Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 2.0l Diesel Auto Gearbox

Options
  • 17-02-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Audi A4 2.0l TDi Auto. 50,000kms.

I purchased a '06 Audi A4 last year from an Audi main dealer, and have noticed in past two months that on the first drive of the day, it takes about 5 mins of driving to go beyond 4th gear(In Automatic mode).

I can select any gear I wish whilst in manual mode but the issue arises whenever it's left in Automatic, and only for the first 5 mins of it been driven in the morning.

I brought this to the attention of the dealer's service dept, but they claim that it's normal as the engine is just warming up.

The reason I ask is that a separate dealer (Not Audi) mentioned that that specific model's gearbox was known to have problems.

Any ideas if what the Audi Service department stated is correct?

The Warranty is due to expire in April and I would like to have it sorted prior to that date if indeed it needs repairing/replacing.

Any thoughts

Thanks in advance

Comments

Cartech wrote: »
    I brought this to the attention of the dealer's service dept, but they claim that it's normal as the engine is just warming up.

Might be true, diesels take an age to heat up, the autobox keeping her in 4th until the engine is up to temp may well be a feature. Mine does similar but a KV6 petrol heats up in no time so it's not an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... Mine does similar but a KV6 petrol heats up in no time so it's not an issue.

Trouble is it keeps heating and heating......;)

Trouble is it keeps heating and heating......;)

No actually KV6 engines in the 75 and ZT didn't, they are so good Topgear got a ZT190 around the track quicker than the ST220 Mondeo, no Cosworth or Volvo to help the ford lads so it was hardly surprising :pac:

Anyway, do you have any input into the actual query the OP has? Probably not ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    No actually KV6 engines in the 75 and ZT didn't, they are so good Topgear got a ZT190 around the track quicker than the ST220 Mondeo.....

Really? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

I can't help on the diesel autobox thing, I haven't a rashers.

Really? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

I can't help on the diesel autobox thing, I haven't a rashers.

:p

lkeomgrlyyar128578473236080386.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

They tested both the 190 and the 260, the 190 was fractionally quicker than the 260 but they just lashed them both down as they removed the list that had both on it

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=263728

• Advertisement

Sorry James I plain don't believe what's written on Rover fanboy forums. Bunch of oddballs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

OP, I have an Audi automatic, although it's not a diesel, but I experience the same thing in cold weather. The colder it gets, the more reluctant it is to change up, till it reaches operating temperature. If you have tiptronic you can force it to change up and it won't do any harm, but I usually just assume the computer knows what it's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

firefly08 wrote: »
    OP, I have an Audi automatic, although it's not a diesel, but I experience the same thing in cold weather. The colder it gets, the more reluctant it is to change up, till it reaches operating temperature. If you have tiptronic you can force it to change up and it won't do any harm, but I usually just assume the computer knows what it's doing.

That sounds downright sensible tbh. Out of curiousity, how is the autobox when mated to the diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi all,

Audi A4 2.0l TDi Auto. 50,000kms.

I purchased a '06 Audi A4 last year from an Audi main dealer, and have noticed in past two months that on the first drive of the day, it takes about 5 mins of driving to go beyond 4th gear(In Automatic mode).

I can select any gear I wish whilst in manual mode but the issue arises whenever it's left in Automatic, and only for the first 5 mins of it been driven in the morning.

My Tiptronic Porsche does the same thing. When the oil is cold, it does take longer. If I warm it up by leaving it ticking over for a few mins, it works...better...so it is a temperature thing.
    The reason I ask is that a separate dealer (Not Audi) mentioned that that specific model's gearbox was known to have problems.

Your Indy is not necessarily incorrect - the clue is in the type of automatic gearbox in your car..

For instance, there are 3 types iirc.
    1. Torque convertor automatic - most commonly known in VAG cars as 'Tiptronic'. Most closely related to 'traditional' automatic - aka 'slushbox' - automatics. Is prone to the cold oil thing but it's not a problem - no more than a cold engine has a cold heater......has it had an oil and filter change ? (check the service history..if it's not there, you can be 99% certain it's NOT done..)
    2. DSG. This came in in.....2005 iirc.......and is actually a 'manual' box, but with 2 clutches. Very good, not known to have any major issues.
    3. Multitronic. This, this does give problems. We have an 09 car here with 44k kms, and the gearbox is fubar'd - Audi are fitting a new one under warranty shortly. Crappy gear changes, and issues selecting reverse.

So, which have you actually got ?? If it's no. 3 - get in there for a warranty replacement imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement