Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remux avi to mkv on a Mac?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 1:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any applications that can do this on a Mac? Google is no help. I really haven't a clue about video converting, encoding, etc. I know it's possible to do this on Windows, but I only have a Parallels image so it's likely to be very slow and a lot of hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

handbrake is your best bet, easy to use, and can convert anything to MP4 or MKV(container)

handbrake.fr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks, but from what I can see, Handbrake will only transcode the file, which takes forever. I just want to change the container from avi to mkv.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Sorry, just saw remux there in title.

Unfortunatly I know in Windows but never tried on Mac

Something like Subler, but I think this only remuxs to mp4

Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

MKVtoolnix has a mac version. It includes a gui for MKVMerge which is what most people use for muxing MKVs.

Just drag your AVI into the input window, do whatever you want in terms of naming streams, importing subs etc, and then click 'Start muxing'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Worked perfect. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

i just downloaded vlc player for macs so i now can play avi formats, bit quicker and easier than converting the files

Yeah I know, but this was for a file I wanted to watch on my WDTV player. The avi file kept going out of sync for some reason. Changing the container to mkv fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

you can also get Perian, which allows QT to play almost any file, including mkv. although there can be one or two issues with it, its handy for everyday stuff

Advertisement