Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martingale and Nose flash

Options
  • 17-02-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi folks,
    Whats the view of martingales and nose flashes.Are they essential safety tools or do they restrict the horses movement and responsiveness to the rider.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not essential, by any means, but needed in some cases. Both needed to be fitted correctly,however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I agree with byhookorbycrook. If the horse hold its head very high, and holds its mouth open to evade the bit, then it may be necessary. That's after you check for possible underlying problems and/or injury.

They shouldn't restrict movement if properly fitted and are there to improve responsiveness to the rider. They are not at all essential however, and if they can be avoided, should.

If you aren't sure, don't use them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

They're not something which should be used unless absolutely necessary. As already posted, it's best to rule out injury/pain/teeth issues before using them. I have a habit of only introducing a new piece of tack, such as a noseband, martingale, new bit, etc. unless absolutely necessary. Often removing 'accessories' can be as helpful as introducing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

the less stuff you can put on your horse the better is the general idea! that said, my horse does wear a breastplate purely because i think it looks pretty :) but that isnt intended to restrict or inhibit an action by the horse; flash nosebands can disguise teeth problems etc - if the horse is opening its mouth to escape pain, then forcing it shut with a flash/grakle etc only serves to mask problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

I agree with the other posters.
    I've recently been using a running martingale on my horse. I had changed his feed from a cool oat-free to to a high quality (oaty) formula, but he's young and got fizzy and quite strong, throwing his head up and running away with me despite my best attempts to slow him (!) so it was a safety measure as much as anything. Right back onto oat-free diet, and after a few days hope to remove the martingale again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Poppo

Hi All
    Many thanks for your interest and help.:) I find it strange that nobody is advocating this equipment for general use.Every horse in this part of the country, whether out for a hack, jumping a course of fences or hunting is kitted out with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Poppo wrote: »
    Every horse in this part of the country, whether out for a hack, jumping a course of fences or hunting is kitted out with both.

Hi Poppo
    This may be the crux of it actually- working my horse in the arena, I don't tend to use the martingale unless I really need it, and I note other riders don't use one either.
    But I find that people tend to use martingales and/or nose flashes when they're out cross country or hunting, myself included, as horses can be a bit more "free" out in the open, and particularly when hunting they can get excited galloping alongside other horses - so the aids increase the riders' control of the horse. Just my humble opinion though!
    And I wouldn't use a standing martingale cross-country / hunting, only a running one, but maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I had an incident while hunting with a young horse, he reared up and slipped falling back onto me. I had no martingale on at the time. i have been using one ever since, if you feel horse about to rear a quikly fpull on reigns brings him under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op

Alot of people use martingales from day 1 as it gives the backer something to hold onto and then just never take them off.
    If you do any dressage or go for a genuine flat lesson you learn not to use it.
    A huge number of people just use them because they are attached to the bridle.

I bet if you were to do a poll of the people at the local winter SJ league they would prob say they never take them off.

I would take it off after the 3rd or 4th day once a horse is riding forward. As said above if you have a bolshy one a martingale is a help and handy to grab onto;)
    Then Id only use for jumping or x-Country as it does give you that extra bit of control.

Flashes Iwould only use if again I need it no matter what Im doing. But even then would do my best not to use it to much at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I ride my horse without a flash but the girl who has him on half livery uses one, he doesnt try to evade/open his mouth when I'm sitting on him so must be in the group lessons. He's always had a martingale on, hes a short little guy that likes his head in the air. As said above too, rule out any injury/teeth/uncomfortable tack before changing tack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Yellowyorange!

I use a running martingale on my mare all the time. She gets a bit fast when jumping, or if there are a lot of horses around, and the head tends to go up a little bit, hence the martingale. Tried a flash on her for a short while, but it just irritated her and caused her to shake her head like a nut (she can be a bit heady anyway.) The flash actually made her LESS responsive, because she was to busy shaking her head, even though she has her teeth done regularly and it was properly fitted. Although they work wonders on other horses so i suppose it just depends on the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Use a running martingale on my young fella as he likes to throw his head up, but use no noseband at all.

Same on the rising 3 year-old we've just backed, no noseband from the start, but no martingale as he's a lot steadier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Instead of a full martingale for a neck-strap, I use a breast plate ,with the martingale staps taken off it, so it stays put, but doesn't effect the cob.
    He has a flash for most things, inclined to poke his nose and carry head high, without it.

Advertisement