Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offer not upheld

Options
  • 17-02-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Not sure were to post this, would be grateful for some guidance on this issueMy mother in her 60's went for a job interview last week and was appointed to the position. The interviewer confirmed she would start the two day training for the position the following Monday & Tuesday, and that my mother would be contacted on the Friday to confirm the details. FridayOn Friday afternoon my mother phoned the interviewer as she received no contact, she was told by her secretary that the person in question was sick and out of the office and that she would make sure she would get a phone call first thing on Monday morning in relation to the training.MondayOnce again my mother phoned at 11 to request more details, the secretary returned her call shortly after this on behalf of the interviewer apologising that there was a breach of contract with the person she was due to take over from and the position was no longer available. My mother was extremely upset over the whole experience.I tried phoning the person in question yesterday but received no reply. Is there anything that can be done in this situation? My mother did not sign anything so it was a verbal contract. Is the company breaking any rules such as data protection for interviewing for a position that is not available?I would be grateful for any help on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Just let it go. You will get no where with this, best to forget about it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Seeing as there was no contract, and she has not worked there for more than 13 weeks, she is not entitled to any week long notice or anything like that.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/act/pub/0004/sec0006.html#zza4y1973s6

I'm sorry to hear about this as I can understand your elderly mother is rightfully upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even if your mother had signed a contract, then at best all she could hope for would be to be paid the notice period, given that you can be let go very easily while on probation.

Sounds like an unfortunate situation for your mother, but as Gaz says, she needs to move on from this one.
    Rokc10 wrote:
    Is the company breaking any rules such as data protection for interviewing for a position that is not available?

I don't think that would be a matter for the DPA at all - unless some very sensitive information about the person who was supposed to be leaving was disclosed to your mother - either way, your mother wouldn't be the complainant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I've heard of people who gave in notice for their previous jobs only for the job offer to be revoked. Nothing you can do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rokc10

Thanks for your replies on this, hopefully my mother will get a job soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I've heard of people who gave in notice for their previous jobs only for the job offer to be revoked. Nothing you can do unfortunately.

... except lobby your TD (or right now, candidates) to have the law changed so people in this situation at least are paid some compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I'm sure its against the rules but it would be great to have the company in question named and shamed! I've seen people promised so called good position, only to give up their jobs and be treated like dirt because the new employer knew they were trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Happened to me many many years ago. Ugh... what a nightmare.

Best you can EVER hope for is the min notice period of wages ... without a contract that is zero, with a contract is probably 2 or 4 weeks.

Be careful when giving your notice!

Advertisement