Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

PZ 165 repair

  • 17-02-2011 1:31pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ mf690


    Has anyone experience with replacing the pans on aPZ 165 drum mower.
    Is it a big job or just awkward.


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 vanderbadger


    mf690 wrote: »
    Has anyone experience with replacing the pans on aPZ 165 drum mower.
    Is it a big job or just awkward.

    do you mean the saucers underneath? if so its not too bad, handier if you can turn it over, i think its 3 allen bolts underneath that just need loosening, if you dont turn her over it can be hard to line up the 3 holes with the saucer


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭ reilig


    do you mean the saucers underneath? if so its not too bad, handier if you can turn it over, i think its 3 allen bolts underneath that just need loosening, if you dont turn her over it can be hard to line up the 3 holes with the saucer

    yes. I agree. Roll it over and you'll get it much easier. Loosen the 3 bolts and have a tyre lever or crow bar to lever them off as they push neatly into the shaft. Also check the pans before you take them off - PZ mowers are prone to bearing and shaft wear at the bottom. Put the mower on the tractor, lift it up and try to shake the pans. If there is any movement then it would be best to strip the whole lot down now, get the shafts rebuilt and replace the bearings. If you replace the pan and the shafts are worn then you'll likely have to replace it again after 20 acres mowing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ mf690


    Thanks for the advice lads. Just been out pricing replacement pans best price for the set is €410 inc vat might be more than the mower is worth. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative. Is welding a plate over the pan a runner.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 vanderbadger


    mf690 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads. Just been out pricing replacement pans best price for the set is €410 inc vat might be more than the mower is worth. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative. Is welding a plate over the pan a runner.
    why are they just cracked or what, surely a good welder could tidy them, we welded a fairly big crack in our 1 years a go i remember


  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ TUBBY


    Had same thing with a PZ 165 myself. By the time i got the parts (even fixing it myself), I had more than the yoke was worth spent cause the bearings needed replacing when I started into it. If saucers are shook, it is starting to go everywhere I reckon. Best job could be let her off for spares or as a trade-in on a newer mower.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭ reilig


    you'll get spurious pans a lot cheaper than that. About 2 years ago I got one pan for Eur125. I'll have a look around. You could also try a second hand one - there ought to be a good few of them scrapped.


  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ westlander


    reilig wrote: »
    you'll get spurious pans a lot cheaper than that. About 2 years ago I got one pan for Eur125. I'll have a look around. You could also try a second hand one - there ought to be a good few of them scrapped.

    Theres a guy in longford that rebuilds saucers for PZ mowers. They're even heavier than the saucer I took out (probably due to my one being well worn).

    Forget what I paid for it though but was definitely over 100 Euro


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 vanderbadger


    you could ask this lad what shape his ones are in
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/1910117


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ mf690


    Thanks for all advise bought two new pans from internet €100 each. Tackled job at weekend a finished and ready to make hay.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rorss


    Hi Can any one help me .
    Is there a company in longford that reconditioned mower drums
    Thanks Rorss


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ jimmy2pens


    mf690 wrote: »
    Thanks for all advise bought two new pans from internet €100 each. Tackled job at weekend a finished and ready to make hay.
    on what website did you get these?


  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ TUBBY


    rorss wrote: »
    Hi Can any one help me .
    Is there a company in longford that reconditioned mower drums
    Thanks Rorss


    there is rorrrs. I have their number somewhere but when I rang them I thought they were woeful dear. I picked some up off a local lad after in perfect nick for half the money. I would keep an eye on DD instead.
    Will check for the name, number anyway and get back to you


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ mf690


    I bought my saucers from e-bay I also got a few bits from Westlake plough parts spoke to lad called Mark knows his stuff . Just Google to find the website.


  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ farmer2018


    Why would the bottom saucers have play in them on a pz 165, would something be starting to go?



Advertisement