,, UNBELIEVABLE.:mad:

Try the credit union?

I agree with the 9 year rule btw. Some shocking cars out there. Shame for you a few bring the whole thing down.
    This is a very serious situation,, and for evey taxi driver to suffer because of a few, is not acceptable. I think SHAME on the regulator and all of it's out of touch advisors. They have got it so WRONG.

• Advertisement

steph1 wrote: »
    And taxi wimmin :D:D:D
    A bit sorry in a way I got rid of the merc but then again it was petrol and was drinkin the stuff but I am delighted. However there are going to be some drivers who have changed and are not going to be happy and I do feel for those that have now had to fork out for newer cars and may be having to pay back loans if they were lucky enough to get finance. All of this could have been avoided if the regulator had stuck to the plan of bringing in the rule in 2012 and there would have been none of this messing.
    We dont seem to be able to anything right in this country :mad:
    :eek: Sorry of course Steph,, and taxi women:pac:,, yeah well you should feel proud, because if it wasn't for the likes of yourself and others,, maybe we wouldn't be hearing this great news. People really needed to know what was going on in the Irish taxi industry, and you portrayed that very well. So give yourself a slap on the back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Discussion of the ban overturn is moved here

Advertisement