Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 white macbook..options?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 3:10pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a macbook last year, and i LOVE it, but it's about time i spend some coin, beefing it up!

It's a
    2.26 core 2 duo with 2gb of ram.

what's the MOST ram this machine can take? i've read reports of it taking 8, some say 6...whats the safest bet?
    also, it's got a 250gb hard drive, but i would ideally need more space on there, as i'm using it for audio production, and playing live, so need as much HDD space as possible.
    can anyone reccomend an upgraded hard drive for me? i was thinking maybe a 1tb SATA drive, can these be gotten in 7200rpm?

any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Officially the max RAM is 4GB, but afaik it will take up 8GB. How well that works is another thing.

I'm not aware of any 7200rpm 1TB notebook drives. I don't think there are even that many 1TB drives at the moment. Make sure you get one without a motion sensor as it conflicts with the Macbook's built-in one (although this can be disabled if need be).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yeah I've read around that anything up to 8 can be lightning fast, but very un predictable.

I might chance putting 6 in and see how I get on, can't really afford to have it crashing on me when djing off the laptop!

I'm going to have to research the hard drive options some more I think.
    Could you reccomend somewhere to buy the parts online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Crucial for the RAM.

Kompett for the hard drive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Excellent.

Really appreciate that

Advertisement