Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of seeing the Northern Lights over the next couple of nights ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I am heading northwards on friday evening.. hope somethings is still visible then.. thanks for sharing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

apparently.....
    Something I'd love to see, sadly I'm probably not far enough North.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12485104

That makes interesting reading, Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

apparently.....
    Something I'd love to see, sadly I'm probably not far enough North.
    I pointed out on another thread yesterday that the aurora was visible all over the country at the end of Oct 2003. Unfortunately the moon is full on Friday which would be a problem even if it is visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Looking forward to seeing them :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Geomagnetic activity is very low tonight. Not much chance of seeing anything tonight. Full moon will drown out the feint aurorae if they occur, such as the green north horizon glow. Keep an eye out here for realtime data. http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/rt_activity/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i saw them in 2003 from here!! really nice/weird sight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

The SpaceWeather gallery has a photo taken by Conor McDonald in Maghera (NI) on the 15th this month.

Conor-McDonald1.jpg

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_01feb11_page2.htm?PHPSESSID=ui8n6u8elqiqgbs71ev98v50s3

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

That's a filter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Anything celestial like this lost on us those who live in urban areas.

What are the chances of success if we get a campaign going to turn off all the street lights say between 1am to 5am every night? There are dozens of reasons to turn off the street lights - and some against it - but mostly it's very beneficial in many ways. And we would get to see the sky properly for a change (something I sorely miss as I grew up in a tiny village with no lights and my memory of the sky has a easily visible band of milkyway even). May be this deserves a thread on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I often seen them as a kid in rural West Clare, not colours as such but a glow advancing and fading on the northern horizon. Now I live in NE Scotland and have never seen them here! Raining here tonight:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Amazing pic thanks for posting....
    Anyone see any Northern Lights this week?
    (By that I don't mean Sinn Féin either!) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Amazing pic thanks for posting....
    Anyone see any Northern Lights this week?
    (By that I don't mean Sinn Féin either!) :mad:

no :(

Advertisement